Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Birthday Present (A little gift from me to you!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged

File: Mystic levelpack.zip (85.7 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Birthday Present (0)  
In honor of my 31st birthday, I'd like to give everybody a present: my own 60-something-level custom pack! :yay It's mostly levels I've posted previously, but there are several I made but haven't released yet.

Radiant: I'll PM you the PW. I hope it works, I've never password-protected a zip file before. Also, I'm not planning to use these or any other levels in the 2008 level design contest (if any), unless I've submitted them before October 31.

Click here to view the secret text

11-01-2008 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
icon Re: Birthday Present (0)  
If you intended it to be only for Radiant, why didn't you just PM him? Now you've just built up suspense :(
11-01-2008 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Mystic

File: Mystic levelpack.zip (84.7 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
Sorry if I disappointed, insulted, offended, etc., anyone by password-protecting the zip file. I didn't even know I could send files in a PM.

To try and make up for it, here's the pack again, this time with no password. Also, just an FYI, there's a level called "Welcome," which I meant as a sort of intro to the pack.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 11-02-2008 06:17 PM]
11-02-2008 at 06:15 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
:hbd :yay

So... what game are they for? :)

[Last edited by zwetschenwasser at 11-02-2008 08:16 PM]
11-02-2008 at 08:13 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Very nice! Thank you, Mystic!

11-02-2008 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
zwetschenwasser wrote:
So... what game are they for? :)
All the levels are for ST1. I haven't played around with ST2 nearly enough yet to know what I'm doing. I've had some fun fooling around with the wires, but that's about it.
Radiant wrote:
Very nice! Thank you, Mystic!
You're welcome. I was sort of planning a large pack anyway (total 75-100 levels), but decided to release it much, much earlier due to a massive case of writer's block; that, and things were getting to be too quiet around here lately, making my birthday a good release date. Besides what's in the pack, I also have about 8 or 9 more that are half-completed at best, plus a few dozen that exist only as titles.

11-03-2008 at 01:13 AM
Celtic Minstrel
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Are you going to make it into an expansion pack, Radiant?
11-05-2008 at 05:01 AM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
Very nice pack Mystic! My only complain/criticism is that some levels are either short, too easy, or nearly impossible. That said, I think the innovation you used in some of the puzzles (Fill 'Er Up!, Falling Up and Down, A Cast of Thousands and hell, the concept of Crazy Eights, to name a few), were amazingly creative! You has talent! :D

11-07-2008 at 05:53 AM
The Mystic
Danjen02 wrote:
My only complain/criticism is that some levels are either short, too easy, or nearly impossible.
Yeah, I know some of my levels are short; and in some cases, they're very short. It's sort of become my style. This is because I tend to get a bit confused when designing levels that are larger than the editor display (zoomed out), so don't expect too many large levels.

Out of curiosity, which levels did you find too easy/hard?

11-07-2008 at 04:39 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
I found the following levels "hard". Not that by "hard" I mean either too long or complicated, or difficult to see what I had to do:
Boxed In
Crazy Eights
Department of Teleportation
Pay Ratio
Square Route
Through the Pipes
X Rated

11-07-2008 at 11:37 PM
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
Happy Birthday

The Mystic wrote:
I tend to get a bit confused when designing levels that are larger than the editor display (zoomed out)

I find it quite the reverse, which is probably why I haven't put too many levels out yet, I have too much space to fill!!!

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-08-2008 at 10:39 AM
The Mystic
Danjen02 wrote:
I found the following levels "hard". Not that by "hard" I mean either too long or complicated, or difficult to see what I had to do:
Boxed In
Crazy Eights
Department of Teleportation
Pay Ratio
Square Route
Through the Pipes
X Rated
Boxed In: This one can be a bit tedious. Just move the crates away from the right color gate, and use the dynamite to remove some crates and/or walls to give yourself more space, allowing you to move lines of crates later on.
Crazy Eights: I can sympathize with your frustrations on this one. The secret is carefully planning your moves, pausing to see where all your players are. The best solution is to cause the rocks to fall to the bottom of each chamber (to avoid somebody getting killed) and away from the exits. I also found that it helps to wall in a player next to his assigned exit after collecting his gems; this gives you less to worry about.
Department of Teleportation: This one also requires careful planning, though not nearly to the extent of Crazy Eights. By using the one-way passages, you can move horizontally and vertically through each portal, collecting gems as you go.
Pay Ratio: Collect only emeralds and rubies, avoiding the diamonds as much as possible until the toll gates disappear.
Square Route: This one is actually very simple; go vertically through the portals, then horizontally (or vice versa) to collect the gems.
Through the Pipes: A study in masochism. The trigger marks the starting point, and you should only go through one-way passages to reach the end. I know it's not much of a hint, but if you'd like, I could find the solution again (I haven't solved it since making it) and either post it here or PM it to you.
X Rated: You need to step on each X (except for one, which basically does nothing) in a specific order.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 11-09-2008 04:42 AM]
11-09-2008 at 04:39 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Celtic Minstrel wrote:
Are you going to make it into an expansion pack, Radiant?

Yes, I intend to do that before the end of the year.

Thanks again, Mystic. Incidentally, if you have any remarks about levelpacking (e.g. which order you want them to be in) drop me a PM. If not, I'll figure it out :)

12-18-2008 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Radiant wrote: if you have any remarks about levelpacking (e.g. which order you want them to be in) drop me a PM. If not, I'll figure it out :)
I just redownloaded the pack (I had deleted it from my computer), and will be looking through it to see if there are any special instructions; there shouldn't be that many. I'll PM you shortly.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 12-19-2008 03:24 PM]
12-19-2008 at 03:23 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Birthday Present (A little gift from me to you!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com