Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Mac holds don't have icons
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Mac holds don't have icons (0)  
Lamkin posted this bug in the general forum, but that thread became bogged down by irrelevant chatter, and was since deleted (not by me), so I'm starting a new thread here.

[Last edited by eytanz at 10-17-2008 08:40 AM]
10-16-2008 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: Mac holds don't have icons (0)  
Apparently, there is still a good deal of confusion about this, so allow me to clarify that for me, any given DROD or DROD-RPG hold file currently shows a generic file icon, so there is an image for each and every hold that OS X has simply applied to the file by default.
Here is a screenshot:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-17-2008 06:00 AM]
10-17-2008 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Mac holds don't have icons (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
Lamkin posted this bug in the general forum, but that thread became bogged down by irrelevant chatter, and was since deleted (not by me), so I'm starting a new thread here.
What's the bug here?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-18-2008 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Apparently, they're supposed to have icons. Maybe this is a feature request, I couldn't figure that out from the original thread.

10-18-2008 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I understood it as that the .hold and .demo files, which under windows has a custom image, do not under mac.
10-18-2008 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
mrimer wrote:
What's the bug here?

Both .hold and .drh files have a default generic file icon for Mac OS X, which is to say that it does not show an icon of Beethro wielding his sword like it apparently does under Windows. (You might wish to view the screenshot I posted above for further clarification.)
I had requested a png image of a Windows hold icon so that I could copy and paste it onto each of my respective hold files, but it appears that the aforementioned Beethro icon is identical to that of the one used for DROD-TCB, so I'll simply borrow that.
The only polite suggestion I would make would be to have the icon for a hold be slightly different than the application it is associated with in order to avoid possible confusion (at a glance) as to which is which.

If drmrimer himself was unsure of the meaning of my initial request, then it surely must be have been confusing, so I apologize profusely for my earlier, um, lack of patience.
:blush
I'm currently in the process of losing my home for the second time in six months, so I haven't been very tolerant as of late. :ranting

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-18-2008 09:33 PM]
10-18-2008 at 07:53 PM
mrimer
Lamkin wrote:
Both .hold and .drh files have a default generic file icon for Mac OS X, which is to say that it does not show an icon of Beethro wielding his sword like it apparently does under Windows.
Oh, okay. Not a bug, but a fine feature request. These files get an icon when users associate the .hold and .drh files with the application that should run when you activate them (i.e. DROD). I don't know how to make .dmgs on OS X auto-associate file types when you open them.
I'm currently in the process of losing my home for the second time in six months, so I haven't been very tolerant as of late. :ranting
Oh, no! That sounds terrible :(

10-19-2008 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Evidently, once I press the Import button to add any given hold, the file itself is no longer needed and can essentially be trashed; deleting the files is preferable to me, because I'm not fond of the (virtual) clutter.
Aargh!!!
:selftwak
Ph.D.Dr.mrimer, I'm very grateful for both your patience regarding my trivial request and your genuine concern for my dire situation.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 10-19-2008 01:55 AM]
10-19-2008 at 01:43 AM
mrimer
Lamkin wrote:
Evidently, once I press the Import button to add any given hold, the file itself is no longer needed and can essentially be trashed; deleting the files is preferable to me, because I'm not fond of the (virtual) clutter.
Yes, that's right. If you don't care about keeping the .hold files around, you may delete them after Importing them into the game and the game won't need them after that point. You'd only need the .hold files again if you want to reimport them into the game at some later point for whatever reason.

10-19-2008 at 09:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Mac holds don't have icons
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com