Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Each Attack / Each Defend / Wait for Event Monster engaged
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon Each Attack / Each Defend / Wait for Event Monster engaged (0)  
I've been playing with custom equipment some more, and I'm slowly finding that the current limitations these commands are running under are being... troublesome.

As an example, I've been trying to script a shield that gives the equivalent of "Goblin Weakness" to particular enemies. But it's not working, because of the following:

* Wait for event Monster Engaged: Only runs *after* the battle has finished.
* Each Attack: Doesn't work at all on shields or accessories.
* Each Defend: Only runs *after* the defend that triggered it. While this doesn't interfere with the example above, it *does* interfere with the counterpart of trying to script something similar to "Goblin Weakness" (but say you don't want it to affect goblins) on a custom *weapon*.

So is there a reasoning behind it working out this way? I'm asking this now so that if it *is* worth changing the order, it can be done before too many holds that might make use of it are released. And if anyone has other comments to add to this, then feel free. This is mostly inquiry rather than straight-out request, since it's the combination of things listed above that's restricting what I'm trying to do, not a particular single thing.

(Also: it would be nice if there was an event that equipment could run when a monster is *defeated*. Monster engaged does seem to run after the battle, but the effects are essentially visible *during* the battle, which isn't optimal.)
09-30-2008 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Each Attack / Each Defend / Wait for Event Monster engaged (0)  
TFMurphy wrote:
Would you elaborate on this? I'm not getting your meaning.
* Each Defend: Only runs *after* the defend that triggered it. While this doesn't interfere with the example above, it *does* interfere with the counterpart of trying to script something similar to "Goblin Weakness" (but say you don't want it to affect goblins) on a custom *weapon*.
What kind of behavior would you prefer?
So is there a reasoning behind it working out this way? I'm asking this now so that if it *is* worth changing the order, it can be done before too many holds that might make use of it are released.
I'm not sure what order you're referring to.
(Also: it would be nice if there was an event that equipment could run when a monster is *defeated*. Monster engaged does seem to run after the battle, but the effects are essentially visible *during* the battle, which isn't optimal.)
That's a possible addition we could work on.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-30-2008 05:22 PM]
09-30-2008 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
mrimer wrote:
TFMurphy wrote:
Would you elaborate on this? I'm not getting your meaning.
Each Attack only seems to be called by a weapon during an attack. Using it on a Shield or Accessory doesn't work. While this is limiting and sorta makes sense for the Shield, it's even more limiting for an Accessory, which has no real reason for not being able to catch Attack or Defend calls.

mrimer wrote:
What kind of behavior would you prefer?
Well, the critical thing is that if you change ATK or DEF values from this command, it doesn't take effect until the next attack. As an example, I was trying the following code on a weapon:
  Set var "_MyATK" = 0
  Each attack Attack
  Go to End
Label Attack
  If ... 
        Wait until var "_EnemyDEF" = 15
     Set var "_WeaponATK" = _ATK
  Else 
     Set var "_WeaponATK" = 0
  If End 
Label End

So here, I'm making it double the Attack of the player (well, sorta - I don't check whether the Shield or Accessory is increasing ATK too, but since I'd have to custom build equipment to do that in the first place, I'm not worried) if the enemy they're fighting has a Defense of 15. The Defense of 15 isn't important; it's just a quick way to identify what enemy the player may be facing. But the ATK change doesn't happen on the first hit, so the first hit does lesser damage.

(And I've just remembered why it's so difficult to script Weakness in the first place - even if all this was working in my favor, I still wouldn't be able to get around the "not enough base ATK to even start the battle" without using some rather nasty scripting on monsters. Huhm... what are the chances of getting Goblin/Wyrm Weakness to work on Shields and Accessories anyways? ^_^;)

mrimer wrote:
So is there a reasoning behind it working out this way? I'm asking this now so that if it *is* worth changing the order, it can be done before too many holds that might make use of it are released.
I'm not sure what order you're referring to.
Just the order things happen: like I said, equipment scripts running Monster engaged can't affect stats *during* the current battle, and using Each Attack/Defend can't affect stats during the current Attack/Defend, when they'd be most useful for ATK/DEF changing properties. I was mostly wondering if there was a hard reason why it was this way and if it'd be difficult/impossible to change, since it seems like it'd be more useful for the equipment to affect the attack.

That said, I could be missing certain situations where it'd be much better to have it happen after, hence this is more of an inquiry than a request just yet.
09-30-2008 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
If you want it to happen after (and the command is changed as you request), can't you just use "Wait 0"?

[Last edited by Someone Else at 09-30-2008 07:08 PM]
09-30-2008 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Each Attack / Each Defend / Wait for Event Monster engaged
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com