Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Glowing DROD RPG review
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
IP: Logged
icon Re: Glowing DROD RPG review (+2)  
Hey, thanks. I'm glad you like Tendry and his ridiculous lines.

My favorite is the bizarre sound Tendry makes when you run him into a pit.

"BaNAna!"

It happens just infrequently enough that it is amusing rather than snotcurdlingly annoying. And it certainly has that potential. If I am hospitalized for a snot clot, you'll know why.

I haven't finished the game yet (it's very unforgiving!), but I've only cringed at Tendry about 7 times, which is pretty good for listening to one's own voice. Mostly, the lines I cringe at are ones I rewrote that are just a little bit too silly, especially those moments where Tendry stretches a metaphor a little bit too far ("butter substitute of resoluteness"? What was I thinking? Though I do like it when he offers the resoluteness to his roach. Anyway). I'm prepared to cringe a lot when I get to the song. So that'll be good.

Thanks again for the kind words.
09-24-2008 at 10:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Glowing DROD RPG review (0)  
Abbyzzmal wrote:
Mostly, the lines I cringe at are ones I rewrote that are just a little bit too silly, especially those moments where Tendry stretches a metaphor a little bit too far ("butter substitute of resoluteness"? What was I thinking? Though I do like it when he offers the resoluteness to his roach. Anyway).
Actually, that metaphor is one of my favourites, though I've only played the demo. It made me burst out laughing.
09-24-2008 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlefBet
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 979
I agree the "butter substitute" line was awesome. It starts off as a fairly standard metaphor and then by degrees drags the listener further and further into the ludicrous until, like Wile E. Coyote, we suddenly look down, realize where we are, and comedy ensues.

++Adam H. Peterson
09-25-2008 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Glowing DROD RPG review (+1)  
Am I the only one who was constantly reminded of The Tick while listening to Tendry's metaphors?
09-25-2008 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Tendry is awesome. Also, I think this might be the only game where I've actually burst out laughing the first time I died. You haven't seen the last of meeeee...

[Last edited by trick at 09-25-2008 08:48 AM]
09-25-2008 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Honestly, the voice acting...

Mostly isn't that bad.

Tendry himself is, yes, /excellent/. I actually sort of like the contrast--it makes Tendry look like the real person, and the Empire people look...well, like dry, stilted people.

The fact that every single Tueno person sounds like the same strange old guy actually kinda makes me laugh.

Halph gives me the feeling that everything he's saying is regurgitated straight out of what the Patrons told him to say, word for word.

10-01-2008 at 09:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
And you were expecting from the Empire anything less?

10-01-2008 at 11:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ghinsu
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
what is resoluteness? when you lose roachie, he says he only has a bag of resoluteness in his back pocket, what's that? poison? it made roachie mad lol
05-12-2009 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
ghinsu wrote:
what is resoluteness? when you lose roachie, he says he only has a bag of resoluteness in his back pocket, what's that? poison? it made roachie mad lol
Resoluteness means that Tendry is always full of determination to stick firmly to his goals and beliefs, but at that particular moment he can only jokingly offer a "gob"—a small amount—of his own resoluteness to his pet roach instead of any actual food.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 05-13-2009 04:31 AM]
05-12-2009 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
There was a line earlier, maybe you missed it, about being lost deep beneath the surface with nary a morsal to suckle upon but the world-weary bread of courage and nothing to spread upon it but the all-but-too-natural butter substitute of resoluteness or something like that. It probably had fewer adjectives than that. When Tendry offers the roach some resoluteness, he is retaining the metaphor from before, but applying it to the physical realm. He refers to resoluteness and food as one in the same. It's just a silly line to the viewer, but to him, this is introspective gallows humor. Tendry is on the brink of death down here, spouting all kinds of nonsense trying to comfort himself; a casual observer might think he's delusional, but in this line, we see another side of Tendry, and see that he is completely aware of how clouded his perception is, which might call into question whether his perception is clouded at all.

05-15-2009 at 09:07 AM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
Kinda hard to believe he's on the brink of death when he has 2000+ HP... :P

[Last edited by Monkey at 05-15-2009 04:12 PM]
05-15-2009 at 04:12 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Monkey wrote:
Kinda hard to believe he's on the brink of death when he has 2000+ HP... :P
He's also intelligent enough to know that even with that much hp, he's still on the brink of death.
05-15-2009 at 04:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
He is more intelligent than his HP, or so he believes at least.

05-15-2009 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
HP is great, but it doesn't fill your stomach.
05-16-2009 at 07:17 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Banjooie wrote:
HP is great, but it doesn't fill your stomach.
How can you say that if you never tried eating a LaserJet?

np: Ulrich Schnauss - Shine (MINT Remix) (Intelligent Toys 5)

05-16-2009 at 10:32 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
This is the internet. Whose to say he hasn't?
05-16-2009 at 05:36 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
This is the internet. Whose to say he hasn't?
This is the internet. Pics or it didn't happen. :D

np: Modeselektor - The First Rebirth (Happy Birthday!)

05-16-2009 at 05:42 PM
Banjooie
Look, maybe a good Canon, but I'd never touch an HP.
05-16-2009 at 09:28 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Glowing DROD RPG review
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com