Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Glowing DROD RPG review
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
IP: Logged
icon Glowing DROD RPG review (+2)  
09-22-2008 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Glowing DROD RPG review (0)  
I'm not sure if the commenters got the exact point of the game, but oh well.
09-22-2008 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
That's an awesome review. I know that Derek Yu has given us some nice plugs over there. It's cool that this Terry fellow gets the DROD thing too.

-Erik

09-22-2008 at 05:10 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
NiroZ wrote:
I'm not sure if the commenters got the exact point of the game, but oh well.
They are doing better than can be expected, I think. Check out the comments at Game Trailers if you want to be frustrated and depressed. A bunch of little snots climbing over each other to be the first to say something about how the graphics suck.

-Erik

09-22-2008 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Yeah, reading those last week got me down...but then I realized those are the same punks who complain about the graphics in the AAA titles too. Since there's no way I can please the nay-sayers, I'll just continue doing my best.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-22-2008 at 07:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Glowing DROD RPG review (+1)  
Just see it like this, mrimer. You may not please very many, but those you do please you please very, very much :)

This guy is just one example of that.
09-22-2008 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3407
Like a lot of people, I watch the Super Bowl partly for the blitz of high-quality ads. It's packed with all sorts of clever ads for Budweiser, Levi's, Outpost.com, whatever. And then, somewhere near the end, Joe Blow's local pizza parlor runs a grainy, low-budget ad - the guy awkwardly speaking in the kitchen, cheap and possibly misspelled text overlaid. Lo and behold, it sticks in everyone's memory in regional market X, but not for its quality, and is roundly mocked around the water cooler the following Monday. It hardly means that he sells a poor pizza, but he has to expect that he's going to get unfavorably viewed when his ad comes right after the one that cost a few million dollars to make. As long as it brings in some of the local college kids, he'll do OK, even if the blurb in the college paper was more effective; all he really needs, after all, is a loyal clientele and some new people stopping in every so often. I imagine he doesn't lose much sleep over it, and certainly he doesn't need to go on a tirade about how his pizza is underappreciated and how he doesn't have the resources to put out a commercial like Domino's can and how all the vegans out there would really love his pepperoni pizza if they'd just try it. And if he does lose sleep over it, he needs to accept that he's *not* Domino's, probably never will be, and that's OK.

So maybe it was actually a legal firm that I saw. I just felt that this had to be made about pizza.

09-22-2008 at 07:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I don't think DROD is like a local pizza palor, more the niche music store which just decided to have a speaker playing its music onto the street, only seemingly only to attract people coming in to say that the music sucks.

It really doesn't matter, because they were never the target audience. It's just out there to remind people who are into DROD, indie and puzzles that DROD is still out there, not try to be the next spore and appeal to everybody, win them over and get them ranting.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-22-2008 08:20 AM]
09-22-2008 at 08:19 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
ErikH2000 wrote:
Check out the comments at Game Trailers if you want to be frustrated and depressed.
Gah. "Perpetual September - it's not just for Usenet anymore..." :(

09-22-2008 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I tend to ignore the online opinions of people who can't compose their thoughts in a sentence which doesn't have obvious spelling or grammatical errors.

Going by that rule, there are approximately three negative comments on that site. And I think our positive reviews far outweigh those.

09-22-2008 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Am I correct that everyone said that this is a really good trailer for the the people who already know what Caravel and DROD is?

Fortunately, the trailer wasn't meant to convince new people to DROD RPG. Judging from the reactions about the trailer, it only showed the graphics, the voice acting and the story, which aren't the best qualities of the game.

I must say that the review summed up the game much better than the trailer did. At least it did say that it's a really well thought out puzzle game and that it has great addictive gameplay.

That is the real strength of this game. Try to include those in your next trailer, please. :)

09-22-2008 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Tim wrote:
Am I correct that everyone said that this is a really good trailer for the the people who already know what Caravel and DROD is?

Fortunately, the trailer wasn't meant to convince new people to DROD RPG. Judging from the reactions about the trailer, it only showed the graphics, the voice acting and the story, which aren't the best qualities of the game.

I must say that the review summed up the game much better than the trailer did. At least it did say that it's a really well thought out puzzle game and that it has great addictive gameplay.

That is the real strength of this game. Try to include those in your next trailer, please. :)
Great thinking. Um, if you know a good story-boarder who can show off those things well, I'll take his advice. :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-22-2008 at 02:14 PM
ErikH2000
There's a guy, Malefact, that posted in the comments on TIGSource. He made a nice intro gameplay movie for Tower of the Sorceror--funny and explains concepts well. Maybe something like this for DROD RPG would be good.

-Erik

09-22-2008 at 06:21 PM
Terry
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
icon Re: Glowing DROD RPG review (+3)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
That's an awesome review. I know that Derek Yu has given us some nice plugs over there. It's cool that this Terry fellow gets the DROD thing too.

-Erik

Hi! I really enjoyed DROD RPG. Hope that brings some traffic and a few sales your way; you guys deserve it! :thumbsup
09-22-2008 at 07:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
ErikH2000 wrote:
Check out the comments at Game Trailers if you want to be frustrated and depressed. A bunch of little snots climbing over each other to be the first to say something about how the graphics suck.

-Erik

Unfortunately, many "individuals" were also griping about the quality of the voice acting, which I assessed to be quite excellent on the whole, especially considering the pool of professionals you were able to choose from was probably nonexistent.
Oh, by the way, just because Domino's can afford to make a glitzy, polished commercial doesn't at all indicate that their product itself is worthwhile.

:pizza
:shhocking
:sick

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-22-2008 08:39 PM]
09-22-2008 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Glowing DROD RPG review (+2)  
Lamkin wrote:
Unfortunately, many "individuals" were also griping about the quality of the voice acting, which I assessed to be quite excellent on the whole, especially considering the pool of professionals you were able to choose from was nonexistent.
Yeah, I was happy with voice acting in DROD RPG. Particularly, Michael Abbott's voice for Tendry. Caravel does spectacularly well with writing and voice acting in proportion to its tiny, tiny resources. But on the other hand, we shouldn't expect the players to take that into account. We're obviously not competing with the voice acting in say... GTA4.

To use the DROD RPG metaphor, Caravel starts with 2000 HP and Rockstar starts with 20000000 HP. They smash through all the really expensive monsters, i.e. Screen Actors Guild Zombies (expected damage 5000 HP), and grab the blue key used to access the professional recording studio.

And Caravel takes on all the freebie monsters it can. Here and there we've attacked (I mean hired) some sympathetic and reasonably-priced Voiceover Monsters (expected damage: 50 HP). We don't bother getting the blue key because it is guarded by Wil Wheaton (expected damage 150000 HP).

-Erik

09-22-2008 at 08:36 PM
Lamkin
Tendry was awesome... :)
09-22-2008 at 08:40 PM
ErikH2000
Terry wrote:
Hi! I really enjoyed DROD RPG. Hope that brings some traffic and a few sales your way; you guys deserve it! :thumbsup
Awesome, Terry, thanks again. TIGSource has rocked for a long time, and I wish you guys the best. This is the first place I wander to when I want to discover a new game to play on the PC.

-Erik

09-22-2008 at 08:42 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Ugh, there's someone at TIG complaining about the level 1 (or 2?) exit room, which renders the level unbacktrackable if done wrong. I asked Mike about this in Beta but he wanted to keep it that way. Not smart, on second thoughts. :(
09-22-2008 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Actually, it seems to be referring to the eastern section of Rule 3, where you can leave a Green Key behind and thus lock yourself out of ever getting the Blue Key (which is necessary to escape the level).

About the only reply that's appropriate to making that sort of mistake is essentially: be more aware of your surroundings. There's many choices you can make that can make the game impossible, and many easily visible ones early on helps teach you that so you can start getting into the habit of saving often, which is useful when you start hitting the *non*-obvious bad choices.
09-22-2008 at 09:10 PM
ErikH2000
Lamkin wrote:
Tendry was awesome... :)
Yeah, Michael knows how to add subtle bits of humor with pause and inflection. Example:

"I regret not the failures of my enemies. But rather, my own."

A pretty straightforward line without much built-in humor, but he reads the last sentence raising the "own" on the end. Like Tendry is pondering something very deep, and he may go away and think seriously about it for a while. And that brings out the silliness of the line.

Whatever you give Michael to work with he adds a little value of his own to it. If we ever put some really, really funny material in front of him, he'd get up to the Guybrush Threepwood or Sam & Max level.

-Erik

09-22-2008 at 09:30 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
I agree. When I was playing through it, the voice acting hadn't been added yet, so the only lines I've heard have been over my brother's shoulder as he's been playing. But I haven't heard a line of Tendry's yet that IMHO was poorly delivered. Virtually all of them have had character, and a few have been laugh-out-loud funny.

++Adam H. Peterson
09-22-2008 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I don't know if any of you has actually listen to the trailer (the one linked from TIGSource), but the voice is completely broken, due to low sampling rate. Additionally, the music is so loud that you can't hear the voices clearly.

The voice acting is much clearer and better in the game, but I couldn't understand a bit of the spoken voice acting in the trailer (except the roachie part, but I've seen that before in the game).

[Last edited by Tim at 09-22-2008 10:03 PM]
09-22-2008 at 10:02 PM
Terry
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
Tendry's voice acting really was superb - I particularly liked the line about the stalwart's healthy respect for hierarchy :)

Sorry that some of those comments are a bit dickish... that's not really normal on tigsource... -_-
09-22-2008 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Tendry's funniest (and best delivered) line in the game is when you first acquire the Goblin Biter.

"...exactly like my other sword. Why do I need a new sword?"

09-22-2008 at 10:32 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I'm a fan of "blood of a stalwart", myself.

09-22-2008 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
zex20913 wrote:
I'm a fan of "blood of a stalwart", myself.
what's that? I'm not sure that such a thing exists...

[Last edited by silver at 09-22-2008 11:49 PM]
09-22-2008 at 11:48 PM
Lamkin
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Tendry's funniest (and best delivered) line in the game is when you first acquire the Goblin Biter.

Affirmative, RoboBob. That was my favorite, too.
09-23-2008 at 01:12 AM
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
RoboBob3000 wrote:

I personally had to go back and create a save game at the beginning of that room specifically for that line. I literally got lightheaded from laughing when I first heard that one.

Click here to view the secret text

09-23-2008 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
nabla
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 122
Yes! That was my favourite line too. In later playthroughs I tended to skip cutscenes and leave rooms with dialogue still running, but that was the one I always enjoyed like the first time (or even more so).
09-24-2008 at 12:07 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Glowing DROD RPG review
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes