Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Add hints when an action might render the game impossible to complete 100%
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mihail
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
IP: Logged
icon Add hints when an action might render the game impossible to complete 100% (+1)  
I just solved the entire second part of RPG in one sitting.
Now, I loved the game. It was great and well thought-out. I'll be playing it for a long time to come. Yet stil...

Please don't read on if you don't want spoilers.

Only to find out I'd been doing it wrong all along!
Click here to view the secret text

That was really cheap, guys! Now I have to replay so much! I mean, come on! DROD isn't about grinding *or* repetition!

This really shouldn't be like that.
You know how Beethro used to say stuff, like "Good job, but this room could've been solved by only moving down and right. And without looking."
All of that frustration that I'm feeling now could've been saved by a simple Tendry comment, in which he'd say that yes, you were great, but not optimal.
There should be warnings in the places that might warrant a less than 100% completion of the game. That is, every time a limited resource is expended, or part of a level is permanently closed off. Not something obvious - something shrewd, almost stealthy.

For instance, when entering the Adder room for the first time:
"Ha! A True Stallwart would never cower in the face of such a beast. He would bravely fight him - sword in hand - for it is in the fight that glory is begotten."
And if the Adder is killed by a bomb:
"...But you know, I had a cold that day."
or
"...But I was in a hurry."

My point is this - I'll probably play the game several times. I'll play user-made holds for it. I'll put in my good many hours of gameplay. No point in forcing me to replay several hours for a trivial mistake like that :)

[Last edited by Mihail at 09-22-2008 03:06 AM]
09-22-2008 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Add hints when an action might render the game impossible to complete 100% (+1)  
It is not a real ending, I can assure you of that. It's just a bonus ending. And considering how much easier you must have made the rest of the game by killing the adder, should you really be complaining?
09-22-2008 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
icon Re: Add hints when an action might render the game impossible to complete 100% (0)  
As someone who fell into exactly the same trap, I'd have to agree - some sort of signal that there's another way of dealing with the adder would be extremely welcome. (I'd also appreciate some sort of signal if you're about to permanently lock yourself out of hidden rooms by entering Part II, but that's just me.)

09-22-2008 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Add hints when an action might render the game impossible to complete 100% (0)  
Isn't the guy explicit enough when you get up to the adder?
09-22-2008 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Add hints when an action might render the game impossible to complete 100%
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com