Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : How to uniquely identify an organization anywhere in the world? (A problem I'm working on for IPORR / Ethical Spender.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon How to uniquely identify an organization anywhere in the world? (+1)  
Some of you guys are really good at figuring out stuff like this. Consider this a giant lateral thinking puzzle that I don't actually know the answer to.

What is a good way to identify an organization?

The application for this is making it possible for people to unambiguously rate companies and other organizations on the web. We don't want to create a new registry, (like a DNS server for organization IDs) because that would create an attackable target on which the whole system depends.

We want the following qualities for the org ID:

* Two people should be able to independently arrive at the same unique identifier for an organization, without communication, following a documented process.
* No new registry or assignment mechanism would be created. In other words, Ethical Spender isn't going to proclaim that "Ford Motor Company" is identified with "FORD" and expect everyone to use that code. It is okay to rely on preexisting registries maintained by governments, standards bodies, or other reliable organizations.
* The identifier should work with any organization in the world that can be considered a legal entity, with the exception of individuals.
* The identifier should not be based on DBAs ("doing business as" aliases) or any temporary representations of the organization (i.e. the registered domain name of a website run by the organization). The identifier should be tied directly to the legal entity.
* It is okay for the identifier to rely on non-ASCII character encodings.
* It's not desirable, but acceptable, to have a more complex encoding system where the format of data included in the identifier changes based on the type of organization. An example would be having one encoding system for nonprofit organizations and another for commercial (profit-based) organizations, i.e. "np-fordfoundation-usa", "com-fordmotorco-usa".
* It's not desirable, but acceptable, to have directories for looking up encodings for known organizations. This alleviates the pain of a process that requires significant research. It must still be possible for someone to arrive at an encoding without consulting a directory.

Ideas and Comments

* Most every organization files taxes with the country it is based in. If there are public resources to learn taxation identifiers in every country, then we could probably piggyback off that, i.e. "USA-263258692" identifies Ethical Spender.
* (Most?) every country has legal mechanisms to avoid assigning redundant business names. Sometimes you can register a name at both a local (i.e. state or province) and national level, so it can get a little complicated. If we could identify the domain in each country that a business name is unique, then that might suffice. So for example, Ethical Spender is registered in just Washington state and the identifier for it could be "USA-Washington-Ethical Spender", which makes it distinct from a theoretical Ethical Spender in England, i.e. "UK-Ethical Spender". Ford is nationally registered, so "USA-Ford Motor Company" works for it. A follow-on problem with this system is coming up with unambiguous ways to identify states/provinces and other domains. My suggestion here is that the name of domain should always be spelled in the official language of the country, using character encoding (i.e. unicode, utf-8) as needed.
* Security exchange identifiers are an attractive option for identifying companies because the information is public, easy to find, and well-maintained. But if these are used then we still need alternate formatting for unlisted organizations.

-Erik

09-18-2008 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: How to uniquely identify an organization anywhere in the world? (+1)  
Probably notable that there's a city in Alberta that has a Burger King. It is not the usual burger king you're used to.

They just were Burger King before the big chain, so defended their names in court just fine.

So, yeah, you'll definitely want a system that can differentiate by province when necessary.
09-18-2008 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: How to uniquely identify an organization anywhere in the world? (0)  
Banjooie wrote:
Probably notable that there's a city in Alberta that has a Burger King. It is not the usual burger king you're used to.
That's actually a good real-world example to test against whatever process we come up with. I'll throw it on the wiki under "test cases".

-Erik

09-18-2008 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
ErikH2000 wrote:
I'll throw it on the wiki under "test cases".
Or maybe not. I can't find any info about it on the net. The general principle holds though.

-Erik

09-18-2008 at 03:56 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Couldn't find an Alberta one either, but here's a similar situation from Illinois.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_(Mattoon,_Illinois)]Mattoon, IL Burger King

EDIT: Can't seem to get the link to work quite right but you can cut and paste easily enough.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 09-18-2008 04:35 AM]
09-18-2008 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: How to uniquely identify an organization anywhere in the world? (+2)  
there's probably a decent argument to be made for formatting the identifiers according to the standards for URIs (not, I do not mean to say that you can use existing URLs as the URIs for your organizations - since those are transient). what that argument is left as an exercise for the reader. (you can smell my ambition to write textbooks and/or teach college from here)

my "gut solution" would be:

organization:// country / province / city / year / month / day / chosen-name

where country/province/city == where the org was filed as founded originally (of course, it might be multi-national or whatever, but it still had to file somewhere first. even if only by minutes. in any case, the org can more or less choose their city of founding if it's ambiguous)

(province == country) in countries that don't have subdivisions, but can never be omitted

country/province/city are names at the time of founding and never change even if the places change names.

year/month/day == when the org was founded

chosen-name == the name chosen by founders on the day of founding (or their initial registration with the "organization://" service provider) and can never change

there are probably holes in my solution, but I'm not finding them off-hand -- I mean, there's "obvious" problem of two groups trying to found the same named org on the same day in the same city, but in practice, that won't really come up (and if it does, the second org gets to choose a different org URI and stuff it. there's no shame in that, their org URI doesn't have to be what they call themselves. and eventually some court or another will probably obliterate or a force a rename on one of the orgs, anyway)

unfortunately, I haven't addressed all the facets of the original problem - I can lookup (somewhere) where and when Ford Motor Company was founded, but I don't know their "chosen-name" so I can't find the URI unless there exists a service provider that tells me this or allows a search by where/when :/ . perhaps replacing "chosen-name" with some kind of tax ID would solve this (except for organizations which don't have to, or don't choose to, file taxes). I have an implied org that hands out org URIs, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

another solution might be to replace "chosen name" with the kind of search to be applied thereafter - "bytaxid/...." "bynasdaqid/...." "byWhateverTheJapeneseStockExchangeIsCalledid/..." though that might lead to multiple URIs for a single organization.

[Last edited by silver at 09-18-2008 03:08 PM]
09-18-2008 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
This isn't a contribution towards solving the actual problem, but if you do end up needing a system to represent countries and their administrative subdivisions I suggest taking a look at or around ISO 3166-2.

(Note: I'm merely pointing out that this particular subproblem has a "standard" (har har) 7-bit-ascii solution; I don't know what the conditions for commercial use are.)
09-18-2008 at 08:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
I suspect Erik is looking for something which can be used (by Ethical Spender, for instance) without some sort of international legislation :)

If you did end up with something like silver's suggestion, I expect it'd be worthwhile to shorten the leading bit by encoding it, so you'd end up with something like organisation://<a few digits>/Common-Name - along the lines of the ISBN code.

09-18-2008 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
silver wrote:
there's probably a decent argument to be made for formatting the identifiers according to the standards for URIs
I like the URI style. It's useful for RESTful solutions down the road. Also, hReview, a MicroFormat I'm interested in using, happens to specify a URI for identifying the target of a review.

organization:// country / province / city / year / month / day / chosen-name

Yeah, this seems a good solution from the standpoint of guaranteeing uniqueness. I'm thinking of switching the order like so:

organization:// chosen-name / country code / province code / city / year / month / day

And I think it should be possible to use more ambiguous forms of an ID until a conflict is found, then publishers get notified and asked to make more specific corrections in much the way a webmaster gets bitched at for bad links. So somebody might start out publishing a rating with:

organization://Burger+King/USA

...and then someone informs them there is a separate Burger King in Illinois, so they do a little more research and change it to:

organization://Burger+King/USA/FL/Miami/1954

I know this goes against the rule I gave about 2 people arriving at the same identifier independently, but the principle is still there: if both people follow the same process all the way through, they'll eventually arrive at the same identifier. Since partial matches are possible, and most orgs can be usefully identified with less information.

I also think its useful for the information arrangement from left-to-right to reflect the order of research a person would do. The first thing you'd learn is the name of the legal entity. Then it wouldn't be hard to figure out which country they were based in. Province, city, and year of founding is a little harder, but its the type of info that pops up on company webpages and wikipedia. Month and day of founding is likely the hardest, because you have to deal with government records, some of which may not be online.

I can lookup (somewhere) where and when Ford Motor Company was founded, but I don't know their "chosen-name"
Yeah, that seems like a hard part. "Ford Motor Company" may be a DBA, for all I know. The legal name might be "Ford, Incorporated" or "Henry Ford Horseless Carriages and Foot Massages, Unlimited".

another solution might be to replace "chosen name" with the kind of search to be applied thereafter - "bytaxid/...." "bynasdaqid/...." "byWhateverTheJapeneseStockExchangeIsCalledid/..." though that might lead to multiple URIs for a single organization.
Yeah, that would be a dealbreaker for me.

Thanks for the well-considered ideas, silver.

-Erik

09-18-2008 at 09:37 PM
ErikH2000
Znirk wrote:
This isn't a contribution towards solving the actual problem, but if you do end up needing a system to represent countries and their administrative subdivisions I suggest taking a look at or around ISO 3166-2.
This is a good source. I would still like to find something that doesn't depend on ISO though, because to my knowledge, you have to buy papers from them and then they are only for your use. I bought a paper from them before on Vehicle Identification Numbers, so I could know without a doubt (no relying on diligence of wikipedia writers) how VINs were formatted. I had to legally agree not to distribute the document anywhere before receiving it.

At the link you've shown, someone has gained permission to publish a list of codes. I guess that's good that ISO would let them do that, but when that particular list becomes dated (new countries, new provinces), someone will have to get permission to publish the latest list from ISO again.

So something similar, but openly published, is ideally what I'd like to use.

-Erik

09-18-2008 at 09:47 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
I'm not quite sure of its legal status, but perhaps you could use the list of country-code top-level domains?

09-19-2008 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Watcher wrote:
I'm not quite sure of its legal status, but perhaps you could use the list of country-code top-level domains?
The one that is based on ISO-3166-1? ;)

09-19-2008 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Watcher wrote:
That's interesting, but reading through the history, it doesn't seem like a very stable or easy to follow standard. Stuff like "tp" changing to "tl", and some codes available but not officially in use.

Here is a quick-and-dirty way I thought of to come up with an abbreviation system:
1. Use the latest CIA World Factbook to come up with a list of countries.
2. For each country, if multiple names are listed, select the name which corresponds to the English spelling (ASCII-friendly).
3. Put all those names in an alphabetized list.
4. For each country in the list...
a. Look at the first three letters of the country. If those aren't already claimed, use it for the abbreviation.
b. Otherwise, look at the letters 1, 2, and 4, for an unclaimed abbreviation. Then 1, 2, and 5, and so on.
c. If that for some reason didn't work, some other unclaimed combination can be found using a procedure which I won't detail here, but you know is possible to have.
5. Generate codes for the "Administrative Regions" and "Dependent Areas" listed for each country using similar steps.
6. Once a code is assigned, it can never be reassigned.

So for example, here are all the "A" countries. Most of these codes are the same as the ones assigned by STANAG-1059 (NATO's standard, based on an ISO standard):
AFG - Afghanistan
ALB - Albania
ALG - Algeria
AME - American Samoa
AND - Andorra
ANG - Angola
ANU - Anguilla
ANT - Antartica
ANI - Antigua and Barbuda
ARG - Argentina
ARM - Armenia
ARU - Aruba
ASH - Ashmore and Cartier Islands
AUS - Australia
AUT - Austria
AZE - Azerbaijan

Here are codes for the German states:
BAD - Baden-Wuerttemberg
BAV - Bayern (Bavaria)
BER - Berlin
BRA - Brandenburg
BRE - Bremen
HAM - Hamburg
HES - Hessen
MEC - Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania)
LOW - Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony)
NOR - Nordrhein-Westfalen (North Rhine-Westphalia)
RHI - Rheinland-Pfalz (Rhineland-Palatinate)
SAA - Saarland
SAX - Sachsen (Saxony)
SAO - Sachsen-Anhalt (Saxony-Anhalt)
SCH - Schleswig-Holstein
THU - Thueringen (Thuringia)

So there is a standard that doesn't need a standards body to maintain it. Well, except sorta the people that put together the CIA World Factbook. But that's a public domain publication that's been published annually since 1971, and now its even updated every 2 weeks. The worst problem with using it might be that it depends on US recognition of sovereignty, which could, in theory, differ significantly from the rest of the world. If there were a similar United Nations publication, that would probably be a better choice.

-Erik

09-19-2008 at 10:13 AM
Beef Row
ErikH2000 wrote:
Here is a quick-and-dirty way I thought of to come up with an abbreviation system:
1. Use the latest CIA World Factbook to come up with a list of countries.
2. For each country, if multiple names are listed, select the name which corresponds to the English spelling (ASCII-friendly).
3. Put all those names in an alphabetized list.
4. For each country in the list...
a. Look at the first three letters of the country. If those aren't already claimed, use it for the abbreviation.
b. Otherwise, look at the letters 1, 2, and 4, for an unclaimed abbreviation. Then 1, 2, and 5, and so on.
c. If that for some reason didn't work, some other unclaimed combination can be found using a procedure which I won't detail here, but you know is possible to have.
5. Generate codes for the "Administrative Regions" and "Dependent Areas" listed for each country using similar steps.
6. Once a code is assigned, it can never be reassigned.

-Erik

The trouble with this is that it may generate dependencies on older factbooks.

Say Afghanistan (AFG), were to split into two coutnries, say Afghane Alliance and Afghanistan.

Now, someone using a new factbook to arrive at names would arrive at
Afghane Alliance (AFG), Afghanistan (AFH). To know that it should be Afghane Alliance(AFH), Afghanistan (AFG) instead, you must refer to an older factbook to determine Afghanistan's code, but a newer one for Afghane Alliance, which could be difficult to arrive at on one's own, and depends on multiple data sources and a grasp of which have been used in the past.

EDIT: this clearly applies equally to a hypothetical UN version. If all countries were members of the UN, I would say order of admission would generate a nice number, but some aren't, so this is no good either.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 09-19-2008 11:31 AM]
09-19-2008 at 11:29 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I think that's rare enough to manually fix.
09-19-2008 at 12:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
NiroZ wrote:
I think that's rare enough to manually fix.

Well, sure, but one of the major criteria Erik mentioned for this project is people arriving at the same answer independently so I'm just mentioning a potential extra dependency of that method.

09-19-2008 at 12:54 PM
ErikH2000
Beef Row wrote:
The trouble with this is that it may generate dependencies on older factbooks.
I agree that it probably would eventually. But you would have "unofficial" resources like wikipedia to document what names had already been assigned. These would be fairly stable and trustworthy resources to learn all but the most recently added countries. Since there is a relatively simple, repeatable, and accessible way to assign codes, you'd expect any errors in the unofficial resources to be corrected pretty quickly, if they ever surface. If someone maintained records of names and when they were assigned, it might only take 30 minutes or so to verify the entire assignment and add new entries. And that's doing it by hand--with some software, it could take seconds.

EDIT: I should add that though avoiding reliance on unofficial resources is a requirement, it's fine to use these unofficial resources to smooth over difficulties for more casual users of the system. They just must not be necessary for the system to work.

By the way, going back to ISO-3661. I do see the ISO-3661 country codes regularly published in CIA World Factbook. That would be enough for me to consider using them. If I could find the province/state codes reliably and publicly published as well, then I'd be happy to just use ISO.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 09-19-2008 06:45 PM]
09-19-2008 at 06:43 PM
kmt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
ErikH2000 wrote:
Ideas and Comments
* Most every organization files taxes with the country it is based in. If there are public resources to learn taxation identifiers in every country, then we could probably piggyback off that, i.e. "USA-263258692" identifies Ethical Spender.
In the US, almost all businesses have to get something called an Employer Identification Number or EIN. The only business that are exempt from this requirement are self employed individuals with no employees. The EIN is a unique nine digit number. (By the way, Ethical Spender's EIN shows that you applied for it over the internet.)
Unfortunately, there are a few problems. The biggest one is that tax information is confidential. Whatever else you may think of the IRS, they take that very seriously, so they won't be issuing a directory of EINs anytime soon. Also, once you get past the mom and pop stage, most business have multiple EINs. (Usually, one for each office.) Using your example, Ford probably has hundreds of EINs
On the other hand, every state requires employers to contribute to the state unemployment insurance fund. Most states use the federal EIN. Unfortunately, I would guess that this is confidential, too.

ErikH2000 wrote:
* Security exchange identifiers are an attractive option for identifying companies because the information is public, easy to find, and well-maintained. But if these are used then we still need alternate formatting for unlisted organizations.
Securities registrations are public information. Therefore, any company that registers with the US Securities and Exchange Commission (the SEC) has an ID number that is public information. This is probably as good as it will get. The problem you face here is that there are an awful lot of companies that are privately held and don't register with the SEC. For example, Publix Super Markets, M&M/Mars, Bechtel, ToysRUs, Fidelity Investments, Hertz, IKEA and SC Johnson(Windex, Pledge, Raid, etc.).
Perhaps a private rating agency (e.g. Dun & Bradstreet, Moody's, etc.) might have a more complete list of companies.

ErikH2000 wrote:
* (Most?) every country has legal mechanisms to avoid assigning redundant business names. Sometimes you can register a name at both a local (i.e. state or province) and national level, so it can get a little complicated. If we could identify the domain in each country that a business name is unique, then that might suffice. So for example, Ethical Spender is registered in just Washington state and the identifier for it could be "USA-Washington-Ethical Spender", which makes it distinct from a theoretical Ethical Spender in England, i.e. "UK-Ethical Spender". Ford is nationally registered, so "USA-Ford Motor Company" works for it. A follow-on problem with this system is coming up with unambiguous ways to identify states/provinces and other domains. My suggestion here is that the name of domain should always be spelled in the official language of the country, using character encoding (i.e. unicode, utf-8) as needed.
In the US, business names are granted by the individual states. This causes no end of headaches to businesses that want to create a national presence. Worse, imagine that you are Wile E. Coyote and you have just discovered that there is an Acme Anvil Company in New Mexico and an unrelated Acme Anvil Company in New Jersey. Which is the one that sells the quality anvil?

09-20-2008 at 06:38 AM
ErikH2000
I found you comments very useful, kmt. I'm guessing you've got some profession or training that helps you know this stuff?
kmt wrote:
In the US, business names are granted by the individual states. This causes no end of headaches to businesses that want to create a national presence.
Well, my understanding is you can register for a trademark in the US, and that would distinguish you from local companies bearing the same name. So if you are awarded a trademark on the name, then you are:
* Acme Anvil Company/USA
Worse, imagine that you are Wile E. Coyote and you have just discovered that there is an Acme Anvil Company in New Mexico and an unrelated Acme Anvil Company in New Jersey. Which is the one that sells the quality anvil?
The ID could distinguish the two like so:
* Acme Anvil Company/USA/NM
* Acme Anvil Company/USA/NJ

And making use of silver's suggestions, there could be further distinctions made if that was still ambiguous, i.e.:
* Acme Anvil Company/USA/NJ/Trenton/1952/9/30

I'm not saying it would be a piece of cake to disambiguate everything, but it should be possible.

What do you think of the problem of learning a businesses legal name and state of formation when maybe all you have to start with is a brand name or DBA?

-Erik

09-20-2008 at 06:36 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
ErikH2000 wrote:
* Two people should be able to independently arrive at the same unique identifier for an organization, without communication, following a documented process.
Which two people? Two employees of Ethical Spender, two dedicated users, or two casual users? If it's the former, you can make it arbitrarily complex. If it's the latter, well, I could find out where, and perhaps when, Nike or Subway or the U-Wash-We-Wash laundromat was started, but it may be enough effort to keep me from wanting to. (Especially because borders aren't always obvious, and businesses move. Macintyre & Moore is, in my mind, a Somerville (MA) business, but I think it started in Cambridge and moved to Somerville; and for that matter, it moved to a street in Somerville that's two blocks from the Cambridge border, and, the hell with it, I'll just go buy from Amazon.)
09-21-2008 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Tahnan wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Which two people? Two employees of Ethical Spender, two dedicated users, or two casual users?
People who want to publish rating on products and companies. Think bloggers or consumer education groups.
If it's the former, you can make it arbitrarily complex. If it's the latter, well, I could find out where, and perhaps when, Nike or Subway or the U-Wash-We-Wash laundromat was started, but it may be enough effort to keep me from wanting to. (Especially because borders aren't always obvious, and businesses move.
You might be right that it is too hard to research a company's legal name and where/when they were founded. I still don't know what information is available to do this. I think that maintaining unofficial directories would be helpful for less committed reviewers. Maybe even just editing Wikipedia entries of companies to include this information.
Macintyre & Moore is, in my mind, a Somerville (MA) business, but I think it started in Cambridge and moved to Somerville; and for that matter, it moved to a street in Somerville that's two blocks from the Cambridge border, and, the hell with it, I'll just go buy from Amazon.)
From the person requesting a rating, the perspective is different: you scan a barcode or type in a UPC. The manufacturer part of the code is associated with an organization ID, and you don't have to worry about anything more. Alternatively, if you enter in "Macintyre & Moore" in a freeform text search, you'll get a list of companies weighted by their probability of being the one you mean. Then you choose the one you want. In most cases, I think there would only be one company to choose from.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 09-21-2008 06:16 PM]
09-21-2008 at 06:15 PM
kmt
ErikH2000 wrote:
I'm guessing you've got some profession or training that helps you know this stuff?
I hope it won’t jeopardize my CaravelNet membership, but I’m not a math guy. In real life, I’m a CPA. For what it’s worth, between current clients and companies I have consulted for, I have worked with corporations in twenty states and all of them have been registered at the state level. For a few big reasons – state corporation taxes and enforcement of state labor laws, to name a couple - I can’t imagine that the other thirty states are different. However, this is easily researched. (Go to the state’s website and search for forming a corporation.)
ErikH2000 wrote:
Well, my understanding is you can register for a trademark in the US, and that would distinguish you from local companies bearing the same name.
Take the anvils, for example. You are correct that the trademark is registered nationally - at the US Patent and Trademark office. Since the trademark is national, both of the Acme Anvil companies cannot use the trade name “Acme Anvil” in the US. Let’s say that the New Mexico company has trademarked the name “Acme Anvil” and that the New Jersey company has trademarked the name “Road Runner Anvil”. The trade names are distinct, so you would only need to disambiguate the companies not the trademarks.

Please note, however, that not every business registers its trademarks. It turns out that I have a client in the music business in New York. By coincidence, there is a manufacturer of windshield washer fluid in Pennsylvania that has the identical corporate name. They both sell their products under their corporate name. Since the products are so different, there is no confusion and, therefore, there is no need to go to the time and expense of registering with the Patent and Trademark office. And of suing the other guy to relinquish the trade name.
ErikH2000 wrote:
And making use of silver's suggestions, there could be further distinctions made if that was still ambiguous, i.e.:
* Acme Anvil Company/USA/NJ/Trenton/1952/9/30
I think silver’s idea is pretty good. I like the notion of going down to the lowest political entity that would require unique business names. It is difficult to imagine any country, state, county, township or municipality allowing duplicate names. This is for the same reason as above – it is easier to enforce the laws and administrative codes when you can identify corporations with a unique name. That being said, in the US some political entities might rely on the federal EIN, which is unique, to identify corporations. I am not aware of any political entity doing this to the point where they allow duplicate names. However, as my dear, sweet, grey-haired mother always says, “You never know.”. So, while my inclination is that adding the date of incorporation might be overkill, you never know.

In the states where I have clients, practices vary with businesses that are not incorporated. For your purposes, this will mostly be partnerships and LLCs. For example, in New Jersey, they are registered at the state level. However, in New York, partnerships and LLCs are registered at the county level. This means that it is possible for two partnerships in New York State to have the same name. This is where silver’s nomenclature scheme comes in handy.

I am not trying to be difficult, but have you considered the following situations?

In the US, searching for corporate names (as opposed to partnership and LLC names) won’t need to go lower than the state level. My one concern would be slight differences in the names. For example, Amalgamated Dirt Co., Amalgamated Dirt Corp., Amalgamated Dirt, Ltd., Amalgamated Dirt, Inc., and Amalgamated Dirt Co., Inc. are five separate companies.

Some situations will be ambiguous where you have to distinguish between the trademark and the business. Consider that my brother in New Jersey decides to buy a can of Pepsi. Pepsi Cola is a registered trademark of Pepsico, registered with the Patent and Trademark Office and is protected nationwide. However, the can of Pepsi he is drinking was produced by the Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company, Inc., located in Piscataway, New Jersey. That company produced the can of soda under a license from Pepsico, a Delaware corporation, whose headquarters are in the northern suburbs of New York City. How would you characterize this? Franchise situations (e.g., McDonalds’s) present similar problems. Are you looking to link the product to the national brand or to the franchise owner of the store where you bought the burger?

How will you handle generic or store brands? Consider Kenmore appliances which are Sears’ store brand. The appliances are manufactured for Sears by someone else. Depending on market conditions that someone else can change over time.
ErikH2000 wrote:What do you think of the problem of learning a businesses legal name and state of formation when maybe all you have to start with is a brand name or DBA?
I don’t work with consumer products, so I can’t give you an informed opinion, but for the most part, I don’t think it would be too difficult. If all I had to work with was a brand name or D/B/A, I would google it and hope for the best. Of course, that solution would be a little labor intensive. You might want to check with a trademark attorney to see if there is a national registry you could access or download.

I hope some of this helped.
09-21-2008 at 11:07 PM
ErikH2000
Much thanks for all your input.
kmt wrote:
So, while my inclination is that adding the date of incorporation might be overkill, you never know.
I'm thinking the system can allow someone to start with a loose identifier, i.e. "Acme Anvil Company/USA" and wait for a relevant ambiguity to come up before specifying further information is needed. The ambiguities don't necessarily need to be discovered in advance. There might be an Acme Anvil company in New Jersey that is a highly-visible retailer and much more worthy of being rated by consumers than an Acme Anvil company in Iowa that quietly supplies a dozen companies in its own state. Until a demand for rating information on the second company exists, it probably isn't necessary to disambiguate.

Taking into account how the system would be used, there will be times when somebody complains of ambiguity in published ratings, and the publisher can extend the identifier after doing some extra research. Or using the research of whoever happens to niggle him about the ambiguity.

In the US, searching for corporate names (as opposed to partnership and LLC names) won’t need to go lower than the state level. My one concern would be slight differences in the names. For example, Amalgamated Dirt Co., Amalgamated Dirt Corp., Amalgamated Dirt, Ltd., Amalgamated Dirt, Inc., and Amalgamated Dirt Co., Inc. are five separate companies.
Right. And this is something I'm more afraid of. In the context of IPORR, what people really mean when they say one "Amalgamated Dirt" or another is "that company that sells a certain product or service" or "that company that was responsible for a certain action". Unfortunately, I don't think there is a straightforward, consistent way to link things like this with a legal business name. Some guessing with corrections will have to be used at first.
Some situations will be ambiguous where you have to distinguish between the trademark and the business. Consider that my brother in New Jersey decides to buy a can of Pepsi. Pepsi Cola is a registered trademark of Pepsico, registered with the Patent and Trademark Office and is protected nationwide. However, the can of Pepsi he is drinking was produced by the Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company, Inc., located in Piscataway, New Jersey. That company produced the can of soda under a license from Pepsico, a Delaware corporation, whose headquarters are in the northern suburbs of New York City. How would you characterize this?
This depends on what the rating publisher is griping about. Is he mad at the local bottler for dumping rat poison in the Pepsi? Or is he mad at Pepsi for starting another Cola War? The rating publisher is free to specify either or both business entities as the target of his rating.
How will you handle generic or store brands? Consider Kenmore appliances which are Sears’ store brand. The appliances are manufactured for Sears by someone else. Depending on market conditions that someone else can change over time.
This is tricky. I'm hoping to get a database together that maps the manufacturer portion of the UPC/EAN code to a manufacturer's business entity. And then there are two routes: 1. the rating publisher can target the manufacturer and/or vendor with whom the manufacturer has a relationship. 2. The database is more sophisticated and can track relationships between different business entities. So if you rate Sears harshly, it could imply a bad rating for manufacturers of products sold at Sears.

The second approach is a problem I would like to avoid tackling right away, since the other stuff is plenty of work on its own.

-Erik

09-26-2008 at 11:28 PM
kmt
It looks like you have given good consideration to strategies that will address the scenarios I raised. It was my pleasure to give you food for thought. If I can help some more, please feel free to ask.
09-28-2008 at 05:19 AM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
So, this seems to have been implemented in a different form:
http://www.buycott.com/

Sorry for the necro, but I found this very interesting.

08-12-2014 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Jacob wrote:
So, this seems to have been implemented in a different form:
http://www.buycott.com/

Sorry for the necro, but I found this very interesting.
I have Buycott installed on my phone and recommend it.

I think the idea that people will walk up to products and scan them is a little clunky. It sounds good because it is the logical conclusion of tracking products, but I think people are more likely to track things at a campaign level. Buycott does both, and I like it. I hope it becomes more popular.

-Erik

08-12-2014 at 08:53 PM
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Full commercial name and address it was registered as?
02-20-2015 at 12:04 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : How to uniquely identify an organization anywhere in the world? (A problem I'm working on for IPORR / Ethical Spender.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com