Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : an interesting story for you
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon Re: an interesting story for you (0)  
I feel like all this could be that nobody who enjoys the game (or Greek food, to use the metaphor) is speaking up just yet.

Mike, I for one, am thoroughly enjoying DROD:RPG. Like really a lot. It is good fun.
09-15-2008 at 08:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 606
I'll speak up.
In Bajooie's defence, I honestly thought (and still believe) that he was honestly and sincerely discussing pizza without any intentional reference to DROD. And no offense to Sillyman, but I think his comment is the cause of all this misunderstanding. If I'm wrong, then I'm most definitely a horrible judge of character. (Also, I'd never have believed that I'd actually be going to bat for Banjooie...) :)
Also, if indeed his story and topic really was/is a veiled attempt at an analogy to DROD RPG, then it's amazing to me that anyone who isn't a psychic could ever have picked up on it.

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-15-2008 08:42 AM]
09-15-2008 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Ravon wrote:
Mike, I for one, am thoroughly enjoying DROD:RPG. Like really a lot. It is good fun.
Same here - I just thought it was a bit short, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with usermade and/or SMSed level sets...

09-15-2008 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
If it is, what it is doing in the anything board? And does that make me allergic to DROD?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 09-15-2008 08:41 AM]
09-15-2008 at 08:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
NiroZ wrote:
If it is, what it is doing in the anything board? And does that make me allergic to DROD?

Yes, I believe there is a cross-reaction between dairy and DROD. :rolleyes
09-15-2008 at 08:45 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I think it ends up completely irrelevant what my actual intentions were at this point, really.

I'm still kinda mindblown here.
09-15-2008 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
icon Re: an interesting story for you (+1)  
Banjooie wrote:
I think it ends up completely irrelevant what my actual intentions were at this point, really.

Today's threadjack... exceptional success.

09-15-2008 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Banjooie wrote:

They honestly matter to me...I think it's extremely relevant what your original intentions were.
(I'll be quiet now, but your silence won't help your cause.) :shutup

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-15-2008 09:20 AM]
09-15-2008 at 09:07 AM
NiroZ
Banjooie wrote:

Ooooh, gotta love that ambiguity. How exactly is it irrelevant from the current discussion?
09-15-2008 at 09:10 AM
Banjooie
It's irrelevant because you've already decided what my intentions were.

Regardless of what I say from here, I'm going to be responsible for what just happened.

I almost wish I'd planned it.
09-15-2008 at 09:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Banjooie wrote:

Regardless of what I say from here, I'm going to be responsible for what just happened.

:huh
09-15-2008 at 09:42 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Pizza is awesome because you can put anything you want on top of it and it is tasty.

The same is almost true of sandwiches, but not quite.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-15-2008 10:26 AM]
09-15-2008 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rabscuttle wrote:
Pizza is awesome because you can put anything you want on top of it and it is tasty.

Also - forum threads.

09-15-2008 at 10:35 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Briareos wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:

Also - forum threads.

I dunno, I think forum threads might be the one thing you CAN'T put on top of pizza.

09-15-2008 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Banjooie wrote:

Because of what, the lynch mob? We'd have to lynch syntax first. Besides, I'm curious to know where the 'original owner made another shop making pizza's and left the original' fits in.
09-15-2008 at 11:08 AM
Lamkin
Damn, am I naive sometimes...
:selftwak
It would appear that I am indeed a horrible judge of character.
Also, did I mention that I like Greek food best of all?

(Oops! I forgot. Silence.) :shutup

[Last edited by Lamkin at 09-15-2008 11:24 AM]
09-15-2008 at 11:17 AM
Briareos
Beef Row wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:

Also - forum threads.
I dunno, I think forum threads might be the one thing you CAN'T put on top of pizza.
Actually, I meant you can put anything you want on top of forum threads and they're still tasty.

09-15-2008 at 12:03 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I too like DROD RPG very much and I appreciate what you've done and are doing Mike. I really like to see Caravel grow and evaluate, so the games can be even more awesome! The community-developer relation is just great also, everyone listens to each other (with a few exceptions of course) and things people say actually get considered and maybe implemented.
09-15-2008 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: an interesting story for you (+3)  
Ok, so I don't know what Banjooie meant. And I actually agree with him - it doesn't matter what he meant, what matters is how people choose to read it. And since quite a lot of us here are reading it as an allegory for Caravel, DROD, and DROD:RPG (and prehaps Frogs & Mice?), let me say what I percieve to be the case -

The work on DROD:RPG did not come at the expense of DROD. On the contrary. After TCB was released, basically the entire dev team was burned out. Erik was, and he left. Mike was, as he says above - justifiably, since he always did more work than all the rest of the dev team combined (including Erik). Everyone else - Schik, the level designers and alpha testers (including myself) were all either worn out, or had new jobs in the RL, or both. Part of the reason there was no SmS for a while was because, frankly, everyone was too tired.

DROD:RPG put energy back into the team. We're all a bit exhausted now, post-release, but - speaking for myself here - it made me excited again about the DROD story and world and now I really am looking forward to starting work on Second Sky. I'm glad people like it, but more than that, it reminded me what I like about the world. I'll probably need to do more for Second Sky than I did for TCB, not less, since with Erik gone Mike really needs people to share the load. But I'm looking forward to it.

I'm pretty sure that if DROD:RPG hadn't happened, there would never be a DROD:Second Sky. Now I'm pretty optimisitic about it. It won't come out anytime soon, but that hopefully means that Caravel can address some of the problems that arose during late TCB/RPG development, such as the lack of artists.

09-15-2008 at 04:03 PM
Lamkin
icon Re: an interesting story for you (+2)  
I completely disagree that it's irrelevant.
If Banjooie had not meant to make the analogy, then his silence is inexplicable. If I were in his shoes, I'd be adamant about my original innocuous intention. His two posts where he got upset don't seem genuine to me.
Yes, it matters what people read into the thing, but he should, at the very least, have the integrity to clarify his message. How sad if he honestly hadn't meant it as an analogy and is now simply sitting back getting his kicks from the outcome.

Oops! Did I type that? :rolleyes
09-15-2008 at 04:44 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Lamkin wrote:
I completely disagree that it's irrelevant.
If Banjooie had not meant to make the analogy, then his silence is inexplicable. If I were in his shoes, I'd be adamant about my original innocuous intention. His two posts where he got upset don't seem genuine to me.
Yes, it matters what people read into the thing, but he should, at the very least, have the integrity to clarify his message. How sad if he honestly hadn't meant it as an analogy and is now simply sitting back getting his kicks from the outcome.

Oops! Did I type that? :rolleyes
You haven't been here long enough. This is what Banjooie is.

09-15-2008 at 04:54 PM
Lamkin
RoboBob3000 wrote:
You haven't been here long enough. This is what Banjooie is.

I suppose you are correct. Some people are enigmatic. :hmmm:
09-15-2008 at 05:02 PM
NiroZ
icon Re: an interesting story for you (+2)  
I think there a two giveaway factors here. First, why the hell does Banjooie want to tell us about his favourite pizza place turning Greek. He's never done anything like this previously, unless there's a very interesting story to tell.

Second, he didn't laugh. Whenever Banjooie has become a figure of ambiguous nature, he laughs. He didn't laugh this time.

And I really think Banjooie needs to explain exactly what he meant. Sure, he told an ambiguous fable, which is an excellent trolling technique because whatever people accuse him of, its only a story and there is no concrete evidence. Your not jesus mate, if you want to discuss an issue, do it like everyone else does.
09-15-2008 at 05:04 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ok, seriously, for those of us who have known Banjooie for a while - since when does the fact that people think he needs to do clarify something have any direct impact on whether he will do it or not?

09-15-2008 at 05:18 PM
NiroZ
eytanz wrote:
Ok, seriously, for those of us who have known Banjooie for a while - since when does the fact that people think he needs to do clarify something have any direct impact on whether he will do it or not?
Nope. But it will make people more cautious about making a prediction. I hope anyway.
09-15-2008 at 05:23 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't appreciate the amount of hard work Mike's put into all the Caravel games, regardless of whether they're as enthusiastic about RPG as the other DROD games.

I think RPG's a really cool game. While I don't enjoy it as much as more puzzly DROD-style stuff, it's still good fun. It also has great potential for opening up the DROD world/franchise to a wider range of people with different tastes.

Also, I like both Greek food and pizza. As long as they're vegetarian.

[Last edited by Jacob at 09-15-2008 06:17 PM]
09-15-2008 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't appreciate the amount of hard work Mike's put into all the Caravel games, regardless of whether they're as enthusiastic about RPG as the other DROD games.
I'll second that.
09-15-2008 at 06:20 PM
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3408
Very true. While I'm still ambivalent about the RPG personally (I was never that into the optimization aspect of DROD, and that's what the long-term depth of the RPG seems likely to focus on, since the gameplay seems to boil down to a very complicated maze), it's hard to complain about having the chance to try something that might hook me as hard as DROD has, even if it didn't this time. And I don't think the brand's being diluted that far; the RPG's already generating and pre-testing ideas to convert back to DROD, and the architects flooding into the RPG holds board are, well, not necessarily known for their high-quality holds anyway. I'll finish the RPG, and then probably happily go back to plain old DROD, but the RPG was still worth the money, and maybe I'll play a few of the top-rated user holds. And if door-walking and expanded scripting find their way back to DROD, so much the better.

Besides, I'm not (quite) so arrogant as to demand that a bunch of other people only spend their time on what I personally want to play. My preferences are worth precisely $19.95, which doesn't seem enough for that kind of control. :)

Also, I'm a big fan of the local Massimo's buffalo chicken pizza.

09-15-2008 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Oh, I'm laughing hard, Niro, believe me.

It's just, er. I can say /without a doubt/ that this was not my intended result for this thread.
09-15-2008 at 08:28 PM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Yeah... classic DROD kinda got old to me a good time ago. DROD RPG is what's goodly to me.

Also, I miss my pet roach. :(

09-15-2008 at 08:55 PM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : an interesting story for you
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com