Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Couldn't load the saved game.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
IP: Logged
icon Couldn't load the saved game. (+2)  
So, after installing, click both 'Play Tutorial' and 'Play New Game' gives me:

DROD couldn't load the saved game. There is probably a bug in DROD that needs to be fixed. It could be that the game was saved with a previous version of DROD, and this version is unable to load it.

What did I do wrong?

(PS - am using the demo.)

[Last edited by TripleM at 09-13-2008 03:47 AM]
09-13-2008 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Couldn't load the saved game. (0)  
I am seeing the same. After downloading the full version of the game (never played the demo), I (in order) created a new player, chose laptop default keys, went to settings and configured the keys further, switched to windowed mode, requested/entered a new key.

I then tried Tutorial. No go. Then Start New Game. Fail again.

Hopefully this is of some help.

Running XP SP3.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 09-13-2008 03:46 AM]
09-13-2008 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Couldn't load the saved game. (+1)  
We're looking into it. For now, a workaround to start the hold should be to click "Choose Level Set" from the main play menu, then manually select "Tendry's Tale". Hit OK, then New Game from the main menu. The main hold should start.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-13-2008 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Thanks for the workaround!

09-13-2008 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
FYI: After applying the workaround, trying to view the tutorial again will reproduce the bug. The workaround will still work, though.

09-13-2008 at 08:42 AM
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
icon Re: Couldn't load the saved game. (+3)  
I tried the following just now:

Install the game. Choose Desktop keys. Try Tutorial. It worked.

Install second time in another location. Choose Laptop keys. Try Tutorial. Didn't work.

Unistall both.

Reinstall yet again. Choose Laptop keys. Try Tutorial. Didn't work. Uninstall.

Reinstall once more. Choose Desktop keys. Try Tutorial. Worked again. (I am keeping this install.)

(By Tutorial working I mean that I could start it and see Tendry walking and text appearing on screen.)

This was on my desktop machine. Earlier I had the problem on my laptop and I used the Laptop keys there. Now I am going to go to my laptop, and try to reinstall with Desktop keys.

I will post another message if that works. It should not take longer than fifteen minutes from now.

EDIT: Confirmed that reinstalling and setting Desktop keys makes the Tutorial start on my laptop too.

As a clarification: when uninstalling, I deleted the Data directory and the file drodrpg.ini in it manually.

EDIT2: More clarifications: This is on WinXP Home and SP3 on both machines. This is the demo installer, not the full version.

[Last edited by Pekka at 09-13-2008 10:09 AM]
09-13-2008 at 10:02 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Well done. You don't even need to reinstall, you can change to default desktop/laptop in the settings.

I was getting this too on my laptop and it's clear that this was the reason.
09-13-2008 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
It works for me now, but just for other people's convenience, I assume it works like this. You find the file drodrpg.ini in the Data folder where you installed DROD RPG. In in there should be a line like this under the section called [Localization]:

Keyboard=0

And you can apparently change it in the settings in the game itself. I'm blind :)

[Last edited by Pekka at 09-13-2008 10:19 AM]
09-13-2008 at 10:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Pekka wrote:
EDIT2: More clarifications: This is on WinXP Home and SP3 on both machines. This is the demo installer, not the full version.
Confirmed it also happens in the Full Version. For further reference: Both the Official and the Tutorial holds work with the Default Desktop keyset, and they don't work with the Default Laptop keyset.
09-13-2008 at 11:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
slimm tom wrote:
Pekka wrote:
Both the Official and the Tutorial holds work with the Default Desktop keyset, and they don't work with the Default Laptop keyset.
Incorrect, the official hold works fine if you don't select tutorial and even if do, the workaround mentioned earlier fixes it until you click tutorial again.
09-13-2008 at 11:40 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Doom wrote:
slimm tom wrote:
Pekka wrote:
Both the Official and the Tutorial holds work with the Default Desktop keyset, and they don't work with the Default Laptop keyset.
Incorrect, the official hold works fine if you don't select tutorial and even if do, the workaround mentioned earlier fixes it until you click tutorial again.

Hmm, I think I clicked on the 'Tutorial' button before clicking on the 'New Game' buuton.
09-13-2008 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful troubleshooting assistance. I've fixed this issue for build 47.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-13-2008 at 05:12 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : Couldn't load the saved game.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com