Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : The "Bodyguard" in Subterra II ((Or whatever it's called...))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Celtic Minstrel
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon The "Bodyguard" in Subterra II (0)  
In the secret tile palette (Ctrl-F5), there are five rows devoted to one game element. This is quite a complex feature, and I'm surprised it isn't documented. I first saw it in the level called Psychiatrist's Office. The tiles are (according to the tooltips) called pos1-8, goto1-8, chase!, appear, way out, and (I think) start point.

Hopefully you know what I'm talking about now... is there an official or commonly accepted name for it? I've also called it a Warrior, since it looks a lot like one apart from the colouring.

I've been doing some experimentation with it, and discovered several potentially interesting facts about it. I have no idea whether this has been brought up before, and hence no idea whether any of this is new, but it was certainly new to me.

First of all, it can walk through dirt and dirt with gems, just like a player can. This of course removes the dirt, and the gems are lost. It can also break through fragile walls just like a rock, except it it doesn't have to fall on it.

If it walks through a tool or a time freeze, it removes it. I don't think it's possible to get it back like with the cryobird in Subterra 1. I don't remember if it grabs keys or not.

It utterly ignores save disks, shops, munchkins, doors, gates, traps, magic fields, portal entrances, water, ice, pretzels, hints, ports, marble, and clouds. I'm not too surprised that it ignores pretzels or hints – so does pretty much everything else – but it's surprising that it can cross marble.

It can also walk across exits, changing them to rounded walls in the process. Like almost everything else, it triggers buttons that it walks over.

When something falls on it, it does not explode – it simply disappears. This does depend on just what falls on it, though – I tested it with a rock and a diamond, I believe, and the diamond did not make it disappear. (Which makes me think it may have been an amethyst... but I'm not sure.

It does not explode when in contact with slime, either, yet it explodes on contact with a player. However, it is completely invulnerable to explosions, so if it blows up a player it will still escape unharmed. It is also immune to lasers, but it doesn't block a laser beam.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
09-11-2008 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: The "Bodyguard" in Subterra II (0)  
Is there anything else I'm forgetting?
Yes -- It's name. It's called the Mountain King. Fear him! -_-

09-11-2008 at 09:26 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Very good!

His name is the Mountain King, and he was intended as the main antagonist of the game. Only level design for him proved trickier than I thought.

09-11-2008 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Celtic Minstrel
Rank Points: 12
I didn't know the name... that's why I didn't mention it. Does he actually appear in any of the levels? I haven't seen him yet.

He may have been intended as an antagonist, but he can also be used as a helper, since he can go places that you cannot, and since he follows directions based on the triggers you step on.
09-11-2008 at 10:04 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
True enough. Feel free to design a level that does that :)

09-11-2008 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : The "Bodyguard" in Subterra II ((Or whatever it's called...))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com