Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Well lookee what I found... (Awesomeness within!)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fafnir
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 315
IP: Logged
icon Well lookee what I found... (+8)  
So I was bored about five minutes ago, and I decided to google DROD RPG to see if I could find anything new. Unsurprisingly, I couldn't. Then I decided to try Tendry's Tale and, well...

I believe the time has arrived for jumping around in fanboyish glee. Roll on September 12!

09-11-2008 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: Well lookee what I found... (0)  
Gasp! Well, if this isn't fanboy-jump-inducing, I don't know what is. You, sir, deserve a mod point.

09-11-2008 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
Pfff... That's the remake.
09-11-2008 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Rank Points: 479
Fafnir wrote:
So I was bored about five minutes ago, and I decided to google DROD RPG to see if I could find anything new. Unsurprisingly, I couldn't. Then I decided to try Tendry's Tale and, well...

I believe the time has arrived for jumping around in fanboyish glee. Roll on September 12!

You deserve 5 mod points, I love you!

09-11-2008 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
What is the goblin saying?
09-11-2008 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
icon Re: Well lookee what I found... (+2)  
Hey, was that a red door with new graphics (ie completely solid) behind Halph?
Also, Halph hit an orb and closed a red, blue and black door! Madness!

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-11-2008 02:00 AM]
09-11-2008 at 02:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Awesommmmmme. Friday is my birthday too. Good timing for me!

-Erik

09-11-2008 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I am actually less excited now. It seems the more graphics I see of this game, the less I think I'll be able to enjoy it.

09-11-2008 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
ErikH2000 wrote:
Awesommmmmme. Friday is my birthday too. Good timing for me!

-Erik
This may not be a coincidence... ;)

09-11-2008 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Shhhh!
I must admit it is intriguing, although its not as compelling as the TCB trailer with the slayer calling after you.
09-11-2008 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Jatopian wrote:
I am actually less excited now. It seems the more graphics I see of this game, the less I think I'll be able to enjoy it.
Well, the graphics used do remind me somewhat of DROD. Might just be the colours or something ;)
09-11-2008 at 03:01 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Whoa! Congrats on finding the teaser trailer. I was going to post an announcement tonight when I got home from work, but you beat me to it. I made it simpler than the TCB trailer, and I might do another one in the future just for fun.

Jatopian -- in spite of you rising in the griefer ranks, we love you anyway, and I must concur that graphics have always been DROD's #1 weak point. And with a trailer, what you get is to see the graphics without actually getting to play the game, so the worst of both worlds, in our case. Our playtesters have said they're impressed by the game play, though, and I think the demo will stand on its own to put this spinoff in a good light. Since this is a new series with fresh gameplay, you might feel again like how you felt when you first played AE (for those of you who picked up DROD at or before that time). And hopefully that's a good thing. I think it will be :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-11-2008 04:06 AM]
09-11-2008 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rabscuttle wrote:
What is the goblin saying?
Yous look all softlike. All alone too, yezzz?

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-11-2008 04:54 AM]
09-11-2008 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Well lookee what I found... (+1)  
As to liking/disliking it based on the trailer:

It's a different game than DROD, and I'm sure it won't appeal to exactly the same set of people - there will be DROD fans who don't like the RPG and vice-versa. But like all Caravel products, there will be a generously-sized demo (that can play user-made holds), so you don't need to rely on the trailer to make decisions. Try the game for yourself and decide.

09-11-2008 at 04:18 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I keep rewatching it. Love that starting line...

"Bogged in the mires of despair! Mired in the bogs of injustice!"

-Erik

09-11-2008 at 04:24 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
mrimer wrote:
Jatopian -- in spite of you rising in the griefer ranks, we love you anyway
I am this random person on the Internet who criticizes your magnum opus, and you love me? That's pretty... admirable... I think. If it's true. But the cynic in me thinks you're being flippant.

Also I admit to being overly sarcastic lately, but some of it is simple misunderstanding by Internet Tough Guys...
I must concur that graphics have always been DROD's #1 weak point. And with a trailer, what you get is to see the graphics without actually getting to play the game, so the worst of both worlds, in our case. Our playtesters have said they're impressed by the game play, though, and I think the demo will stand on its own to put this spinoff in a good light. Since this is a new series with fresh gameplay, you might feel again like how you felt when you first played AE (for those of you who picked up DROD at or before that time). And hopefully that's a good thing. I think it will be :)
I've never really minded the graphics in DROD. I can like simple graphics... what's important is that the graphics are consistent. And a lot of the stuff seems to clash. The lighting aliasing clashes with the grass, the huge fuzzy keys clash with the detailed floor textures... and I wouldn't care so much about things that make it all seem like an abstract puzzle game if it actually were an abstract puzzle game (though all the tokens in DROD3 still bothered me a bit). But with an RPG, as much as I hate to say this, core gameplay isn't the only factor. Part of a Role Playing Game is role playing, or at the very least, immersing oneself in a world of fantasy and adventure. One cannot do this if one is constantly noting little inconsistencies, be they in the graphics, the mechanics, or the story... but the graphics especially, if only by sheer virtue of their omnipresence.

09-11-2008 at 04:55 AM
eytanz
Jatopian wrote:
But with an RPG, as much as I hate to say this, core gameplay isn't the only factor. Part of a Role Playing Game is role playing, or at the very least, immersing oneself in a world of fantasy and adventure.

I've said this before (though I'm not sure Mike would entirely agree):

DROD RPG is not an RPG. It's not even a CRPG. It's a puzzle game with RPG elements.

[Last edited by eytanz at 09-11-2008 05:04 AM]
09-11-2008 at 04:59 AM
mrimer
Sure, I think I understand. And believe me, I am keenly aware of all these issues. I could work on improving them, but that would delay the release another few months.

09-11-2008 at 04:59 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
eytanz wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
But with an RPG, as much as I hate to say this, core gameplay isn't the only factor. Part of a Role Playing Game is role playing, or at the very least, immersing oneself in a world of fantasy and adventure.

I've said this before (and I'm not sure Mike would entirely agree):

DROD RPG is not an RPG. It's not even a CRPG. It's a puzzle game with RPG elements.
I agree with Eytan. Think of, say the Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Advance Wars games...they are all turn-based strategy games with RPG elements, but some people might consider them "RPGs" anyway.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-11-2008 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
mrimer wrote:
Jatopian -- in spite of you rising in the griefer ranks, we love you anyway

In this thread, Jatopian goes 'I'm not sure I like that there's been little or no graphical improvement over TCB in this game.'

Mrimer accuses him of trolling--no, wait. 'Griefing'.

I'm sorry.

What.

Edit: Also epic is that nobody can possibly begin to tell me that the graphical style in this game is consistent, nor that the utter lack of consistency is not starting to grate /hard/.

inb4 'flawlessly consistent'.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 09-11-2008 05:28 AM]
09-11-2008 at 05:26 AM
eytanz
Banjooie wrote:

Edit: Also epic is that nobody can possibly begin to tell me that the graphical style in this game is consistent, nor that the utter lack of consistency is not starting to grate /hard/.

Well, of course no-one can tell you that. If anyone did, they'd be lying.

Caravel doesn't have any graphics people working for it - it used to, but all of them left. Erik was the last to go. Yes, it's probably a good idea to get new ones, but as Mike said, doing so for DROD RPG that would have delayed the release by months.

Oh, and I don't think Mike meant "Griefing" in the multi-player sense; I think he just meant "someone who gives us grief".

09-11-2008 at 05:33 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Banjooie wrote:
inb4 'flawlessly consistent'.

inb4 "What's inb4?". Also inb4 "Inb4 should be capitalized.".

Now that that's out of the way, let me make your statement true: FLAWLESSLY CONSISTANT.

09-11-2008 at 05:53 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
eytanz wrote:
Caravel doesn't have any graphics people working for it - it used to, but all of them left. Erik was the last to go. Yes, it's probably a good idea to get new ones, but as Mike said, doing so for DROD RPG that would have delayed the release by months.

Oh, and I don't think Mike meant "Griefing" in the multi-player sense; I think he just meant "someone who gives us grief".

You don't have /an--

oh good god, I need free time.
09-11-2008 at 05:55 AM
Sillyman
Also, what's with the /b/, when you could have just hit the italics button and get b?
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Sillyman at 09-11-2008 05:58 AM]
09-11-2008 at 05:58 AM
Rabscuttle
If I might focus on the graphical improvements -

Are the dimpleless doors from DROD: TOTS going to make their way back into DROD: Daleks?

Also the opening chest mechanism.
09-11-2008 at 06:20 AM
Sillyman
Rabscuttle wrote:
DROD: Daleks?
It's called Robots, at least on my Debian... wait, where'd it go? Bah.

09-11-2008 at 06:38 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
eytanz wrote:
Couldn't Caravel make the tile graphics public domain so we could give them a good paintover in a collective effort, without having to start from scratch?

09-11-2008 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
icon Re: Well lookee what I found... (+1)  
What's the symbol on some of the yellow doors?

I see a wubba.

Hey, there are different graphics on different swords - compare the pet roach (Roachy?) screen with the Halph screen.

Why is there a release date? It is confusing.

09-11-2008 at 08:54 AM
Voidy
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
For a game trailer the video is surprisingly obscure. It means little even to the people who dig DROD but do not frequent Caravel Forums.
Hoorah, it's a new DROD game!
But it has some RPG elements! Cool!
Chests!
Keys?
Cutscenes!?
What is a pocket roach?
Why haven't these sword-fighting guys chopped each other into tiny gory bits yet?
Hit points???
Has DROD gone rogue(like)?
Whathehell is this game about?

I think these questions are guaranteed to leave any layman confused. Will there be another, more clarifying trailer?

09-11-2008 at 11:22 AM
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
Where have you been the last six month?

A new trailer? Awsome!

I see you got everything together yourself! Congrats!
I woulnd't be able to anyways. Pinnacle don't like videos that have anything other than standard size, and Zwei-stein won't run on vista.

09-11-2008 at 12:54 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Well lookee what I found... (Awesomeness within!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com