Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I Like TCB (Let's find out why!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AlternativePuzzles
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 30
IP: Logged
icon I Like TCB (+2)  
I like TCB. I assume that you guys like it too, otherwise you wouldn't be here. So, there are a few reasons as to why. Here are some now:

New elements are good - I had a fun time learning about hot tiles, adders, new player roles, the S.A.B.E.R.S. system, all that stuff

Named Levels - none of this Seventeenth Floor, Eighth Level, Twenty Ninth Catastrophe, those guys don't describe much other than the torturous level you're on, and will be advancing upon.

EPIC epic storyline - such power! I thought I knew what was going to happen, then it just surprised me. It is good! :thumbsup

AWESOME puzzles - King Dugan's was fun, but some of the puzzles looked like a bit of a quick slapstick because there were no great ideas (no offense Erik, I still like it). But now, the puzzles are intuitive and creative, at least most of them. I shall never get past the rudeness of River Dugan.

Amazing scripting abilities - Cut scenes, an awesome idea. You can convey much more without the player interrupting it. Also, the idea of different player roles was a good one.

Just Plain Fun - Lots of humor in the game! That's very good in a game.

And those are the reasons why I like TCB. You should share your reasons of why, assuming you like it, and if not, assuming you're still here.

Test out my hold currently in
architecture:
[url=http://forum.caravelgames.com/
viewtopic.php?TopicID=26578]Spike
Pit
08-22-2008 at 07:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: I Like TCB (+1)  
Welcome to the forum!

Well, I like TCB mainly by two reasons:

First, of course, story continue, cutscenes that help much creating a story and new, more enjoyable than in all previous official holds, puzzles.

And the other thing is an editor. With "set var" command, with player role selection commands, with custom character creating ability... editor became truly AWESOME!
08-22-2008 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
icon Re: I LOVE TCB (+1)  
Welcome to the forum, AlternativePuzzles! Glad you enjoy the game as we all do. :)

I don't think there is anything not to like about TCB; the new elements and monsters are suberb. Personally, what does it for me is the intriguing storyline. I haven't actually got to Lowest Point yet, but I still can't wait to discover the secret...
08-22-2008 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
enzi666
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
icon Re: I Like TCB (+2)  
This question is simple. :)

I like it because:
- it's a great challenge and you have to think rather than making fast moves
- great story that unfolds over the games. KDD was very ironic with the dungeon layout. I never expected the story would go so deep when i installed JtRH
- neverending puzzles. there is always another way that the designer exploits things. Finding this out is so much fun.
- many more :)

I'm playing DROD now for over 4 years and I never got tired of it. No other game has achieved this.
Big thanks to all the guys who made this game possible. I'm waiting for more. ;)

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered
08-26-2008 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: I Like TCB (0)  
I like the storyline. I wish there were more of it. I hope they start putting more in SSs. :(

Also I am curious as to how KDD was ironic.

08-26-2008 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
You see, Jatopian, it is like rain. On your wedding day.
08-26-2008 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Banjooie wrote:
Or a bad surprise when you got scared earlier by something surprising... and bad.
08-26-2008 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
enzi666
Jatopian wroteAlso I am curious as to how KDD was ironic.

I found the whole layout from a position Beethro to the player pretty ironic. There was no "real" background story as there were in JtRH. And in the beginning of RH Beethro says something like, there was only supposed to be 9 levels, then 15 and then there were 25. It's hard to describe but I always get the feeling as Beethro says some lines with a little twinkle, when something refers to the original KDD.
As I said, hard to describe and english isn't my native language so it gets even more harder.

08-26-2008 at 08:34 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Perhaps enzi666 sees KDD as being self-referential...or breaking the fourth wall. In other words, a video game that knows it's a video game, and not actually trying to tell a story.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 08-26-2008 01:29 PM]
08-26-2008 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Banjooie wrote:
Only if you're marrying a meteorologist, and he picked the date.

[/stealing jokes from Ed Byrne]

08-26-2008 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
In Drodish terms, shouldn't that be "brains on your wedding day"?
08-26-2008 at 11:25 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
You guys do know about the terrible song Banjooie referenced there, right? Just checking.
enzi666 wrote:
There was no "real" background story as there were in JtRH.
Sure. As far Beethro knew, it was just another job, albeit a large one.
And in the beginning of RH Beethro says something like, there was only supposed to be 9 levels, then 15 and then there were 25.
Have you seen the ending? It explains this remark in an entirely fourth-wall-preserving way.

But whatever; I'm glad you found something in KDD's story to enjoy.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-26-2008 11:47 PM]
08-26-2008 at 11:45 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Let it be, Jatopian. Yours is the good advice they just won't take.
08-27-2008 at 09:52 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
enzi666, I'd be curious to know if you've read the game's help at any stage? I know I've got a very strong feeling of 'not supposed to be serious' in KDD, but I thought that was mostly because the help pages conveyed that feeling.
08-27-2008 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
Banjooie wrote:
Let it be, Jatopian. Yours is the good advice they just won't take.

Who would have thought? But it figures.
08-27-2008 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
enzi666
Alneyan wrote:
enzi666, I'd be curious to know if you've read the game's help at any stage? I know I've got a very strong feeling of 'not supposed to be serious' in KDD, but I thought that was mostly because the help pages conveyed that feeling.

Yeah, a good point that I forgot. See, when the original Drod was made I don't think that Eric or whoever wrote the story had such a deep story already in mind. So, RH and TCB were somehow written around KDD. At least this is the way it appeals to me. In no way I do think that this is a bad thing. I love every single line in KDD to TCB. But KDD isn't the part where the story is meant to be very serious.

08-27-2008 at 09:34 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
enzi666 wrote:
Yeah, a good point that I forgot. See, when the original Drod was made I don't think that Eric or whoever wrote the story had such a deep story already in mind. So, RH and TCB were somehow written around KDD. At least this is the way it appeals to me. In no way I do think that this is a bad thing. I love every single line in KDD to TCB. But KDD isn't the part where the story is meant to be very serious.
You got it right. It's sad to say it, but the little plot points (game ending, level texts) we put back into KDD when DROD: AE was released were retroactive continuity.

I also lost my taste for ironic use of story cliches and anachronisms while I was playing one of the Monkey Island games. It occurred to me that you had to do it really cleverly or it just came off as cheap way of disguising a lack of originality. So I started making an honest effort on story in JtRH. I'm not saying it was the greatest, but I tried.

-Erik

08-28-2008 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
You know, in many ways I prefer, if not the story, the storytelling in the original King Dugan's Dungeon, as it is done almost completely in atmosphere and tone. It's certainly more evocotive of what I would expect the dungeon extermination career to be like, but more than that, the very occasional notes left throughout from various mysterious people create the feeling of an overwhelming controlling organization in a more subtle way than in the sequels. The reoccuring architecture in level 6 is an excellently devilish atmospheric choice, as is the antagonist who runs away from you, explaining nothing. Beethro is a solver of puzzles, and jumps into them without requiring answers, all the time wondering why he's doing the things he's doing, and this aspect came through with greater finess before the Neather had the ability to speak.

Of course, the Empire isn't really about subtlety, so I guess it's all moot. I wouldn't change anything. Good job, everybody!

[Last edited by Abbyzzmal at 08-28-2008 06:47 AM]
08-28-2008 at 06:38 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
re irony and seriousness etc: the game is called "Deadly Rooms of Death"

Also, I like TCB too.

08-28-2008 at 07:17 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I Like TCB (Let's find out why!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com