Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : A very minor announcement
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
IP: Logged
icon A very minor announcement (+2)  
I have finally completed one level of eleven rooms in my first attempt at architecture. So, if I am going put three levels in my first puzzle hold (i.e. no story here), as I plan, it'll be done in a couple more years!

To be serious, my efforts have picked up a little speed lately. I'll eventually put it up on the holds board, and it may even happen this year. I've actually learned that it's OK if everything isn't perfect the first time around, and managed to polish some pretty boring rooms to an almost passable level. If I may be so bold, I even think there's approximately one half of a clever trick in one of my rooms...

I just felt like mentioning this little personal milestone. Nothing more. :thumbsup
08-12-2008 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: A very minor announcement (0)  
Pekka wrote:
I just felt like mentioning this little personal milestone. Nothing more. :thumbsup
Nothing wrong with being proud of your work. And yeah, it's rare that anyone's first hold is that good (there are a couple of exceptions). The best architects are those who learn from their mistakes.

We look forward to seeing the finished product :)

08-12-2008 at 06:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
I too have made a jump in my first Hold. I've completed the first two levels! I know it's hardly a leap forward (especially as there are twenty levels to the whole Hold), but just thought I'd mention it anyway :D.

Wish me luck everyone, I'm gonna need it!
08-12-2008 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I hate to be a downer... but hugely ambitious projects like that rarely tend to get finished, or when they do, they often get finished at a low quality with filler rooms.

Have you considered a shorter hold? Say 5-6 levels?

08-12-2008 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Well... for what I want, no. Fifteen, maybe. I'm making a story to go with it, which I think is pretty nifty. I think I can pull it off. :)

I don't usually think much of my own work, and the two levels I've already built are good in my opinion. But... we'll see. I've got another four weeks or so of the summer holidays, so that's plenty of time for DROD. ;)

I'm the sort of person who will restart a whole hold of such size if I think one level makes it go wrong. I will not settle for poor quality!

EDIT - I know what you're going to say: "Stories are a bad idea..."

[Last edited by Kwerulous at 08-12-2008 09:43 PM]
08-12-2008 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: A very minor announcement (+1)  
It sounds like you're spending a lot of time making each room the best you can... a good attitude to have towards architecture.

I'll echo everyone else's sentiment and mention that I'd like to see your work posted on Architecture once you feel ready :)

08-12-2008 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Thank you for your kind words, Chaco. Really motivating me! Like I said, quite a big Hold, and I won't post it anywhere until I've fully completed it, which will be a long while.

I'll also say thanks to calamarain for his Construction Methods and Room Idea Generator, which I think will really help me a lot, and I recommend to any new architect having a read of the article.
08-12-2008 at 10:13 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
(Actually, I was referring to Pekka. But I'll agree that you seem to be interested in the quality of your hold also.)

08-12-2008 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Sorry Pekka! I forgot that this was supposed to be about you! :blush

I too look forward to seeing your Hold in Architecture, I'm sure it will be brilliant, and as Chaco says you do seem to be putting the time and effort to ensure the quality of your rooms (as do I :P)
08-12-2008 at 10:42 PM
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Dont take me as you "Hero" :P

Im too hasty & dump :(

And if you want create hold like you said :
Click here to view the secret text

08-13-2008 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
Kwerulous wrote:
Sorry Pekka! I forgot that this was supposed to be about you! :blush

Not at all. I just wanted to post a quick note, so that my hold is not just a bunch of files I secretly keep on my hard disk, but an actual project I'm working on :)
08-13-2008 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
calamarain wrote:
Pekka wrote:
Nothing wrong with being proud of your work. And yeah, it's rare that anyone's first hold is that good (there are a couple of exceptions).
>Yup, ErikH2000's first hold is great ;)
The best architects are those who learn from their mistakes.

We look forward to seeing the finished product :)
08-14-2008 at 03:50 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: A very minor announcement (+1)  
Ummm... 13th Slayer, would it kill you to quote according to this forum's rules, i.e. with [quote] and [/quote] tags surrounding *only* the existing text you're quoting?

Writing your reply inside the quote tags you get from the "Quote Reply" feature, even if prefixed with a ">", does nothing to make it stand out, and this in turn just makes finding and reading your replies really bothersome...

[Last edited by Briareos at 08-14-2008 08:51 AM]
08-14-2008 at 08:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: A very minor announcement (+2)  
Briareos wrote:
...this in turn just makes...reading your replies really even more bothersome...

>Fixed
08-16-2008 at 11:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : A very minor announcement
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com