Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : An Citizen Quest (Citizen puzzles!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.7/10 (24 votes)
σ 1.84
Author Name:The Architest
Submitted By:The Architest
Hold Name:An Citizen Quest
Theme:Citizen puzzles!
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:14
Number of Monsters:102
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: An Citizen Quest.hold (6.8 KB)
Downloaded 1007 times.
License: Other
icon An Citizen Quest  
Just a small hold made back in... well, long time ago!

And hold originally authored by Slava!
And thanks to Mxvlaldi for extra copy!

08-06-2008 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: An Citizen Quest (+1)  
Short, fairly easy hold where you play as unsworded Beethro. Some rooms with snakes might prove challenging for beginners.
08-06-2008 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
You know, here's the thing. I liked the rooms. The puzzles were genuinely interesting.

But when you have a major grammatical error in the title of the hold--even Bad Evil Restaurant didn't manage that--you really, really need to accept the fact that you've got to ask someone for proofreading help. The writing here was atrociously bad English; the story...I honestly don't know, because if there was an explanation of it, it was in the parts of the writing that I skipped because the stuff I read was too incoherent to get a story out of.
08-06-2008 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: An Citizen Quest (0)  
Hikari proofread this and gave suggestions...which were subsequently ignored.

08-06-2008 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594

File: firstfirst.jpg (22.9 KB)
Downloaded 83 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: An Citizen Quest (+2)  
There were some good original puzzles in here. And as my first "perfect" hold (until someone out there get some/all of my #1's) I shall always have a soft spot for it.

@ Architest : you've got talent and are shaping up to be a creator of interesting puzzles. Wait for it... here it comes... BUT. When you are given input from people who test your hold, it is in your interest to use that advice to improve your hold. It costs you nothing but a bit of time and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you put out the best that you can offer. The Architecture and Beta boards are there for a reason: to help an architect improve/perfect a hold before it is "published." Testing should not be treated as just a bureaucratic step. People aren't doing themselves a favour when they take the time to test your hold; they are doing you a favour. Hikari put in a fair amount of work to make recommendations that would have improved your hold and, if you continue to ignore testers' comments, you will eventually find that no one will be interested in testing your holds. Why should they waste their time if you won't listen?

Please continue to build -- you make good puzzles -- but take the time to read testers' comments and implement those suggestions that will make your holds even better.

[Last edited by noma at 08-07-2008 10:33 AM]
08-07-2008 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 254
Thanks you for good comments! :thumbsup
I promise read next tips what someone gives to me :)

I know that this isnt much,but Hikari will get some points for hes/shes good tips ;)
08-07-2008 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
In general, some good rooms with some interesting puzzles. Although not that challenging, still the rooms were enjoyable. The only thing I didn't like was the random placement of ceiling lights (e.g. Torture Rooms: The Entrance). Otherwise, very good job, Architest. Keep up the good work! ;)

08-07-2008 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Had lots of fun playing this. Some original puzzles (the builder one for example).

Keep up the good work!
08-08-2008 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
I quite enjoyed this.

The grammar was terrible, but actually I think I understood the story.
Click here to view the secret text

OK, it's not much. But for such a short hold, it's not a bad storyline, with a sort-of twist at the end.

08-08-2008 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dischorran
Rank Points: 3406
I have to say, you're showing some improvement: this hold is better than the last two you whipped out. With more willingness to pay attention to testers, and to work on building a single hold for a long time rather than pumping out small, so-so holds as quickly as possible, you might become a decent architect. Keep working at it; the forum needs high-quality holds at the level of difficulty that you've been creating, you just need to spend much more time polishing.

08-09-2008 at 11:33 PM
The Architest
Thank you for good comments (serioulsy) ;)

Next hold will be better..or not!
08-10-2008 at 12:13 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
This is an easy hold which contains Architest's standart difficulty. While not being particulary tricky, it's quite enjoyable.

3 difficulty and 6 fun.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-25-2011 06:43 PM]
08-17-2008 at 07:42 AM
The Architest
Ill keep making medium rated holds,so anyone can play them without going to Hints & Solutions board :D

But when DROD RPG comes...Hahaa!
08-19-2008 at 04:03 PM
AlternativePuzzles
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 30
Hmm, a fun hold. Small, but interesting. I can't say I liked the storyline, but I guess it was all right. The thing that I really didn't like the most about this hold was two room puzzles. The puzzles were good, but for a full hold, you need more of them. Perhaps if The Architest made longer holds, I would be happier.

3 Brains
6 Fun
52/100 Recommendation (How much I would recommend this hold to another player)

Test out my hold currently in
architecture:
[url=http://forum.caravelgames.com/
viewtopic.php?TopicID=26578]Spike
Pit
08-25-2008 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Torture Rooms: Once North should be marked unscorable.
09-08-2008 at 11:20 AM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
3 brains, 6 fun.

Despite Tahnan's disapproval, I actually found the misspellings to be highly entertaining. I normally do not, so that is strange.

But a hold titled "An Citizen Quest" is awesome and the opening line "Guy readed a book and said: 'This is fastest shortcut!'" is simply epic. Pure poetry.

Aside from that, the hold was entertaining, though I didn't feel any desire to optimize any rooms. Mostly it was of the easier type of "figure out how to kill this monster without any weapons", and some were genuinely clever, even if not difficult.

It entertained me for a few minutes and that's all I ask.

08-25-2011 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : An Citizen Quest (Citizen puzzles!) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com