Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Mindless action games. (Because DROD exhausts your brain)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
IP: Logged
icon Mindless action games. (0)  
I'm looking for good simple mindless action games... like DRODer! or even better like Icy Tower or Warning Forever (both available at the underdogs) because when I get frustrated of thinking nothing is better than a reflexes game, especially one with high scores. Warning Forever is definitely my current favorite, but I'm having trouble beating my high scores now. It's amazing how good the graphics for that game are with a zip file under 800k.

03-08-2004 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Mindless action games. (+1)  
It doesn't get much more mindless than Phobia III! :guns

Also try Chromium BSU.

- Gerry
03-08-2004 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
Heli2 is mindless. It was done by squarecircle co but I checked their site and its no longer there. I did find it on another page. You can google heli2 and find it. I saved the swf myself because I had loading games from the net and you can avoid all the stuff around the sides.
03-08-2004 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Mindless action games. (+2)  
Subspace might work for you. It's a big multiplayer shoot-em-up. It looks and plays a little like Asteroids, in that you have a topdown 2d view of a rotating ship with thrusters. The game can actually get very involved, but it is easy enough to start out as long as you stay in the right game zones.

http://www.subspacehq.com/

-Erik

03-08-2004 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Subspace actually doesn't exist anymore... It's called Continuum now, but is basically the same. That's getting into way too much control for my tastes... although many may enjoy it, it's quite fun

03-09-2004 at 12:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Mindless action games. (0)  
www.addictinggames.com has quite a few twitch games for you to peruse. My personal favourite is CurveBall, which is basically 3D pong where you're allowed to curve the ball by hitting it while your paddle is in motion.

03-09-2004 at 04:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
There's a game I heard of that pits you against a small number of enemies who come in from the edge of the screen. As you kill enemies, the screen zooms out a bit, adding a couple more enemies at a time, until you realise that there's millions of them out there and only one of you.

Anyone seen that around?

Matt

03-09-2004 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
When I want mindless killing I play Serious Sam: The Second Encounter, last level, unlimited lives, serious difficulty.
Too big to download, but its a good game.

Also, you might want to play "Slay NOW!" in the Architecture section.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-09-2004 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
Drizzo wrote:
....... way too much control for my tastes...

Try Infantry, it's a similar game just like Sub Space but you replace ships with soldiers and weapons. Theres 1/2 the amount of controls you use in sub space plus theres lots of different themed zones (Capture the flag, Team deathmatch, Skirmish, Fleet, RPG, Gravball, Boomball.. the list goes on). Sadly Infantry is now P2P (pay to play), you can try as a "Guest" and play all of the zones except RPG. You can download it [url www.infantryzone.com]here.

10 points to see what my avatar character class is, and what zone he is in.
03-11-2004 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Heli Attack 2 is great. Awesome weapons. Awesome gameplay. Classic graphics. http://www.miniclip.com/heli2.htm

Powerup list so far is: Green box, 3 dots: Shotgun. Fires 5 pellets in fairly tight spread.
Blue box, 3 dots: uzi/akimbomac10s. Fires fast and hard.
Red box, mine: Firemine, makes a fireline. Drop under a heli and watch the fun.
Blue box, jetpacky thingy: Grapple cannon: 1-hit KO.
Grey box, red cross: Health GET GET GET!
Grey box, arrow: Predator mode: You become near-invisible(harder to dodge) but your weapon is now a 1-hit KO shoulder-cannon GET GET GET.
Black box with yellow and black symbol = nuke. Use the superjump to deliver.
Black box with green thingy = railgun. Lots of damage, fires through walls I think, so get in the alcove.
Purple box, 2/3ds full orange juice = RPG. Starts out slow then speeds up drastically.
Box with 3 rockets: Shotgun rockets, 3 clips does for a chopper.
Box with single rocket: Rocket launcher/bazooka. Major damage, 2 per chopper.
Yellow box with striped rocket: Seeker Launcher: Not as much damage as a bazooka but does seek out enemy.

Tips:
Time distortion speeds you up relative to them and slows you down relative to the real you.
If you're above a chopper when it's smoked you get a random weapon, so use that superjump.
Nukes propel you.
Choppers last 30 pellets, and you get 1something points a pellet, so choppers last 30something points.
You can get more with explosives.
The alcove is good but not perfect.

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 on 03-15-2004 at 04:26 PM GMT]

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
03-15-2004 at 04:16 PM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Spheres Of Chaos !!!

My favourite mindless game by far ! (I don't consider quake-style games mindless)

http://www.streamerp2p.com/chaos.htm

FORGET THE SCREENSHOTS, just download and play. The animation (and sound) makes it look (and hear) much, much better.

Unfortunatelly it's just a demo (level cap + less "strage stuff", as the author calls it). I think I'm going to buy full version (8 usd)

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-18-2004 at 09:32 PM
DiMono
There are a few versions of Smack The Pingu out there, which is pretty mindless. Penguin falls, hit it with a bat and see how far you can make it go. The thread dedicated to it on these here forums is here

03-18-2004 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
For a fun little diversion with a really good soundtrack, head on over to this game. It's called The Immigration Game, or El Emigrante on its site, and basically you've jumped the fence from Mexico to the U.S., and immigration has sent every cop car they have after you and your bicycle. Move your mouse around to navigate (don't need to click) and avoid the cops for as long as possible.

Edit: Just to add, your dude in this game is the most stylish bicycle rider in history. Plus the music rocks.

[Edited by DiMono on 03-19-2004 at 10:55 PM GMT]

03-19-2004 at 10:49 PM
Drizzo
b0rsuk wrote:
Spheres Of Chaos !!!

My favourite mindless game by far ! (I don't consider quake-style games mindless)

http://www.streamerp2p.com/chaos.htm

FORGET THE SCREENSHOTS, just download and play. The animation (and sound) makes it look (and hear) much, much better.

Unfortunatelly it's just a demo (level cap + less "strage stuff", as the author calls it). I think I'm going to buy full version (8 usd)

You eat a lot of mescaline, don't you?

Seriously the game is pretty darn cool, kinda reminds me of Syd Barett era pink floyd sounds with ridiculously wacky graphix... over top of good old classic asteroids w/more enemies and powerups... quite nice, quite nice indeed...

03-20-2004 at 02:01 AM
b0rsuk
Drizzo wrote:

You are just jealous because the voices only talk to me ! :angry

03-21-2004 at 07:59 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
So THAT'S where my voices went...

How are they? Do they need anything?

Edit: Nillo, I just noticed your "sig" above. Quite true. Do you know where to find it? My DC is busted and I can't find the soundtrack anywhere, and Ebay scares me.

~joker5

[Edited by joker5 on 03-21-2004 at 11:26 PM GMT]

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
03-21-2004 at 11:24 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Drizzo wrote:
Ahem!

Seriously the game is pretty darn cool, kinda reminds me of Syd Barett era pink floyd sounds with ridiculously wacky graphix... over top of good old classic asteroids w/more enemies and powerups... quite nice, quite nice indeed...
You must be thinking of "Scarecrow". Anyway, never mind playing the game, just let the screen saver start on the highscore or setup screens - and I used to think Jeff Minter's Llamatron was surreal. Wonderful stuff! Takes my back to my old hippy days and The Summer Of .... errr, I forget now.
03-22-2004 at 11:37 AM
b0rsuk
More about Spheres Of Chaos: I just bought the full version. If you like the demo, paying about 8$ is surely worth it !

It's mad ! So much new strange stuff, tar-like growing flowers, silly aliens that dodge your shots and run away, multiplayer up to 8 players (8 - how about controls !!?? beats me. My keyboard gets stuck at 3+ simultaneous). No network play as far as I know.

10-06-2004 at 12:15 PM
b0rsuk
http://crimsonland.reflexive.com/crimsonland/

Crimsonland wasn't designed for The Red Hawk. Aside from that, it's a very funny game. You'll know where does the name come from after playing it for 2 minutes.

It's a 2D topdown shooter/kil_as_many_as_you_can_before_death kind of game. What makes it unique ?
- genre, as it's generally considered extinct
- leveling up ! You get one extra perk per each level and design your ubersoldat !
- twisted sense of humour.
You treat your own bullets with rat poison. You do it for good luck, but it happens to have some side effects.
- Lots of weapons, and over 40 perks
- Good accelerated graphics

I really, really recommend this game if you had a bad day. Post your highscores + used weapon !
(To unlock new perks and weapons, you need to play quest levels instead of survival)

02-06-2005 at 06:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Mindless action games. (Because DROD exhausts your brain)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com