Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Gaming Backlog (Something every gamer has to do eventually)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon The Gaming Backlog (0)  
This is more for those among us who have more games than time.

At some point, you'll decide to compile a list of all those games you meant to play but never finished, because something (be it work, another game, holiday, data loss, what have you) got in the way.

I compiled a list recently - some games I don't have any more, and there's a few I need to pull out my old 486 to play. But what surprised me was how long it was - a incredible 120 games have been left by the wayside at some point (a lot of the freeware PC games). I'm wondering whether I have ADD.

Anyone let more games fall by the wayside, or been in the same sort of situation?

Matt

03-01-2004 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: The Gaming Backlog (0)  
Heh, I have more than 200 games on my computer. It would take a lifetime to finish them all. :D

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-01-2004 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Yeah, it doesn't matter if you grow out of some games, and drift away from others. As long as you remember where you came from and what you owe to them(Personally, I my games owe me about a point of GPA) then you'll be fine.

And my list is just over 300.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
03-01-2004 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Hello...my name is Neil...and I'm a Game Addict. If you count all the little freeware games...then yeah, I've got tons. But I also have lots of games I paid good money for and haven't even opened the boxes or played more than 20 minutes. Granted, those are usually games I got for like $5 in the bargain bin, and so I don't feel bad for not playing them. If I spend $50 on a game, you can be sure I'm playing that thing until I feel I've gotten my money's worth. Which doesn't necessarily mean beating it. I still haven't beaten Final Fantasy X, but I have more than 40 hours into it, so I feel it was money well spent. Of course, I have much more time invested in DROD and that was free, so go figure.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-01-2004 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I've got hundreds. My favourite one is a game called Deadly Rooms of Death. :) And you can never finsh it. You can edit your rooms, so it goes on and on and on.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-01-2004 at 07:04 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
My list is actually pretty short, but I have noticed a definite trend:

Most games cost $50 or so, and you get about six hours of play out of them. Sometimes you find a game that you can just keep playing and playing, and that ends up being the game you spend all your time on, completely ignoring other games even if you buy them after you started playing this one. I payed good money for Baldur's Gate, its expansion, Shivers 2, and Space Quest 5 and 6, and I've never seen what the CDs look like.

03-02-2004 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Heresy you didn't play Baldurs Gate.
03-02-2004 at 03:33 AM
Mattcrampy
SQ6 was really cool. I've got it here (thank god I did in fact finish it.)

It's now 119 items long - I finished Seiklus after poking around on the Internet, which told me that the music puzzle was next.

Then I remembered that I still haven't finished Mario Sunshine, so it's back up to 120.

Oh well, at some point (probably the weekend) I'll break out my old 486 and have a look at the 10 or so DOS-only games on my list. Some I might decide they're not worth finishing, because I never got to boot them up - fine by me - but others, like Beneath a Steel Sky, I'll probably stick out till the end.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 03-08-2004 at 09:44 AM GMT]

03-02-2004 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
The only game I have that I want to finish, but never get around to is Black and White... and maybe Homeworld (the 1st one) if I could ever master the interface... but DROD and Day of Defeat take most of my computer resources...

----------

And one of these days I'll defeat Zangband... really... maybe
... and I want to buy fallout and fallout 2 and play those again..

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-08-2004 at 08:52 AM GMT]

03-08-2004 at 08:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Homeworld's actually on my list. I think I have a better chance of finishing it than, say, F-Zero GX.

Matt

03-08-2004 at 09:00 AM
Drizzo
You're far better off playing Fallout, as I noticed you said you hadn't on the RPG page... There are only a few games that have ever given me that much joy... The original Zelda... DROD... umm... Did I mention the original Zelda?

03-08-2004 at 09:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Original Zelda's on my list (haven't finished the second quest, or indeed doing it without using savestates), and I might add Fallout 1 and 2 and just say I can't get it, ahem, 'working'. No wonder.

But having 120 games was nice and neat, except I found a new adventure game, so that's right out the window.

Matt

03-08-2004 at 11:36 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Black and White. Ugg what a waste of money that game was. I played it perhaps 2 hours and uninstalled it. The worst ever interface to a game I have seen along with appaling game play.
03-08-2004 at 11:45 PM
Drizzo
bad interface yes, but that was fixable by modifying the controls.. the defaults are unfortunate... but once you've gotten beyong that, and beyond the very beginning, the game becomes challenging interesting hilarious, and most importantly, absolutely unique..

03-09-2004 at 12:30 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Yeah, Black & White was fun and unique. One of the most interesting aspects of the game was to teach the creature what it should and should not do. Too bad the game does'nt work anymore on my computer.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-09-2004 at 08:13 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : The Gaming Backlog (Something every gamer has to do eventually)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com