Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Changing Your Title
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
joker5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 607
IP: Logged
icon Changing Your Title (0)  
This has probably been suggested(and shot down) before, but I can't find the topic. Sooo....

I'm thinking that once one gets enough posts one should be able to change one's title from "Smitemaster" to something else in the profile. For instance, I'd like to be "Lord Of The Tar", but I think my signature is long enough as it is.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-05-2004 at 09:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Changing Your Title (0)  
Yeah, it was discussed before when I hit 1000 posts, and shot down then as being too complicated to actually implement on the boards. And even if this wasn't the case, it would be really confusing to new members, so even if I thought it would be neat before I realize it's not so good an idea now. Besides, 1/3 of the people in the "Smitemaster" range are officials, so it's not like it's so crowded that we really need to distinguish people yet.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-05-2004 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
How about something like "Smitemaster - Lord of the Tar"?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-07-2004 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
That would work... your current post range followed by your "title"... but then we'd have a lot of complication....

Nuts.

Ah well.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-07-2004 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
How about allowing anyone to change their title, regardless of their rank? Being a delver is boring. And this forum is supposed to be a democratic place that takes no account of insignificant things like post count, so....

02-14-2004 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
If you don't want to be a delver, visit the forum more. ;)

02-14-2004 at 07:46 PM
masonjason
Yes, but then I'll be a master delver, which is still boring. And then a smiter, which is still boring. And then a smitemaster, which is still boring.

02-14-2004 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Could we associate images with the different ranks? You know, to spice things up a little? For instance, Roachling is a row of roaches, Goblin is a row of goblins, Delver is a spinning Beethro head, Master Delver is two Beethro heads, Smiter is three Beethro heads, Smitemaster is four Beethro heads, and the "Legendary"s have something else all their own?

Note: these would be images resembling 20px high by 120px wide, or less, nothing overly huge. For an example of what I mean, my forum uses something resembling what I'm talking about, with zero to seven Fleur-des-Lis.

02-14-2004 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Beethro head are a bad idea. How about a big sword for Smiters, and a bigger one for Smitemasters?

02-14-2004 at 11:22 PM
DiMono
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Beethro head are a bad idea. How about a big sword for Smiters, and a bigger one for Smitemasters?
You mean something like this? :)

02-15-2004 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Except that the swords look quite dirty, oxidised and unkempt.

Bad DiMono! Go and clean and polish them.

:D

02-15-2004 at 12:39 AM
DiMono
agaricus5 wrote:
DiMono wrote:
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Except that the swords look quite dirty, oxidised and unkempt.

Bad DiMono! Go and clean and polish them.

:D
I was actually going for the "wear and tear from use" angle, but it's easy enough to change them. I'm actually thinking I might want to redo the tips anyway, make them a little more pointy and visible.

Edit: I've edited the files to clean them and make them more pointy. What do people think of them?

[Edited by DiMono on 02-15-2004 at 02:16 AM GMT]

02-15-2004 at 01:57 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Ehhhh...no.

I don't really like the look of images for ranks - I think it places too much emphasis on them, and I like that the words obfuscate where everyone places somewhat. We're smitemasters, not bureaucrats.

The only way I'd see clear to getting images as part of rankings is something small, an orb or something, next to Caravel Team members. But that would be it.

In any case, we'll be scrapping the current ranking system sometime this year for something far more interesting and fair. But we'll probably keep the ranking display the same.

Anyway, we'll look at other ways to make classy forum users stand out. But anything we do would have to fit with the rest of the page - I don't want to end up like Slashdot, where people only see disjointed conversations made up of posts that for whatever reason interesting while everyone else gets ignored.

Matt

02-15-2004 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Mattcrampy wrote:
In any case, we'll be scrapping the current ranking system sometime this year for something far more interesting and fair.
Yay! My suggestion? (see post 9 slots above this one) :holiday

[Edited by masonjason on 02-15-2004 at 12:44 PM GMT]

02-15-2004 at 12:43 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Nope, sorry. We'll probably insert a few more titles, or rejig the titles we have (so we don't have the old Delver/Senior Delver/Extender Delver/Super Delver/Delver Extraordinaire/Secret Tiger Dragon Rank Delver issue). But anyways, it's going to be a very neat system, as befits a small site with delusions of grandure.

Matt, who will say no more

02-15-2004 at 01:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Changing Your Title
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com