Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum Button
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Terrafire
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged
icon Forum Button (0)  
Can somebody add a Forum button, on the sidebar?(like under Contact Us ) :closedeyes .
Becuase I can NEVER find where to enter the forums, from the main page. :/

01-25-2004 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Forum Button (0)  
Go to "Fun Stuff" and "Forum" or use the link on the home page. But yeah, there should be a link.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-25-2004 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I thought it was a bit tacky, really.

But okay, forum button it is. Now all I have to do is prod Schik to add a 'Site' link.

Matt, who happens to have the graphics right here, coincidentally

01-26-2004 at 12:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Mattcrampy wrote:
But okay, forum button it is. Now all I have to do is prod Schik to add a 'Site' link.
You have one at the bottom of every page! What more do you want? Man, you're greedy. -_-

01-26-2004 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Schik wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
You have one at the bottom of every page! What more do you want?

One somewhere people would actually think of looking? And that uses the full name of the game?

The point is, we've been getting people who are attracted to the forum through googling for one of the many non-DROD topics on the anything forum, and they have no idea what DROD.net is. How would they know the link at the bottom isn't just to a funnily-named webhost, but actually to the game that the forum was designed to discuss?

After all, if they click the big banner on top, it just takes them back to the forum. And what's a DROD anyway? Where would you find it? Staying around and asking takes time and effort. Clicking a link to where the information is would be nice and easy; but hunting for the link is not.

(I should point out, that there are a total of 3 links at the top of each page that lead to the forum front page. There are 0 that lead to the game. That's just perverse).

[Edited by eytanz on 01-26-2004 at 05:08 AM GMT]

01-26-2004 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
eytanz wrote:
(I should point out, that there are a total of 3 links at the top of each page that lead to the forum front page. There are 0 that lead to the game. That's just perverse).
#1 - the DROD.net Forum banner. It would obviously be very odd to make that go to the main site.
#2 - in the "path" line that shows where you're currently at. i.e. DROD.net forum : board name : topic name . Again, it doesn't make much sense to change that one.
#3 - in the forum toolbarish thing in the upper right. Again, it would be odd to change that one to go to the site, since everything else in that bar goes to a forum-specific page. I wouldn't mind *removing* that one however.

So... where should a new link to the main site go? I'm not trying to discourage anyone from seeing the main site - I just really don't know where to put a link. Give me some input and we can try different things.

01-26-2004 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, I think the best would be -

A - Remove the "Home" link on the upper right bar. It's redundant.
B - Above the upper right bar, it says in nice big letters "DROD.net forum". That's very nice, but it's a bit redundant given that there's a whopping big, graphical banner an inch to it's left saying the exact same thing. Therefore, either -

B1 - Remove the DROD.net Forum text title over the upper right bar, and add a "DROD Webpage" link there.
B2 - Replace the DROD.net forum banner with one that says "Deadly Rooms of Death" and that takes you to the site.

I prefer the second of these options (advertising DROD is more important than advertising the forum), but I have a feeling you'd prefer the first.

01-26-2004 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
eytanz wrote:
A - Remove the "Home" link on the upper right bar. It's redundant.
I'm with you here.
B - Above the upper right bar, it says in nice big letters "DROD.net forum". That's very nice, but it's a bit redundant given that there's a whopping big, graphical banner an inch to it's left saying the exact same thing.
True, true. I think we can get rid of that large text.
B1 - Remove the DROD.net Forum text title over the upper right bar, and add a "DROD Webpage" link there.
B2 - Replace the DROD.net forum banner with one that says "Deadly Rooms of Death" and that takes you to the site.

I prefer the second of these options (advertising DROD is more important than advertising the forum), but I have a feeling you'd prefer the first.
I do prefer the first. While I certainly want to advertise the game (everything except Anything IS a big advertisement for the game...), the banner is simply describing where you are. The site has a "DROD the game" banner, and I wouldn't ask for the it to be changed to a Forum banner. And since I use the big banner all the time to go back to the index, I'd be hitting it accidentally for MONTHS. But hey - I'm here to support the people who love the game - if I'm the only one who thinks this way, I'll change it.

Personally, I'd prefer having a banner similar to the DROD.net homepage banner in the upper right of the forum. It would give the full name of the game and would provide a large, extremely visible link to the main site.

01-26-2004 at 05:44 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum Button
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com