Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A way to implement the RPG in the forum (Using tabs)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1226
IP: Logged

File: Drod_ forum 1.PNG (115.2 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A way to implement the RPG in the forum (+2)  
Yesterday I thought of a great way to implement the RPG into the forum in a way that the forum doesn't look messy and in a way it's easy to see for newcomers.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so have one!
Click here to view the secret text

NOTE: This is NOT a final lay-out, boards can be switched and replaced to make navigation easier.

Basically what I thought is this:

* Place all general boards which apply to both games under 1 section.

* Place the game-specific boards under another section, which has tabs for the classic games and the RPG, in different colors.

* Use a Java script to switch between tabs in a way which does not reload the whole page.

* The above points also apply to the 'Hold Beta Testing' section.

Please give your input!

[Last edited by slimm tom at 07-15-2008 12:11 PM]
07-15-2008 at 12:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: A way to implement the RPG in the forum (0)  
Mmm, I think we're really just going to want a section that's got nearly everything the DROD section has, but for the RPG. Maybe not two "Press Clippings" or "Contests" boards, but everything else.

07-15-2008 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
No, I don't think so. Take General. The discussions are mostly about all DROD games. It would also be extra complicated for either Mike or Erik to post an announcement. They have to post it 2 times, in both general boards, to ensure all people see it.

And the Illumination, why copy that? They're not gonna write 2 each month, I can tell you that.

The site, is really just about 'The site'. No clue whatsoever why you should duplicate it.

I stick with the screenshot. I carefully decided which boards need to be duplicated and which don't. Maybe we can also duplicate the 'Feature requests' board, but that's it in my opinion.

EDIT: Also, if you duplicate about all boards it'll be much more complicated, especially for newcomers, and we'll have lots of posts in wrong boards.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 07-15-2008 12:37 PM]
07-15-2008 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I like the concept very much, although it probably should be called DROD as opposed to Classic. And general should be split, illumination is for the big announcements, General is for game specific announcements.
07-15-2008 at 01:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
NiroZ wrote:
I like the concept very much, although it probably should be called DROD as opposed to Classic. And general should be split, illumination is for the big announcements, General is for game specific announcements.

Hmm yeah, I didn't look at it that way, I agree to a certain point, but I'm not sure yet.
07-15-2008 at 01:50 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
It says "All DROD-related topics welcome." This doesn't look to me like it should be limited just to the non-RPG DROD games. Besides, look at the topics on the general board, most of them really aren't related to the *game* itself.
07-15-2008 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: A way to implement the RPG in the forum (+1)  
Why reinvent the wheel when there's already a perfectly working mechanism in place to show/hide part of the forums list?

(Try clicking on the - icons next to a board category name if you don't know what I mean...)

I for one will probably be interested in both DROD and DROD RPG topics, and only ever having one of those two categories visible means I'll have to click back and forth between them, when I could have them in a nice collapsible list that can be shortened with one click if needed.

Also, tabs in the middle of a list are just bad UI form IMHO. If anything, they need to go to the top of the list, but since there'll be DROD, DROD RPG and shared boards it'll just get messy anyway...

Just my 0.02 EYPO...

np: The Cinematic Orchestra - Man With The Movie Camera (Live At The Royal Albert Hall)

07-15-2008 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Briareos wrote:
Why reinvent the wheel when there's already a perfectly working mechanism in place to show/hide part of the forums list?

(Try clicking on the - icons next to a board category name if you don't know what I mean...)

I for one will probably be interested in both DROD and DROD RPG topics, and only ever having one of those two categories visible means I'll have to click back and forth between them, when I could have them in a nice collapsible list that can be shortened with one click if needed.

Also, tabs in the middle of a list are just bad UI form IMHO. If anything, they need to go to the top of the list, but since there'll be DROD, DROD RPG and shared boards it'll just get messy anyway...

Just my 0.02 EYPO...

np: The Cinematic Orchestra - Man With The Movie Camera (Live At The Royal Albert Hall)

Hmm yeah, but I thought the list would get a bit long, even if you can collapse/decollapse. I've always been a sucker for tabs and stuff like that, and this lay-out seemed the most sufficient to me.
07-15-2008 at 05:13 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: A way to implement the RPG in the forum (+1)  
Yeah, I'm just going to stick with the existing grouping mechanisms we have. There will be a Caravel (or General) category, DROD, and DROD RPG.

07-16-2008 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
This looks like a really good idea, a way for newcomers not to be too dumfounded on where to go when they first visit the Caravel Forum.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
07-16-2008 at 08:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A way to implement the RPG in the forum (Using tabs)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com