Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How many rooms?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
IP: Logged
icon How many rooms? (0)  
Just a question: How many rooms is too many? I am currently working on a hold where one of the levels has 49 rooms. Is this too many? Would it become boring after a while?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Jim :D

01-24-2004 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: How many rooms? (0)  
It depends... If the room style is varying, it's almost exactly the same as if it were separate levels. However, some tilesets have music that gets irritating after a while.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-24-2004 at 06:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, you can swap tilesets mid-level too, so that's not really a problem.

The main issues in having many rooms in a level are -

A - You can get lost if you skip a room (assuming the level isn't completely linear, and the restore screen is cumbersome for very large levels.
B - If you upgrade the hold, everyone who updates loses all progress in the levels, but can start in any level they've been. So, if you have multiple levels, people have to replay less.
C - Level breaks allow for a better sense of progress for the players, plus the ability to have fun title screens.
D - Level breaks do interrupt the flow of the game a bit. A single level may feel more cohesive (especially if, as Nillo suggests, it sticks to a single theme).

But basically, it's up to you - just do what feels best for your hold.

01-24-2004 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Plus, with separate levels, you can use secret level warps :cool

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-24-2004 at 07:05 PM
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
Thanks for the comments. I have tried to incorporate different themes in each room. I also have 4 levels and some level warps. Basically the one level with the 49 rooms is 7 across and 7 down, which is one big square. Is it easier to get lost is a box, or linear?

Next question is: If I wanted to take some of the rooms out, do I have to start the whole building the level from scratch or can I just delete some rooms?

Thanks,
Jim

01-24-2004 at 07:29 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
jjohn7418 wrote:
Next question is: If I wanted to take some of the rooms out, do I have to start the whole building the level from scratch or can I just delete some rooms?
You could copy rooms and paste them into a new level if you decide to split it up.

My input on the issue - For playtesting, yeah, it might be a pain in the butt if there are problems. That's a lot of rooms to replay just to get to one changed room. But for a finished, playtested hold - I think I'd love it, assuming it's not a 7x7 maze or something intentionally irritating.

01-24-2004 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
jjohn7418 wrote:
If you're in the main build screen and click on a room in the overmap view, a pale blue outline will appear on the room. You can now do the standard copy, paste, and delete functions, thus negating the need to redo the level from scratch.

To paste the room to another level, or another hold, or even just another place on the same level, you need to have an existing room selected before pasting. This has the obvious effect of removing the contents of the room you're pasting over, so as long as you're careful you can do whatever room manipulations you want without having to start over from scratch. Just be careful :)

01-24-2004 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How many rooms?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com