Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD in C (A brilliant Idea!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blooloo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
IP: Logged
icon DROD in C (0)  
Graphics in C are just library functions, right? Some people on this forum like programming, right? With the help of our pals, we could make our own DROD, right? It might be crazy enough to work! :smile

06-02-2008 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: DROD in C (+2)  
Blooloo wrote:
Graphics in C are just library functions, right? Some people on this forum like programming, right? With the help of our pals, we could make our own DROD, right? It might be crazy enough to work! :smile
Far be it from me to curb your enthusiasm, but...

* The code for DROD (C++, not C - but I think that's close enough) is already free - why not just expand on it instead of starting over from scratch? Of course you'll still have to make up new gameplay stuff (elements, rules, algorithms, ...), create new art etc., but it's a solid base you can build on.

* I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a project started by some enthusiast that didn't have the skills to code at least some of the code as a start actually turn into more than a pile of plans, to-dos, ideas but no working code or binaries - just take a look at the oodles of projects on SourceForge that never even released a single file...

(Sorry if I'm wrongly implying that you can't code here, but your post sounded that way...)

On the other hand, people already wrote a DROD-clone for mobile phones and the Nintendo DS, so it's not out of the question - but unless I'm totally wrong in those cases it was enthusiastic people actually coding it themselves and only posting about it when they had something that already worked...

That's just my 2 EUR-cents on the matter - I hope I didn't come over too negative... :)

[Last edited by Briareos at 06-02-2008 01:26 AM]
06-02-2008 at 01:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: DROD in C (0)  
Blooloo wrote:

I can do C#, Visual Basic.Net 2008 but not C++. And I never used this DirectX stuff. So I could only help with the art.

06-02-2008 at 12:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RRodgers
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
icon Re: DROD in C (+1)  
I wrote a DROD game in C a while ago. Through December 2007 - January 2008. It took about a month to complete. It had everything from roached to tar, and even NPCs with a full scripting engine. You could create a storyline in it as well. As far as I know, it had absolutely every feature in DROD itself.

The unfortunate bit is that I used graphics from commercial versions of DROD, so I am not allowed to release or show it to anybody. But I do have working binaries. Anyway, my enthusiasm for that project has run down. And I will never find the time to remake all those graphics myself, so the demo will probably rot on my hard drive forever...

I think it would be meaningless to recreate DROD anyway, since it is not original and nobody would really enjoy it more than the real DROD. But I have recreated it and it was a fun programming experience, but now I am off to do bigger projects (similar to Doom 3, but without the satanism).

Try making something innovative instead. :)
09-13-2008 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD in C (A brilliant Idea!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com