Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Audition: New Voice of Beethro
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged

File: Auditions for Beethro.ogg (475.2 KB)
Downloaded 100 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Audition: New Voice of Beethro (+2)  
First person to tell me what three holds these lines come from gets two rank points!
06-09-2008 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: Audition: New Voice of Beethro (0)  
Between calamarain and Rheb, I gotta say that calamarain has a better recording quality, but the accent doesn't just sound like Beethro. Rheb is more similar to Beethro's voice, but his mic is all noisy and low on Volume. I need another recording of Rheb.

06-09-2008 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Ezlo wrote:
First person to tell me what three holds these lines come from gets two rank points!

The holds are Halph has a Bad Day, Beethro's Teacher and I don't know the third one.

Also you sound too tired, and more younger than Beethro...

06-09-2008 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I agree that Cal has a good voice and great recording environment. It's not like Sten, but it doesn't have to be. Everyone's in the running until someone with a closer fit comes along. If you want to add more of that American drawl and talk with some gravel in your throat, that would probably match Sten perfectly.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-09-2008 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
vittro wrote:
Rheb is more similar to Beethro's voice, but his mic is all noisy and low on Volume. I need another recording of Rheb.
May I add that when he recorded that his sister was vacuuming in the next room. I'm sure he can make recording without noise.

06-09-2008 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Yeah :P (I'll probably be able to get a pretty good mic too, but I haven't been able to find it.)

Still, I agree with Blondbeard that my voice don't really fit for the Beethro role...

06-09-2008 at 04:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154

File: Beethro.mp3 (269 KB)
Downloaded 90 times.
My attempt.

PS. I can do a pretty wide array of other voices.

06-09-2008 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb

File: Beethro2.ogg (313.6 KB)
Downloaded 90 times.
Well, I couldn't resist to do a second try now that I've found the mic :P This one is quite good actually, at least in my opinion.

[Last edited by Rheb at 06-09-2008 05:37 PM]
06-09-2008 at 05:36 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I like this second try a lot better :)

06-09-2008 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Blondbeard wrote:
Hmm... These Beethro's sounds so... sophisticated :P I don't know, but I've never pictured Beethro with a "nice" english accent.
English doesn't mean nice. Think of all the English villains there are in American cinema ;-)

06-09-2008 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
NiroZ wrote:
And sten's voice featured a strong American accent.
Sten's voice featured a mild New York accent. There's really no such thing as generically American accent.

06-09-2008 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:Sten's voice featured a mild New York accent. There's really no such thing as generically American accent.
Sorry if I got the strength of his accent mixed up, and I was aware that there were multiple american accents, I just couldn't place his, thus I just left it vague. But does it really matter?
06-10-2008 at 03:58 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Doesn't the strength of someone's accent depend on the strength of your own?
06-10-2008 at 06:11 PM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448

File: Caravellenet-Beethro.mp3 (715.9 KB)
Downloaded 177 times.
icon Re: Audition: New Voice of Beethro (+3)  
Here you go, here's my work if you'd like it, it's in secret tabs so as to not introduce bias to other auditioners.

Halph Has a Bad Day:
Click here to view the secret text

Beethro's Teacher:

Beethro and the Secret Society:

I used my natural voice, strictly North American.

EDIT: By natural voice I mean how I speak, nothing Grotowskian.

[Last edited by Snacko at 06-26-2008 01:17 AM]
06-20-2008 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Rescator
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
That sounds pretty damn good.

06-28-2008 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Hmm... Yeah! I agree.
06-29-2008 at 08:54 AM
vittro
I think we found new Beethro.

Snacko's voice is awesome!

06-30-2008 at 09:37 PM
mrimer

File: SGAcreative_Beethro-2.mp3 (438.1 KB)
Downloaded 110 times.
Steve Anderson (SGACreative), who has done various voices in DROD games before, said he'd like to do the part of Beethro. Here's a sample of his voice.

07-01-2008 at 01:17 AM
Rheb
Danforth?

07-01-2008 at 12:25 PM
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
Yep, that's definitely Danforth! :) The guy's definitely talented, but I think his voice may be too deeply ingrained into the average DRODder's psyche for him to play Beethro... My vote's for Snacko.

07-01-2008 at 02:57 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yeah, I would say Snacko as well.
07-01-2008 at 05:06 PM
NiroZ
mrimer wrote:
Steve Anderson (SGACreative), who has done various voices in DROD games before, said he'd like to do the part of Beethro. Here's a sample of his voice.
I'm not denying he's good, but he sounds too much like a cowboy straight out of the wild west. Beethro is hardly a cowboy.
07-02-2008 at 12:24 AM
mrimer

File: SGAcreative_Beethro-4.mp3 (456 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
NiroZ wrote:
mrimer wrote:
I'm not denying he's good, but he sounds too much like a cowboy straight out of the wild west. Beethro is hardly a cowboy.
I agree, and I told him the same thing. Here's a new sample from him with less cowboy in it.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-02-2008 02:35 PM]
07-02-2008 at 02:34 PM
NiroZ
Now I could swear he's trying to sell something. Or maybe I'm just used to him as danforth. Perhaps if the voice was deeper, and talked slower it would be more convincing.
07-03-2008 at 01:22 AM
Blondbeard
Heh! And there's elements of a cliché american farmer accent (to my ears). I hardly picture Beethro as an american farmer. My vote is still for Snacko.
07-03-2008 at 07:45 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Audition: New Voice of Beethro (+1)  
Well, having finally listened to all these samples, I definitely like Snacko's best. Ezlo was pretty good as well, (though he'd need a better mic, his recording had a fair bit of static).

The voice Steve Anderson is using in both samples ends up being a bit over the top instead of being gruff. It still ends up sounding like Danforth, and either would have been a good voice for Denfry, but not so much for Beethro. Looking at voice samples on his site, it seems like he could do Beethro's voice well, but it needs less flair, and more weathered and world weary.

07-03-2008 at 07:26 PM
Blondbeard
Beef Row wrote:
Well, having finally listened to all these samples, I definitely like Snacko's best. Ezlo was pretty good as well, (though he'd need a better mic, his recording had a fair bit of static).

The voice Steve Anderson is using in both samples ends up being a bit over the top instead of being gruff. It still ends up sounding like Danforth, and either would have been a good voice for Denfry, but not so much for Beethro. Looking at voice samples on his site, it seems like he could do Beethro's voice well, but it needs less flair, and more weathered and world weary.

I agree compleatly.
07-03-2008 at 08:23 PM
Rescator
I gotta say that Snacko nailed it, sounds so natural (maybe due to it being his natural voice? *laughs*) and it feels like the "character" gets through without being forced, pleasant to listen to as well.

SG is good but I think he'll have to admit defeat on this one :P

Obviously it would not hurt if Snacko recorded some more example lines, like a wispering/hushed Beethro, Sad, Happy, Angry, Shouting. I'm confident that Snacko can pull all those Beethro's off while still sounding natural and "in character" without sounding forced.

07-07-2008 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer

File: SGAcreative_Beethro-6.mp3 (264.4 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
Here's a new take by Steve Anderson based on people's feedback here.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-08-2008 03:27 AM]
07-08-2008 at 03:26 AM
Rescator
Hmm, that does sound much better. But personally I still think Snacko's is much better.

Not sure what to say on SGA here, maybe a different way to do the emphasis? Instead of pitching the voice up, maybe pitch it down.

Although that could end up making it all seem much more serious than exited/humorous as pitching up does currently.

This is really stepping into Game Director or Sound Director or Casting Director territory here. As that could or could not be want you guys want? *looks at Mike*

I mean, there is several ways to do this.
1. Replicate the old Beethro exactly. (or as close as possible)
2. A new but deadpan rendition. (with nice pacing this can have hilarious results when put in context/dialog with other characters)
3. A excited/a bit over the top rendition. (funny on its own unless pacing and pitch is really done weird)
4. Let the voice actor do their own thing (which could be completely different than the original Beethro, a reboot in other words, if it worked for Batman Begins it could also work here :) )
5. I'm sure I forgot something, but as usual I lost it in in my train of thought as I was typing the 4 above. Hmm! Maybe it was just "Do a plain one. (your own real voice reading, nothing more natural than natrual is there, right?)"

;)

07-09-2008 at 12:11 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Audition: New Voice of Beethro
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com