Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Blocked square (in 3.2.0.81)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged
icon Blocked square (+1)  
I believe I may have found a bug; perhaps not a very consequential one, but it may be worth mentioning it.

In Lowest Proper, 1W there is a square onto which I cannot move Beethro from any of the 8 directions When I Apple-click it it says 15, 21, Character (#8), Floor, however I can see no character, in fact there is nothing on that square; it's just a floor tile.

05-18-2008 at 09:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Blocked square (0)  
Hm. Invisible characters are not unknown, but in that room? There is a character in that general area in the server's room image.

05-18-2008 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
But invisible characters don't block the player. You should see if you can replicate this in another room.
05-19-2008 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Someone Else wrote:
But invisible characters don't block the player. You should see if you can replicate this in another room.
Also, they shouldn't show up when right clicking on their tile...

05-19-2008 at 09:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471

File: Invisible.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Blocked square (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Hm. Invisible characters are not unknown, but in that room? There is a character in that general area in the server's room image.

1. I found a trivial way to create NPCs that behave like this, you simply create a visible NPC then use "Set Appearance None". They follow normal NPC vulnerability rules, or if you give them imperative invulnerable they'll follow normal invulnerable NPC rules. They bleed visibly. Hold attached, on turn 1 you're surrounded by this kind of NPC on all sides (though some of them die on the next turn).

2. 15,21 is the center point for the trapdoors. This makes it easy to see the character is in that exact area, not just the general area.

3. There are visible characters or monsters for 1-7 and 9 but not for 8. So it probably WOULD be character #8, though I do see another character I can't specifically account for.
(Spoiler if you haven't gotten this far in TCB)
Click here to view the secret text

So yeah, certainly there would be an NPC there.

I wonder if Elfstone's copy of TCB got corrupted to do this somehow, or if she's having some other problem entirely, but it sure as heck seems similar.

EDIT: just to be totally clear, while I built a hold mimicking the symptoms of the bug, I don't get these symptoms at all in Lowest Proper: 1W myself

[Last edited by Beef Row at 05-19-2008 10:30 AM]
05-19-2008 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
The bug of invisible NPCs acting visible has happened in several Holds I have made. Elfstone, what happens if you try to stab that square?

05-19-2008 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
I can't stab anything because Beethro has to "de-sword" before entering . :(

05-19-2008 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
Elfstone wrote:
I can't stab anything because Beethro has to "de-sword" before entering . :(

Ah. If this was the bug I've experienced, stabbing the space would 'kill' the NPC: blood would splatter and the (invisible!) NPC would be gone.

05-19-2008 at 08:29 PM
Elfstone
Hang on - I'd just come back here to edit the above post because it dawned on me that for the purposes of trying this out, it doesn't matter if he enters with his sword. I'll go and try that.
(Stomps off with a fierce and determined look.)

Edit: as you said, there is the killing splatter and B can enter that square.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 05-19-2008 08:34 PM]
05-19-2008 at 08:32 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I have noticed that this has occurred in several rooms in Journey to Rooted Hold 3.2 also. Since this affects highscores and is also somewhat annoying (as Beethro does not make a bump sound when he bumps into an NPC), I think this should be fixed soon.

05-19-2008 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Hmm...weird. I don't have any problem with the NPC at 15,21 of this room. (This NPC is not visible w/ graphic "None". It handles the build markers.)

It is a bug that setting an NPC's appearance to "None" leaves it in the room though. It should disappear. I'll fix this in build 83. It shouldn't be the cause of these phantom NPCs though, because this script command is not used in either TCB or JtRH 3.2.
Chaco wrote:
I have noticed that this has occurred in several rooms in Journey to Rooted Hold 3.2 also. Since this affects highscores and is also somewhat annoying (as Beethro does not make a bump sound when he bumps into an NPC), I think this should be fixed soon.
Would you kindly point out some of these rooms so I can fix this? Thanks.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-20-2008 02:06 AM]
05-20-2008 at 01:50 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Blocked square (+2)  
Coordinates of corporeal invisible NPCs follow.

Journey to Rooted Hold

First Level

The Entrance: (21, 30)

Twice South: (21, 1)

Thrice South, Twice West: (22, 16) (particularly grating because this one is on top of the edge of the secret passage, meaning you have to kill it in order to enter and Beethro never says his line)

Thrice South, Thrice West: (15, 23)

Twice West: (10, 18)

Thrice North, Twice West: (12, 25)

Thrice North, Quarce West: (33, 11) (particularly grating because this one is blocking a one-square wide passageway that looks empty)

Thrice North, Quince West: (36, 4)

Quarce North, Quince West: (25, 1)

Sence North, Thrice West: (6, 28)

As you can tell, this problem is pretty widespread throughout all invisible NPCs in the JtRH hold, so let me just give you two more examples that are particularly grating because their appearance is NOT that of an invisible area.

Fifth Level: Twice South: (20, 17): character looks like a roach

Sixth Level: Once North, Once East: (10, 5) character looks like a golem and spoils part of the puzzle

[Last edited by Chaco at 05-21-2008 07:53 PM : sixth level NPC looks like a golem, not a roach]
05-20-2008 at 02:20 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Blocked square (+2)  
I think I've fixed this issue in build 83. It's a code-only fix, so you'll just have to re-download and re-install the game when build 83 is out. You shouldn't have to start with new data files or reimport JtRH to see immediate results.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-24-2008 at 08:16 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Blocked square (in 3.2.0.81)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com