Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : E-mail service not working
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon E-mail service not working (0)  
The last post I have that was mailed to me from the DROD forum was one made by mattcrampy at 8:08 GMT in the Level 13 topic on the Hints and Solutions forum. After that I have nothing. Other e-mails have come through, just not ones from DROD.net. Did something get changed, or is it more likely my school e-mail account blocking them for some reason?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-17-2004 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: E-mail service not working (0)  
Well, you've posted on this forum for a long time. Why should they choose now to start blocking you.

Perhaps a new junk filter or something similar is diverting them as spam?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-18-2004 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
There was something wrong with our server, as I wasn't getting the emails either. It seems to have magically fixed itself.

01-18-2004 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oneiros, did you get my e-mail? I sent it from the forum, so maybe you didn't.

Matt

01-18-2004 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Emails are broken again. My guess is that as more people sign up for email notification, and posting gets more and more frequent, we're sending out more emails per hour/day than we're allowed. I don't have any hard numbers to back that up, but I think it's likely.

I'll rewrite the emailing code soon to only send out one email per message posted - it will go to noreply@drod.net, and everyone who's signed up will be BCC'd, so as to keep email addresses hidden.

01-18-2004 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Question - how does the email notification handle edited posts? If I edit a post seven times in quick succession (as I am wont to do), does it send an email version of each update, or just the original, or just the final version, or what?

01-18-2004 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
eytanz wrote:
Question - how does the email notification handle edited posts? If I edit a post seven times in quick succession (as I am wont to do), does it send an email version of each update, or just the original, or just the final version, or what?
Currently it will only send the original and ignore edits.

01-18-2004 at 04:58 PM
eytanz
Hmmm... Anyone who relies only on e-mails will get a very different idea of my postings than people who use the board, then... :unsure

01-18-2004 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Mine as well - probably a good half of my posts are edited.

Matt

01-18-2004 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yeah, it's always been like that. It can be pretty amusing sometimes. :D

Matt, I do not have any e-mails from you recently that are not from forum posts. Well, besides that first one you sent at the beginning of the month which I responded to and I assume you're responding back now.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-18-2004 at 06:42 PM
Schik
While we're on the subject, what do the editing people and the email-receiving people think about this? As I see it, the choices are:

- Email only on a new message (current code)
- Email new messages and all non-delete edits
- Email new messages and allow the poster to decide if an edit should be emailed (default on or off?)

The 3rd is the most flexible, although slightly more complicated to code. Thoughts?

01-19-2004 at 05:47 AM
eytanz
There are two different scenarios of editing which I think need to be addressed -

- Hold threads in the architecture forum. The common practice is to attach the hold to the first post, edit it for every update, and add a post in the end with details. This is great, but you probably don't want to email every version of each attachement to everyone, since attachements are relatively big.

- People, like me, who will edit rather than add new posts if I want to add new points to the one I've already made on the same topic, and no-one replied to me yet. If people don't see the latest version, they're not reading what I want them to.

I'm not sure how to resolve this - I'm just raising both possibilities. If this were my board, I'd solve it by disabling email service altogether. But fortunately for everyone, it's not my board.

01-19-2004 at 06:26 AM
Schik
Attachments don't get emailed out - it's up to the reader to go to the thread and download the attachment if they want to. In fact, there's no indication that there even IS an attachment. I should really fix that.

In the architecture forum, since the author is generally making a new post saying "I updated the hold in the first post", I think the first scenario you brought up isn't really an issue - the email notification is being made.

As for the second scenario, it's still an issue for people without emails turned on - it doesn't get marked as unread (hmmm... another possibility - should it be unread? I guess it should), so the readers might not notice the post has changed.

I think what I'll eventually do is:
- When editing, let the user choose "is this a major edit?" If it is major, then re-add the post to unread lists, do email notification, and bump the thread. I think the default should be not a major edit, as I don't want to be notified of a typo or someone adding a new smiley.
- Force adding an attachment to be a major edit.

01-19-2004 at 06:43 AM
Schik
The forum has finally forgiven me and allowed emails to go out again, and a quick test of the new code that should only send out one email per post shows that it seems to work. As usual, let me know how it goes...

01-20-2004 at 02:37 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Schik wrote:
The forum has finally forgiven me and allowed emails to go out again, and a quick test of the new code that should only send out one email per post shows that it seems to work. As usual, let me know how it goes...
Yes, I'm seeing e-mails again. I have small faith in iPowerWeb responding to my support request in any useful way, so hopefully this change will work for us.

-Erik

01-20-2004 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yes, I'm seeing e-mails again. I have small faith in iPowerWeb responding to my support request in any useful way, so hopefully this change will work for us.
I have a report of email not working again. So... I don't really know what to do about it at this point, other than to say "Yep, it's broken."

01-20-2004 at 05:07 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : E-mail service not working
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com