Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD is confused
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
joker5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 607
IP: Logged
icon DROD is confused (0)  
Ack! I lost all my player data (and ability to play DROD) due to a bug!

When I started DROD, all was fine. Then, when I started playing The_Red_Hawk's Deep Hold I-XX w/warps, it crashed. When I started again most of the message boxes were blank or contained squares, when I pressed any button on the menu it crashed, and even uninstalling and reinstalling didn't work! I can't even get past the "please enter player name" screen! How do I fix this up? I'm DROD-dependant, and my DROD is confused about its own existance!

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-16-2004 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: DROD is confused (0)  
This sounds like the infamous "text loss" bug. It was fixed in one of the patches, which also included a recovery system. When you started up again, it should have reverted back to a previous state. However, you need to have applied the patch to do so. If you have applied the patch, then this is very bad. If you haven't applied the patch, then I am really sorry that it happened, but announcements were made. :(

To apply the patch if you haven't done so, find the thread in the News forum that announced it and download the new drod.exe file, which should replace the old one. I just always rename the old ones in case I need to revert for whatever reason. I don't think your data can be recovered though. :~(

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-16-2004 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Where is that post? This problem still happens with drod 1.6.5, if that's the patch you mean.

~joker5

01-16-2004 at 09:53 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
You say you were playing Deep Hold when it crashed, but when *exactly* did it crash? Entering a room? Going down stairs? Sitting in the middle of a room not moving?

While we're at it - Red_Hawk, are you using 1.6.5? If not, which build are you using? I took a quick look and your hold still seems to have some invalid staircases, pointing to other holds. Presumably a copy-and-paste error, all of which I believe were fixed a while back. If you are up to date with versions, then perhaps we still have a staircase destination bug.

01-16-2004 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Which post? The one announcing the patch you don't need, since you have the latest one...and the previous ones on the text loss bug you can find as well as I can earlier in the Bugs forum.

If you have the newest patch then I would suggest you try to remember anything you could have done to make this bug happen. It doesn't help the programmers too much otherwise. Of course, you should post your .dat files on this board if they're small enough, or mail them to Mike (mrimer).

The only other thing I can say is to try to export your player file, and any holds that you are working on, at regular intervals in case things like this happen. In fact, as soon as I make this post, I'm going to go export my next hold (which won't be finished until afte 1.7) just to keep it safe.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-16-2004 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
I just pressed "ok" after importing Deep Hold, and it crashed. But I've got it working again; I deleted everything but the holds and re-installed 1.6.5. I've lost all my data :( but I'll live; I've beaten Webfoot so it's no major loss for me.

Even so, if anyone happens to have some player data with a beat Dugan's, and they have some spare time to upload it, I'd use it gladly. (unless this is a major breach of some unwritten forum rule. If so, sorry. I haven't been around long enough to find that rule.)

~joker5

01-16-2004 at 10:16 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
The reason that Deep Hold caused the other computers to crash is probably because it is so large. One time I tried to copy it, just for fun, and my computer crashed too.

And Schik, I'm using the original AE, because I don't like patches and find them very confusing. I've tried doing it with other programs, and it resulted in the loss of all my data.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-16-2004 at 11:23 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
That's probably why your hold is causing problems. By not updating, you may still have some bugs contained in the hold that are causing problems to others that play the hold. I seriously doubt size is the problem and I doubt even more that upgrading the executable will cause any problems, especially after so many other people have done so and had no problems with it.

I think you should upgrade your DROD.

01-16-2004 at 11:39 PM
sims5000
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 117
It happend to me as well, maybe you shold cheak yor computer for spyware :? I had it ;)

[Edited by sims5000 on 01-17-2004 at 08:58 AM GMT]
01-17-2004 at 08:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Be warned: Some spyware programs get false hits on DROD. DROD uses an open-source DLL to open and read various files, and there is a spyware program that also uses it for god knows what reason. If you delete this DLL, it will stop DROD working. (You know DROD isn't spyware because it only gets one hit. If it did include spyware, you'd get several, including a program of some sort or maybe some datafiles.)

We've gotten in contact with Ad-Aware and let them know what the DLL actually is, so they've removed it from their lists. But who updates spyware lists anyway?

Matt

01-17-2004 at 12:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
agaricus5 wrote:
I think you should upgrade your DROD.

All right, I have. Will it take effect immediately or do I have to go through Deep Hold all over?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-17-2004 at 02:20 PM
Schik
You will have to manually fix any problems with your hold, however hopefully no new bugs will be introduced by further editing your hold.

01-17-2004 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Hawk, I'm willing to bet you have a wraithwing on some tar somewhere, which is causing a logic error and a crash.

01-17-2004 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
DiMono wrote:
Hawk, I'm willing to bet you have a wraithwing on some tar somewhere, which is causing a logic error and a crash.
What he has is stairs pointing to different holds - an artifact of buggy level/room copying in old versions of DROD.

I haven't tried it, but I don't imagine WW on tar would cause any problems, despite the fact that we now disallow it.

01-18-2004 at 02:00 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : DROD is confused
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com