Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The architects mind challenges (One room)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon The architects mind challenges (+2)  
Create the hardest room ever constructed.

Rules:
1. Limit one room per entry. No limit on entries.
2. Use common sense to create your room: no infinity rooms, no expressly tedious rooms(hack&slash)
3. Common dislikes can be used. For example Tar over walls (yet you need a visibility potion).
4. At conclusion of contest each player needs to provide a demo of each of the room he entered.

Scoring
The player will lose one point every time that one of his rooms is beaten. He will get twenty points if no one beats one of his entries. Tie breaker will be held in a vote between the two people.

Reward
4 points to winner
2 points to second
1 point for first five entries

I wish that man would stay away
03-28-2008 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: The architects mind challenges (+1)  
So just to clarify, the room must be very very hard but solvable? I'm assuming that if a room is claimed to be unsolvable, the architect must provide a demo to prove that it is (at the end of the contest obviously)

I'm also assuming no cheap scripting

e.g. "unless you take this exact path across the room, the door to the stairs won't open"

03-28-2008 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
icon Re: The architects mind challenges (0)  
Yep. Really its using common sense. Would you put this room into a hold of yours? If people would hate you for constructing it that way, would you put it in? No. Same goes here.

03-28-2008 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: The architects mind challenges (-1)  
I won't provide a demo because of tedium. But just to compensate for that, I'll give 5 rank points to the first person to conquer it and provide a demo.

Where should I put my hold? In this post?

03-30-2008 at 12:15 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
You won't provide a demo because you don't want to beat it? A general rule for architecture is that if you don't want to play it enough to work out all the bugs (and presumably record a demo, which you can do in build mode, by pressing F4 at the end, or F5 at the start EDIT: Sorry, I'm wrong on this one.) then it isn't a good room. Not only that, but
2. Use common sense to create your room: no infinity rooms, no expressly tedious rooms(hack&slash)
Also, he says to provide the demo at the end.

Can you provide time limits, for submission, and then for the end of playing, Spitemaster?

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-30-2008 02:01 AM]
03-30-2008 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Well I think that I wanted to wait and see what the response rate is, but the timeline that I am thinking of is: two weeks after first hold posted for hold submission and after the two weeks for all the players to try the holds.

Giving extra thought:

Players do not need to submit a hold.
The player who defeats the most rooms (and if there is a tie there optimized the best) will get two points.

03-30-2008 at 12:46 AM
Mr. Slice
I really doubt I needed that.

I can get far enough. The hold doesn't have any scripting in it so no bugs. The only reason that I don't want to provide a demo would be because I am not an experienced enough smitemaster to conquer the room within time parameters. If you want, I can provide a demo, but that will sacrifice my generous 5 point award.

03-30-2008 at 02:38 AM
The spitemaster
Are you saying that you couldn't beat the hold in four weeks? The point of the demo is that there would be an assurance to the people who would play it. (And just so that you don't make this mistake, the demo is for the end, so don't post it now) I can't guarantee that people will try hard to beat it. Just think, if the person who made it can't beat it, why, on earth, would the puzzle have to be possible?

These rule I made are for the sake of the contest running smoothly. And if you look around no one else thinks that these rules can be bent, or even would ask differently in a contest that they made. I can't change it to suit you or anyone else. If you feel that you can't beat your room you could post it on challenges and offer that reward there.

03-30-2008 at 03:13 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
What restrictions (if any) are there on versions of DROD that may be used?

I was thinking of trying to beat the holds submitted here, but realized that I'd be giving an unfair advantage to 3.2 holds. I can not even play 3.2 holds.
03-30-2008 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
CuriousShyRabbit I think that you are right in that aspect. I know that people need a common base for a contest. I think, however, 3.1 is currently used most prevalently and therefore will be the one featured here. People can use JTRH and AE if they want to use them. In my opinion, those people would just be limiting themselves.

03-30-2008 at 04:29 AM
Mr. Slice

File: The Hardest Hold.hold (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
License: Public Domain
All right. I made a different hold with the same type of challenge. In this case, I now have a demo of my completing it.

Happy now?

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 03-30-2008 10:00 PM]
03-30-2008 at 06:20 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: The architects mind challenges (+2)  
Do we submit rooms here or if not, where?

Are scrolls w/ hints frowned upon?
03-30-2008 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Well post the hold here. I think that you just want to make the hold clear (If scripting) but you don't want to give hints. The idea of the contest is difficulty. This might go against what you think should be in a hold, but that really is the point of the contest.

Sooo, you are more likely to win if you don't help others.

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 03-30-2008 09:53 PM]
03-30-2008 at 09:52 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Mr. Slice's hold is a 3.2 hold, and I cannot import it.
03-31-2008 at 02:56 AM
Mr. Slice
icon Re: The architects mind challenges (-1)  
Well, I suppose that's a problem. I always get the latest patch, so I don't make mistakes about things. Unfortunately, my biggest mistake was to download 3.2, which makes the whole thing ironic.

I'm still convinced that everybody else downloading 3.2 will make a golden age of hold redistributions. Seriously, downloading a Beta version won't kill your computer. Well, that's what I think.

03-31-2008 at 03:05 AM
The spitemaster
If I ask people to email the completed demos to me will that be a problem to anyone. That might be faster than getting a submission topic. (This might be a problem because you can't use caravel to submit them.

03-31-2008 at 04:03 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Mr. Slice wrote:
Seriously, downloading a Beta version won't kill your computer.
The entire point of a version being in beta is that it may still have bugs: it might not kill your computer, but then again, it might. Thanks for your reassurances, but I'm going to wait until someone who knows what he's talking about assures me that 3.2 is stable.
03-31-2008 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Tahnan wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:
The entire point of a version being in beta is that it may still have bugs: it might not kill your computer, but then again, it might. Thanks for your reassurances, but I'm going to wait until someone who knows what he's talking about assures me that 3.2 is stable.
Speaking from experience it can be a quite bad idea to download beta patches. My DROD got pretty messed up.
03-31-2008 at 09:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Tahnan wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:
You're accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking about?

Then again, I may not. I still don't understand why a few beta bugs would kill your computer. Sure, it might mess a few things up for a while, but I don't think it would cause computer kill.

03-31-2008 at 02:03 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Mr. Slice wrote:

Then again, I may not.

...to emulate Banj...

LURK MOAR

04-01-2008 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Mr. Slice wrote:
Yes. I am very explicitly accusing you of not knowing what you're talking about. You said that brains affect stalwarts, and you had no idea what you were talking about. You said that main level entrances is necessarily where you start the next level, and you had no idea what you were talking about. You offhandedly said that people might like a change that would break a lot of rooms, and you had no idea what you were talking about.

So, once again, yes. You don't know what you're talking about. There's a good chance that a beta version of DROD could corrupt your DROD data; there's a small but non-zero chance it could crash your computer. In any case, downloading a beta version is not necessarily a good idea.
04-01-2008 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
icon Re: The architects mind challenges (-2)  
Well, now I finally understand that I was wrong once, or twice, or three times in my life. I doesn't matter! Things resolve themselves like this will with this one. I have no worry about my computer.

Just as a side note; Tahnan, do you get everything correct and is always right?

04-01-2008 at 04:25 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911

File: Angry Adder.hold (1004 bytes)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's a short little room for ya.

I'd highly recommend a serpent timer, sorry.

Note: I should add that room idea based on a room from BoyBlue's Edge of the World hold.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 04-01-2008 02:58 PM]
04-01-2008 at 01:20 PM
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
larrymurk wrote:
Here's a short little room for ya.

I'd highly recommend a serpent timer, sorry.

Clever room larry. I'm not sure if I did it the way you intended, but I'm usually happy if I can get them at all.

[Last edited by captainzakku at 04-03-2008 01:30 AM]
04-01-2008 at 02:06 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Mr. Slice wrote:
Well, now I finally understand that I was wrong once, or twice, or three times in my life. I doesn't matter! Things resolve themselves like this will with this one. I have no worry about my computer.

Just as a side note; Tahnan, do you get everything correct and is always right?

I'm glad you download Beta patches, because they needs to be tested, but the important thing here is that you will have to respect that other peoples don't want to download the patch. That's a fact. I don't want to do it, Tahnan don't want to do it. This contest would become unfair if some of the rooms where made in 3.2, since everyone can't play them. And I'm sure Tahnan have been wrong lots of times during his life, just as I have. That's however besides the point right now.
04-01-2008 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Rooms beaten:

Larrymurk
Mxvladi
Spitemaster

Rooms unbeaten:
Mr. Slice, who cleverly wrote his room in 3.2 so that it is beatable, just not by me (I'm running 3.1)

I'll email out all the demos once the contest ends.

[Last edited by captainzakku at 04-04-2008 11:06 PM]
04-03-2008 at 01:41 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Is there a end date? I've got an exam next week, but after that I might be inspired to come up with something after it is over.

Maybe.

Or I'll just trot out the last room I made for a hardest-room contest. I scoff at your assertion that you are limiting yourself by just using AE.

*scoff*

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 04-03-2008 08:53 AM]
04-03-2008 at 08:52 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I love this thread so much.
04-03-2008 at 08:25 PM
Mr. Slice
mxvladi wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:
But just to compensate for that, I'll give 5 rank points to the first person to conquer it and provide a demo.

You said you'll give 5 r/p to first who provided the demo? Here it is.

Or I wasn't first??? Or I should give demo not in this post?
Actually, there was a hold that I was going to put up on this topic that I couldn't get a demo for because it was so hard. After losing 3 rank points over it, I decided against it and put a different hold on there. It's in one of my posts and has it's own demo on the title screen. I'm not going to give 5 RP to you mxvladi, because I already compromised it with adding a demo.

04-03-2008 at 10:18 PM
The spitemaster
The end date is April 13 for hold entry and two weeks after that for the end of the contest.

04-04-2008 at 12:15 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The architects mind challenges (One room)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com