Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Removing Mud Doesn't Remove Mud Space
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon Removing Mud Doesn't Remove Mud Space (0)  
I'm currently playing in Version 72, and when a mud mother is killed, the space under the mother doesn't get destroyed. This makes 2 South of Blockade of Perfect Chaos hold impossible, since you can't destroy the mud if you can't remove the mud under the mud mother.

03-27-2008 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Removing Mud Doesn't Remove Mud Space (0)  
I thought this was fixed by 3.1.0.54?

03-27-2008 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
I thought it was intentional that killing mud mothers on uncuttable mud wouldn't remove the mud itself.
And judging from the room image, the mud in that room can be removed by letting the adders eat it.

03-28-2008 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Jutt wrote:
I thought it was intentional that killing mud mothers on uncuttable mud wouldn't remove the mud itself.
Oh, that's what he's talking about! Yeah, that's intentional. Although now that I think about it, this behavior is inconsistent with that of Tar and Gel. But I suppose it's far too late to change it.

03-28-2008 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
True. I still think that mud and gel will die if the mothers on them die. It might break a lot of rooms, but people might like the change.

03-28-2008 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Mr. Slice wrote:
True. I still think that mud and gel will die if the mothers on them die. It might break a lot of rooms, but people might like the change.
That right there shoots this request down. :|

03-28-2008 at 03:23 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Rattlers should shrink when they are trapped by their own tails, just like serpents and adders.
03-28-2008 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
icon Re: Removing Mud Doesn't Remove Mud Space (-1)  
Monkey wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:

Then I suck at ideas. Thats it, I will never redeem myself in your eyes. What to do now?

03-28-2008 at 04:03 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Removing Mud Doesn't Remove Mud Space (+1)  
Mr. Slice wrote:
Monkey wrote:
Mr. Slice wrote:
It might break a lot of rooms, but people might like the change.

Then I suck at ideas. Thats it, I will never redeem myself in your eyes. What to do now?
Oh, for pity's sake, man. Have you been reading this board at all? Are you not aware that the primary rule of all requests for changes (feature requests or bug reports), ahead even of "No rayguns", is "positively nothing that will break existing rooms"? And a change like this: how can you not see that it will fundamentally change literally hundreds of rooms?

What to do now is what there always is to do: think.
03-28-2008 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Besides, this behaviour already exist for (in a few days) three years. Why should it be changed?

03-28-2008 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Well, I can start to think, then!

Oh course, why is breaking rooms so terribly bad? It destroys the room's challenge sometimes? That's possible. Another reason is probably that demos of those rooms will be outdated, and will not be correct with the actual room. Can you think of anything else why breaking rooms = bad?

03-28-2008 at 12:35 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
The room can be impossible.
03-28-2008 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Mr. Slice wrote:

Oh course, why is breaking rooms so terribly bad? It destroys the room's challenge sometimes? That's possible. Another reason is probably that demos of those rooms will be outdated, and will not be correct with the actual room. Can you think of anything else why breaking rooms = bad?
These reasons are enough for me. Making a change that would instantly negate all of the work an architect put into carefully crafting a room by changing the way it plays (making it perhaps trivial or impossible), and also negate all of the work that optimizers put into solving it--times however many hundred rooms...
03-28-2008 at 04:23 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Mr. Slice wrote:

I can start to think too, then!

Oh course, why should this be changed? Just because someone thinks it's a bug and has to be changed doesn't mean it's better to change this. I understand that this doesn't exactly cooperates with the behaviour of tar, but you can't just go and change things that are almost three years old. Can you think of anything else why this = bad?

[Last edited by Timo006 at 03-28-2008 05:21 PM]
03-28-2008 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Removing Mud Doesn't Remove Mud Space
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com