Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Kolby's Challenge (A short, interesting challenge.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (12 votes)
σ 1.04
Author Name:Someone Else
Submitted By:Someone Else
Hold Name:Kolby's Challenge
Theme:A short, interesting challenge.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:15
Number of Monsters:71
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Kolbys Challenge.hold (44.6 KB)
Downloaded 1145 times.
License: Other
icon Kolby's Challenge  
Kolby, an accomplished Smitemaster, decided to challenge himself, and he came up with the idea that he would only draw his sword when he felt threatened. This, oddly enough, caused the fabric of the universe to change, and made the hold look as if it were specifically designed for him.
03-22-2008 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Kolby's Challenge (+1)  
This is an interesting little hold. We've had several recent projects that introduce custom monsters. This hold introduces a custom player (Kolby) who behaves a little differently from Beethro.

There are two levels. First, an easy level, where you get used to playing as Kolby. Then there's a more challenging level where you apply what you've learned in more complex puzzles.

It's a very cool idea! The downsides for me are that this hold is so short. It was over just as I finally warmed up to playing as Kolby. And there were a couple rooms with trivial solutions. I'd love to see another Kolby hold from Someone Else when the inspiration strikes him. :)
03-22-2008 at 10:40 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Kolby's Challenge (0)  
I looked here to see how everyone was doing with this hold and noticed that the spider seems to be rejecting everyone's demos. I'll notify Schik.

EDIT: Schik has fixed the problem.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 03-24-2008 01:30 AM]
03-23-2008 at 06:56 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
For the most part, these puzzles aren't too complicated. But it does take some effort to reset your thinking.

I give this hold an 8 for fun with 5 brains.

03-23-2008 at 11:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
mxvladi wrote:
Espesially I like that Kolby's sword appears only when the monster is close. How did you do it, I wonder? ;)

When you conquer this hold you can look at the rooms in the editor. You can then look at the scripting for the characters that take away and give back Kolby's sword. :)

03-23-2008 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
This was a fascinating hold; I love seeing how people use scripting to develop entirely new kinds of challenge. This one is very nicely done.

The one bit of strangeness is the ordering imposed by scripting; it's a little strange to have monsters react to a sword that's no longer actually on the screen by the time you see their reaction. In a few cases--the goblin room, I think, in particular--it ends up feeling almost unpredictable; that room, at any rate, involved a lot more trial and error (plus a little nudging from CSR) than planning.

OK, the other bit of strangeness is that Kolby is apparently what you get when you cross an orc with my friend Steve.
03-24-2008 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tahnan wrote:
OK, the other bit of strangeness is that Kolby is apparently what you get when you cross an orc with my friend Steve.
Somehow I suspect less involvement of your friend Steve and more of calamarain... :D

np: 2 Bit Pie - After Hours (2 Pie Island)

03-24-2008 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Briareos wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Somehow I suspect less involvement of your friend Steve and more of calamarain... :D
I don't remember what Calamarain looks like, but I think he's Steve's type. Maybe Kolby is what you get when you cross Calamarain with my friend Steve.
03-24-2008 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Linky.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

03-24-2008 at 08:48 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tahnan wrote:
Briareos wrote:
I don't remember what Calamarain looks like, but I think he's Steve's type. Maybe Kolby is what you get when you cross Calamarain with my friend Steve.
Ummm... actually, I was talking about this... :D

03-24-2008 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Briareos wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Ummm... actually, I was talking about this... :D
Oh, yes, I knew that he had drawn Kolby. I knew that that was Calamarian's involvement. All the same, it looks like he was involved with Steve, too...
03-24-2008 at 11:43 PM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I know that I can't speak for my brother in this, but I think that the process of making the idea, of a guy that only pulled his sword in times of trouble, entertained him greatly. I think that he found this more enjoyable than making the rooms to fit it, and that would explain the shortness of the hold.

I wish that man would stay away
03-25-2008 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
This is great! I especially liked the goblin room. Highly recomendible to everyone who wants to try something original, which still carries the spirit of DROD. I can only agree with CSR. I hope weŽll see more of Kolby in the future. Maybe as an SMS ;)
03-31-2008 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Great job creating a new character!

The puzzles were well thought out though I'm pretty sure there were unintended solutions in 3 of the 7 rooms in the actual dungeon. I found the unpredictability of how Kolby's becoming sworded and unsworded affected things to be a negative.

Overall, super job.
03-31-2008 at 03:55 PM
talund
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
This was a very interesting but too short diversion. Hope to see more adventures from Kolby soon.

[Last edited by talund at 03-31-2008 05:02 PM]
03-31-2008 at 04:48 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Great little hold. Nice break from all the "standard" DROD puzzles :)
07-11-2010 at 10:51 PM
martz
Rank Points: 414
This is a neat little hold with a scripted forced handicap.

I actually struggled with the first room and had to resort to h&s for help figuring it out, but once I'd grasped the concept it wasn't too hard.

The swording did feel a bit unintuitive on a few occasions, and as stated above, there were a few rooms that seemed much easier than others due to potential unintended solutions.

The last room caught me out as well - if I was being harsh I'd describe it as a cheap trick but it was more that I didn't pay enough attention to it originally.

I think the shortness of this hold is about right - I'm not sure how much value you'd get out of further puzzles from this, and it looks like the potential sequel didn't end up progressing anywhere.

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
10-06-2021 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
The sequel is Keep at Kisantury. I don't think it's my finest work - I think I pushed myself to complete it when I should have just fiddled around and let inspiration strike. But if you enjoyed this, I still think it's still a solid hold!
10-24-2022 at 06:04 AM
martz
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Kolby's Challenge (+2)  
Indeed! That's actually the hold I'm currently playing (when I say currently, it's about a year since I played it due to my self-imposed "fully clear one hold at a time", and getting stuck on the final secret room with the clones/mirrors/briar). I shall try and review it when I eventually come back and finish it off.

Progress - Gavin G
10-27-2022 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Kolby's Challenge (A short, interesting challenge.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com