Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A more technologically advanced RPG
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1300
IP: Logged

File: The Demo.hold (126.4 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A more technologically advanced RPG (+2)  
I made the beginnings of an RPG, and I am going to release the Demo upon the forum. When I say 'beginnings', I mean that if you want to be a beta tester, it won't be done for a long time, and progress will often be slow. I'm not really looking for testers right now, but you can be if you want to. I'd really only want those people experienced with scripts, as those would probably be most of the problems that I would be encountering.

Tell me how you like it!

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-10-2008 06:28 PM]
03-07-2008 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
icon Re: A more technologically advanced RPG (+1)  
So, it's a nice concept, but it needs to be made a little bit better. apart from that, it's pretty good. Note that in 3N you can open the door just by firing off a laser.

Question, is it possible to clear 2N?µ

Also, can I be a beta-tester for this hold?

03-07-2008 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Ooh, good catch. See, I have to use a guard NPC, because if I use a wraitwing (which I would prefer), it doesn't kill the monster. There is another way I could do it, with a wraithwing, but it would take a lot of work. I'll see what can be done.

2N is possible. Try using a missile to hit the upper orbs.
03-07-2008 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Someone Else wrote:
There is another way I could do it, with a wraithwing, but it would take a lot of work. I'll see what can be done.

Perhaps using a Wraithwing-set custom NPC and the "Set Appearance" command (which I believe is included in 3.2). I think it won't be really difficult.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 03-07-2008 07:09 PM]
03-07-2008 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
icon Re: A more technologically advanced RPG (0)  
Oh, good idea. I think that would work. Thanks. I'll have a new version in 5 - 10 minutes.
03-07-2008 at 07:06 PM
Timo006
Wait a minute, you can solve 3N by merely using fegundi, as they don't get killed after they're launched and just hold their ground.

03-07-2008 at 07:19 PM
Someone Else
Now you can't, because it requires you to use them all first. Unfortunately, it also ruins 3N because you can't push mirrors with your laser anymore. I'll fix it later. Uploaded.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-07-2008 07:23 PM]
03-07-2008 at 07:21 PM
Timo006
VIPCOOL wrote:
If you fire next to a roach, it will cause a neverending cutscene. I don't think this could be fixed. Also, it would be nice to see some actual laser gun/bullet graphics instead of guards and fegundo.

I guess this is because the roaches are actually NPCs. the script seem to cause that they won't move during cutscenes and because the guard hasn't got a place to stand, it won't appear (the roach won't leave) and this, the cutscene will continue forever.

03-07-2008 at 07:59 PM
Someone Else
Correct. I'm working on how I might fix this. I could check to see if there's a monster there, and kill it. (Or, in the case of you firing a missile, turn into a fegundo and explode)
03-07-2008 at 09:32 PM
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 230
it says: "this is created with newer version of DROD and can't be imported."

03-08-2008 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Vike91 wrote:
I'm guessing you need to install version 3.2 to import this hold. Currently, this version exists only in beta, and may be downloaded from the 3.2 Patch thread on the Bugs board.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-08-2008 at 08:41 AM
Vike91
Rank Points: 230
mrimer wrote:
Vike91 wrote:
I'm guessing you need to install version 3.2 to import this hold. Currently, this version exists only in beta, and may be downloaded from the 3.2 Patch thread on the Bugs board.

I already made it.

By the way, all new patches should be informed to everybody.
:)

03-08-2008 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Vike91 wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Currently, this version exists only in beta, and may be downloaded from the 3.2 Patch thread on the Bugs board.
By the way, all new patches should be informed to everybody.
:)
Just wanted to say that I don't like this kind of jokes. Beta versions are not always stable, and should not be used by anyone who aren't afraid of crashes.

These beta versions should also not be used by architects if they want their holds to be published. The Hold Administrators are using the latest stable version anyway, which is currently still 3.1.X, and will not consider any holds made in later versions.

03-08-2008 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
You can't push the mirrors with the lasers anymore. The currently uploaded version can't be solved. (I think.) If this is not true please tell me how this works now. I could solve the old one!
03-08-2008 at 06:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
Someone Else, this is a great example of a weapon-based RPG, and I don't want to put you down, but I think the reason why some people left the forums is because there are no more challenging puzzle rooms or efficiency rooms or whatever, if you make this hold, and that goes to everyone who's taking advantage of scripting, put some challenging puzzles like in MetDRoiD Echoes, story and good scripting, but challenging puzzles. Everyone remember Veere's dungeon? I loved that hold. But RPG 3.0, I love RPG's, but not in DRoD. If you've played my creation, I try to implement puzzles while keeping a small RPG feel.
03-08-2008 at 10:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
vinheim wrote:
there are no more challenging puzzle rooms or efficiency rooms or whatever

I believe that anyone who left did so for their own reasons, unrelated to DROD projects started by other people. And in my opinion, people have made challenging puzzle rooms and challenging efficiency rooms. But I digress.

Not having seen this hold, I can't comment on the quality of its implementation, but I really like the different ways people are implementing RPGs, and certainly think that exchanging ideas in this way is a good idea. :)

03-09-2008 at 12:11 AM
vinheim
Your right, Chaco, but I meant that the RPG elements should not be overused. In MetDRoiD echoes, the element there is the items like the statue key and the invisibility essence, but there were very challenging rooms there. In fact, I had trouble in many of those puzzle rooms.

Also, the people leaving, I based on their emails, I have been in the forums for over 2 years now, though I may seem new and I asked why they left. Some said it got boring, but they don't know why and some said their real life has no time whilst they're working. :)

-Vinheim
03-09-2008 at 12:54 AM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190

File: sprites.zip (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Here's laser/missile sprites.

03-09-2008 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Yes, I'm planning to make this have as many DROD like puzzles as I can, and make it as challenging as possible. I definitely agree that it's not good to have too many holds of this style, and I will most likely work on other holds at various points during the production of this hold. Mostly I will build it whenever I have an idea for it, but not force it. I very much appreciate someone saying something against building RPGs, as it is refreshing to see a different perspective. Thank you, vinheim.

Will be updated sometime later tonight, or tomorrow.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-09-2008 10:27 PM]
03-09-2008 at 06:12 PM
Someone Else

File: The Demo.hold (124.2 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Okay, here is the new version. Mines don't work in the first room, and they don't have all the options in the rest of the rooms, but other than that it should be good. I'm working on those problems.
03-10-2008 at 08:34 AM
vinheim
Someone Else wrote:
Yes, I'm planning to make this have as many DROD like puzzles as I can, and make it as challenging as possible. I definitely agree that it's not good to have too many holds of this style, and I will most likely work on other holds at various points during the production of this hold. Mostly I will build it whenever I have an idea for it, but not force it. I very much appreciate someone saying something against building RPGs, as it is refreshing to see a different perspective. Thank you, vinheim.

Will be updated sometime later tonight, or tomorrow.

Thanks Someone Else, looking forward to this.
03-10-2008 at 10:31 AM
vinheim
Comments:
I liked the first room. I kept getting killed until my sister told me just to say behind the scrolls. I felt stupid then.
The oremites room got me confused, until I realised the briars cant touch me.
I prefer the wraithwing lasers, its more drod-like, but its your choice if you want laser-lasers instead of wraithwing-lasers.
In the oremites room, dont move and lay a bomb, see what happens.
I love the idea of a bomb, btw, its fun to lay a bomb, shoot a fegundo into it and watch it destroy roaches.
Could you make the roaches have imperative required and put a green door (and kill a brain that would originally make the room red after killing all roaches)
03-10-2008 at 10:59 AM
Someone Else
Hmm... I thought that I got rid of the bomb bug. Well, in investigating it, I fixed another one, where if you place a bomb in the first room (quite buggy, but sometimes works) it places it at the start of every room you enter. Okay, I fixed that bug as well. It came from trying to place a bomb on a scroll, so I removed the scrolls and replaced them with speech.
03-10-2008 at 06:11 PM
Someone Else

File: The Demo.hold (126.4 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Mines are now upgraded! They appear upgraded in every room. New version here and at the first post.
03-10-2008 at 06:28 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
So far in .65 I haven't worked out how to kill anything.

I've also hit an infinite loop:
N 4 times
NE once
SE once
N once

Switch clone and go N
03-14-2008 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A more technologically advanced RPG
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com