Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Checkpoint bug testing
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged

File: checkpoint testing.hold (521 bytes)
Downloaded 93 times.
License: Other
icon Checkpoint bug testing (0)  
Preliminary findings:

So far I've been setting up situations where on my first move I cross a checkpoint, killing a wraithwing or killing nothing. Through testing, tileset is irrelevant.

In this situation, independant of whether I wait for the Beethro spawning particle effect to finish, on ALTERNATE TRIALS the checkpoint fails to trigger. Also, moving from one checkpoint directly to another checkpoint causes the second one to fail, continuing for all subsequent consecutive checkpoints. Thus far, I haven't been able to otherwise reproduce the checkpoint failing on not the first move, but I'm only five minutes in to testing :)

If anyone else can reliably reproduce the bug, post in this thread how you do it, so our friendly neighbourhood codemonkeys can patch the problem. I've attached my test hold, with anyone edit enabled.

[Edited by DiMono on 01-04-2004 at 05:08 AM GMT: Forgot to make the hold anyone edit. It is now]

01-04-2004 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Checkpoint bug testing (0)  
I can't test right now, so does it work the same way in the editor?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-04-2004 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Yes, the behaviour is consistent between the editor and the main game.

01-04-2004 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
This happened to me once, and I put it in the Bugs forum, but that was a long time now. I was testing in the real game for Deep Hold level 7, and I'm not sure of the coordinates, but it was the one with open door squares instead of normal floor (and some serpents). Maybe try that one too.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-04-2004 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Avon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 47
DiMono wrote:

So far I've been setting up situations where on my first move I cross a checkpoint, killing a wraithwing or killing nothing. Through testing, tileset is irrelevant.

In this situation, independant of whether I wait for the Beethro spawning particle effect to finish, on ALTERNATE TRIALS the checkpoint fails to trigger. Also, moving from one checkpoint directly to another checkpoint causes the second one to fail, continuing for all subsequent consecutive checkpoints.

It seems to me that the code is somthing like:

if (Beethro is on a checkpoint after move && Beethro was not on a checkpoint before move)
        create save;

It is presumably like this so that if you wait on a checkpoint it doesn't save every turn.

It also appears that if Beethro is on a checkpoint and you press 'R' until you are sent back to the start of the room, the game still believes Beethro is on a checkpoint so it doesn't save if he moves directly onto a checkpoint. This could be causing the failure of checkpoints on alternate trials.

01-04-2004 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Avon wrote:
DiMono wrote:

In this situation, independant of whether I wait for the Beethro spawning particle effect to finish, on ALTERNATE TRIALS the checkpoint fails to trigger. Also, moving from one checkpoint directly to another checkpoint causes the second one to fail, continuing for all subsequent consecutive checkpoints.

if (Beethro is on a checkpoint after move && Beethro was not on a checkpoint before move)
        create save;

It is presumably like this so that if you wait on a checkpoint it doesn't save every turn.

It also appears that if Beethro is on a checkpoint and you press 'R' until you are sent back to the start of the room, the game still believes Beethro is on a checkpoint so it doesn't save if he moves directly onto a checkpoint. This could be causing the failure of checkpoints on alternate trials.

Just had a look again. You're right Avon - if you are on a checkpoint and reset to the start of the room, the game still thinks you are on a checkpoint and will not activate the next one you step on. Only after you have stepped off and onto one does the game become sensitive to stepping on a checkpoint. Well observed!

01-05-2004 at 05:41 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Avon wrote:

create save;

You nailed it buddy! This is certainly fixed for 1.7, the jury is still out on whether or not it will be included in the next 1.6 patch.

01-05-2004 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Schik wrote:
This is certainly fixed for 1.7, the jury is still out on whether or not it will be included in the next 1.6 patch.
I vote XOR.

01-05-2004 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
trick wrote:
Schik wrote:
This is certainly fixed for 1.7, the jury is still out on whether or not it will be included in the next 1.6 patch.
I vote XOR.
We had enough of this in the Puzzle Tag thread... :D

I've noticed something similar with moving from one scroll directly to another when a room change is involved. I noticed it when playing the NewbieTown hold, where there's a scroll at the East border of the room, then if you move East to the next room, and there's a scroll there, it still shows the text from the previous scroll.

01-06-2004 at 03:01 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Does this happen for every direction, though, or just East?

Matt

01-06-2004 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono

File: scroll testing.hold (998 bytes)
Downloaded 92 times.
License: Other
Just tested using the attached hold. This works (fails? occurs) in all directions when switching between rooms, but not for two scrolls within the same room (as evidenced by Once North)

01-07-2004 at 12:51 AM
DiMono
Sorry to resurrect an old bug thread, but I have an update for the most recent topic of this one (it should probably be split off to its own thread, but I don't have that power... hint hint).

If you enter a room and:

1) you were on a scroll in the room you're leaving, and you're moving on to a scroll in the room you're entering, the old scroll's text is still displayed

2) you were not on a scroll, but now you are, no scroll is displayed. It's not that the scroll appears blank, you're simply not recognized as being on a scroll. There's nothing in that part of the screen

3) you were on a scroll, but now you're not, no scroll is displayed (hint: this is correct :) )

01-21-2004 at 04:05 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
Sorry to resurrect an old bug thread, but I have an update for the most recent topic of this one (it should probably be split off to its own thread, but I don't have that power... hint hint).
Are we getting a little too hungry for power, DiMono?

01-21-2004 at 10:41 PM
DiMono
agaricus5 wrote:
DiMono wrote:
Are we getting a little too hungry for power, DiMono?
Actually I was suggesting that some moderator split the post, since I can't. Not that I'd complain, of course...

01-22-2004 at 11:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Checkpoint bug testing
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com