Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Heartily sick of level 8
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
IP: Logged
icon Heartily sick of level 8 (0)  
Today I finally cleared 2S 2E, thinking I was done with level 8. Then I walked out of the room and the "level exit" failed to come up. It turns out that there's an other room at 2S 3E. Which you can only get to through 3S 3E. And only if you haven't killed the tar mother in that room. Which I did. A long time ago. Oops.
Here's the list of rooms I'll have to redo if I restore to before I killed that tar mother: 2S 2E, 3S 1W, 3S 1E, 3S 3E, 4S, 4S 2E, 4S 3E, 6S 3E and 7S 3E. Quite unsurprisingly, the thought of having to do all these frustrating rooms again does not inspire sublime joy within me. Is there any way to get around this? Please tell me there is.

01-02-2004 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Heartily sick of level 8 (0)  
Uhhh...

I hate to have to tell you this...

So someone else gets to do it.

Matt

01-02-2004 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
You can always use the level jump a level 4 (or does it go up that far?) Or you could get someone to send you a complete version of DROD then restore to there. Other than that, you will have to play everything again, as far as I know.

This happened to me too, and I didn't like it.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-02-2004 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
masonjason wrote:
Today I finally cleared 2S 2E, thinking I was done with level 8. Then I walked out of the room and the "level exit" failed to come up. It turns out that there's an other room at 2S 3E. Which you can only get to through 3S 3E. And only if you haven't killed the tar mother in that room. Which I did. A long time ago. Oops.
Here's the list of rooms I'll have to redo if I restore to before I killed that tar mother: 2S 2E, 3S 1W, 3S 1E, 3S 3E, 4S, 4S 2E, 4S 3E, 6S 3E and 7S 3E. Quite unsurprisingly, the thought of having to do all these frustrating rooms again does not inspire sublime joy within me. Is there any way to get around this? Please tell me there is.
Unfortunately, there isn't.

The problem is that this was an accident by the designers of the room, making some of the rooms unreachable after you completed them. This room was the only one that was not fixed, so although there is a warning scroll there, you can make 2S 3E unreachable if you were not careful about going into it after you completed 3S 3E.

The only way to do it by yourself is to just play all the rooms over again. The other solution is to ask someone to play all the levels and rooms up to Level 8 for you under a different player so you don't have to, then export the file and give it to you, or more unlikely, but still possible, is that someone may share their player file with you, but this may mean that you may be able to view that player's holds in the future, so people may not want to do this.

If you don't feel like doing the rooms again, ask if someone could make a new player file with progress up to the start of level 9 for you or share their own player file with you. If I have time later, I may do it for you, but it's not a definite, I'm afraid.

Sorry for your misfortune, but continue DRODing anyway!

01-02-2004 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Well, thanks anyway.

01-02-2004 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
squeekie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 140
Yeah, unfortunately this happens to the most unpleasant level in DROD.

01-03-2004 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
squeekie wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately this happens to the most unpleasant level in DROD.

Hmmm.....I say level 24 (esp. Tar City) or level 15. It's pretty much given that everyone hates tar though. I'm going to set up a poll on the unpleasantness factor.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 01-03-2004 at 11:43 PM GMT]

01-03-2004 at 11:41 PM
Mattcrampy
Hey, I could play up to level 8 and do the rooms you've done, then export the player for you.

Or someone else could do it, if they wanted.

Matt

01-03-2004 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Mattcrampy wrote:
Hey, I could play up to level 8 and do the rooms you've done, then export the player for you.

Matt
Exactly what I said.

01-03-2004 at 11:53 PM
Mattcrampy
agaricus5 wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:

Matt
Exactly what I said.

However, you said you might not have time, whereas I've got time but someone else might want to do it instead. Of course, I should have said that.

Gawd, I'm getting sloppy. I'm going to have to be more careful. It's too hot, is what it is.

Matt

01-04-2004 at 12:56 AM
Skylancer64
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
Odd. The tar rooms in level 24 never gave me much trouble. I did it in a few tries, with only a few chance deaths when the tar expanded. In my opinion, it was very easy compared to all I've heard about it. Maybe I'm lucky. All I'll say about the worst room/level for me personally is "eight mimics". Ugh. :(

[Edited by Skylancer64 on 01-04-2004 at 12:58 AM GMT]

01-04-2004 at 12:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I was meaning to replay Dugan's from the start again anyway, and right now I'm two wings through level 6. If nobody's done it by then, I'll export after I clear level 8 for you.

01-04-2004 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Skylancer64 wrote:
Odd. The tar rooms in level 24 never gave me much trouble. I did it in a few tries, with only a few chance deaths when the tar expanded.

:( Lucky.....

I spent *hours* on them.

01-04-2004 at 05:04 AM
DiMono

File: Test Player.player (61.2 KB)
Downloaded 85 times.
License: Other
Alright dude, here's my player at the end of level 8... basically. I've left you the joy of the 3 Tar Mother room to relive, because it's late and I want to go to sleep. Every other room on the level is here and done. Feel free, of course, to rename the player to whatever you want.

01-04-2004 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Thanks much, but it's unnecessary now....I've done it all again myself and I'm on level 9. Which is a very interesting floor, it seems.

01-04-2004 at 11:08 AM
agaricus5
Indeed.

Use your charismatic skills carefully. :)

01-04-2004 at 11:10 AM
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
And for the future, you will need alot of time to do level 13. Trust me.

Good luck for the rest.
01-09-2004 at 01:07 AM
The_Red_Hawk
For level 13, I think your time is better spent just going to the help area and getting the directions (I did eventually). Still, if you want to try it, there's nothing wrong with that.

01-09-2004 at 02:12 AM
DiMono
You don't need directions, you just need to be observant. Odds are left hand rule won't apply, so find the spot that breaks it, and adapt your method. The whole level took me less than an hour the first time I played it.

01-09-2004 at 03:13 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Weird... it took me days.....

01-09-2004 at 06:49 PM
masonjason
I'm on level 16 now (I did levels 13 and 14, but skipped some of level 15), and I found level 13 fairly easy. What I did was look at where I wanted to go on the restore map and track a path back to a place I knew I could get to.

01-10-2004 at 11:34 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Heartily sick of level 8
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com