Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.2 TCB Patch (Build 83 (Windows))
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch (+1)  
Those are nice ideas. I like them and will work on adding them.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-02-2008 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch (0)  
For me, the being able to click on either map to change room is fine, it's the closing/opening/changing of the map using very similar methods that is confusing.
If you had to right-click or click on a x or something to close the map after you had opened it, it'd be fine.
Some kind of highlighting on the maps showing which room is currently in view would be nice too..
05-02-2008 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302

mrimer wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
The new Minimap click to zoom thing (room select screen) is cool, but it's a bit unintuitive. Hitting F6, ideally, should bring up the demo menu for that room, rather than taking you to the room select screen.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a bit confused by your terminology, though, and need some clarification. When you say "room select screen", do you mean the pop-up map of the level?
Yeah
Would you elaborate on what you're saying about F6?
What Briareos said. It'd be very convenient

Can I also request a slight visual change when you have this room select screen open? Like the background (as well as the rooms viewed) turning a slight tinge of gray?

Also, if the movement keys and turn keys took you straight back to the player controlled character would be nice, to avoid the 'trapped' feeling. After all, you're not going to use then except to move your character. Unless, of course, you used the movement keys to navigate from room to room, without the need to go back the the room select screen.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-02-2008 06:59 PM]
05-02-2008 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Rank Points: 224
Attempting to view any room containing a master door, using the mini map, results in a crash.
I think this bug may have been in all builds of 3.2, and is still present in build 78.
05-03-2008 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Ok, checked out the new minimap popup.

1. When hitting F6, it still jumps back a step as well as opening up the demo viewer. This means you could be mistaken for thinking that you opened up the demo screen on another room. If the jumping back a step thing can't be removed, perhaps a 'loading demos for (insert level and coordinates here)' dialog should popup.

2. If you select a room to view via the mini map, and then try to select another room to view via the mini map, it instead jumps back a step.

3. In the minimap popup, it might be more intuitive to have the room currently under the mouse to have a highlighted boarder.

4. Rightclick doesn't work. Minor, but it might be convenient in some cases.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-04-2008 12:52 AM]
05-03-2008 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
1. When hitting F6, it still jumps back a step as well as opening up the demo viewer.
Errr... what do you mean by "it jumps back a step"? *wonders*

np: Lyrics Born - Whispers (ft. C-Holiday) (Everywhere At Once)

05-04-2008 at 10:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Briareos wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
1. When hitting F6, it still jumps back a step as well as opening up the demo viewer.
Errr... what do you mean by "it jumps back a step"? *wonders*

np: Lyrics Born - Whispers (ft. C-Holiday) (Everywhere At Once)
I mean that it moves back to the minimap popup, or the room which your player is.
05-04-2008 at 10:27 AM
mrimer
Moo wrote:
Attempting to view any room containing a master door, using the mini map, results in a crash.
I think this bug may have been in all builds of 3.2, and is still present in build 78.
Yes, I think this crash was always there. I've fixed it in build 79.

NiroZ, thanks for the suggestions on improving the interface. I think those are things we might add in the future, but I don't want to spend more time tweaking it right now. At this point, I just want to get 3.2 out the door. We can streamline UI in a future patch.

05-04-2008 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
It looks like we're probably not going to see any new bug reports for 3.2 before it becomes official, so I will plan to post build 80 as the official 3.2 release sometime within the next 24-48 hours unless someone raises a red flag before then.

Thank you, everyone, who helped test and report bugs on the many 3.2 beta builds. With your help, TCB is finally ready to go gold! Give yourselves a pat on the back. :)

05-06-2008 at 08:55 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
It's a good thing you didn't ask us to give you a pat on the back. With so many heartfelt pats on the back now that 3.2 is gonna release, I suspect you'd be injured :)

Does this mean, that with the CD imprints of TCB... that TCB is going to start being promoted more fully?

05-06-2008 at 11:31 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I think what calamarain really is getting at is: Can we finally expect to see some life breathed into the community - to see it grow like a living thing, not die down like a... dying thing?

05-07-2008 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Jatopian wrote:
I think what calamarain really is getting at is: Can we finally expect to see some life breathed into the community - to see it grow like a living thing, not die down like a... dying thing?
Hmm...well, I'm not sure what kind of life you're asking for. I'm doing my best fixing bugs and working on Caravel's upcoming titles. I don't mean to be defensive here -- I guess I'm just curious what you expect to see Caravel doing more of.

05-07-2008 at 12:59 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Don't think I'll be able to confirm everything, but I've played around with a few random things. I did notice that these are still left outstanding:

mrimer wrote:
! Now Shift-clicking monsters in the room editor reorients them (without changing their order in the monster list). Now dragging an NPC doesn't reorient it.
+ Now holding <Alt> in the room editor displays the in-game appearance of NPCs.

Dragging an NPC reorients it, but Shift-clicking is working. Also, the <Alt> showing in-game appearances works rather well, but it'd be nice if it worked for characters using Custom Tiles too.

Other issues with <Alt>:
* Doesn't work with newly placed characters until the character is edited, the room is saved, or the room is playtested.
* After releasing <Alt>, the swords of NPC characters are left on the screen.

Not seeing any new problems though. Could we have a source code release when 3.2 goes official, too?

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 05-07-2008 01:08 AM]
05-07-2008 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
mrimer wrote:
I don't mean to be defensive here -- I guess I'm just curious what you expect to see Caravel doing more of.
You're not the person to ask, I think, but Erik doesn't seem to be around... I don't mean to accuse, although I can see where that comes from. I was getting at the desire for new blood and revitalization, which I believe underlies calamarain's (and the community's) question. You see, TCB never got the big push that JtRH did, for better or worse.

05-07-2008 at 01:19 AM
mrimer
Yes, Erik is busy, but we don't have to let that stop us. What specifically are you waiting for Erik to work on? It's probably something I can handle in the meanwhile.

Caravel is always interested in receiving infusions of new blood. If I understand correctly what you're referring to, i.e., having more people around to help get things done, then that's largely up to the community at large. If community members would like to contribute particular talents to Caravel's upcoming projects, then we'd most likely welcome you. It's gotta be a more specific contribution than just "Let me know if you need someone to play the game" or "Why haven't you upgraded JtRH to 3.x yet? Get a move on!" For instance, people who can provide new visuals, work on story, code stuff, help prepare new CaravelNet-related projects, etc., in a timely manner are needed. If you have specific thoughts or think you can contribute in these areas, let's talk some more.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-07-2008 01:45 AM]
05-07-2008 at 01:44 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I'm not entirely sure that these are what's needed. We have a thriving community, people working on all aspects of it. We have contests, we have forum games, we have a steady outflow of new holds, we have injokes, we have trivia, we have a very competent set of developers...

...but how are we attracting new people to play DROD? I think that's the core of the problem, we simply are not attracting enough new people to the community. I think the publication of TCB as a CD will help, but there has to be more things to do. Are there any sites that we could potentially get press releases on? Some of the more popular sites - slashdot, boingboing, metafilter. I've tried as much as I can, promoting DROD on my webcomic, in all my IRC channels, and to friends, but I don't have the contacts/pull to get publicity anywhere more significant.

Is there anyone on the forum who does, and is willing to use it for our sake?

More ideas for getting DROD more noticed and popular would be very welcome.

[Last edited by calamarain at 05-07-2008 01:55 AM]
05-07-2008 at 01:54 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Can't we just make use of the frog spammer? Or is it still too early in development?

Who cares if it's in an early build? It's never too soon to start building your botnet, I say.

05-07-2008 at 02:11 AM
Vike91
Rank Points: 230
Has the "Set Appearance" command worked well?

I requested it.

05-09-2008 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Vike91 wrote:
Has the "Set Appearance" command worked well?

I requested it.
You and everyone else.
05-11-2008 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Alright, you've proven that he wasn't the only one to request it.

Can you answer the question, though?
05-11-2008 at 12:02 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I don't understand the question. "Worked well" in what sense?
05-11-2008 at 03:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I assume, like, 'hey, it actually changes appearance, doesn't do weird crap, isn't totally bugged, I think I have a use for this in a hold', etc, cool stuff like that.
05-11-2008 at 09:15 PM
Vike91
Yes, i mean, how is it worked?

Properly? Inproperly?

Goodly? Badly?

05-12-2008 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Vike91 wrote:
Yes, i mean, how is it worked?

Properly? Inproperly?

Goodly? Badly?
I can't find your request anywhere in the forum. So how is anyone supposed to test it? Can you supply a link please?

Or can you tell us how it is supposed to work? Preferably in a different thread.

05-12-2008 at 02:49 PM
Vike91
Tim, http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=19967

05-12-2008 at 02:52 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Thanks. I was looking for the word "Appearence". Of course I couldn't find any. :)

Will check this later today after some other TCB testing that is still on my list.

05-12-2008 at 02:58 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
It works very well indeed.
05-12-2008 at 07:25 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.2 TCB Patch (Build 83 (Windows))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com