Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.2 TCB Patch (Build 83 (Windows))
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon 3.2.0.60 TCB Patch (0)  
I've posted 3.2 build 60 to the first post. I think that takes care of everything unambiguously considered a bug at this point. This is everything I'm planning to fix for this patch version, so I'm labelling this build a 3.2 release candidate. Woo! :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-01-2008 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch (0)  
Congrats! :)
03-01-2008 at 07:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Posted build 61.

It should fix bad undos involving NPC questions. Would you guys stress-test the rooms you've been playing to verify there are no longer any problems with undo?

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-02-2008 06:46 PM]
03-02-2008 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
Hmmm... Had to download the patch 3 times, as the first 2 attempts came up with "File corrupted". This happened for a prior patch too so might be an issue with the site download mechanism or my FF.

Anyone else seeing that?
03-06-2008 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon 3.2 TCB Beta Patch 63 (0)  
I've uploaded build 63 to first post. It features some more bug fixes, mostly minor or cosmetic.

03-08-2008 at 07:20 PM
mrimer
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch 64 (0)  
I've uploaded build 64. It has just one minor fix. Everything seems good, so I'll call this one RC2.

03-10-2008 at 01:12 AM
mrimer
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch 65 (0)  
Fixed that hold export bug that must have popped up in build 63. Build 65!

03-10-2008 at 04:25 AM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Importing updated holds into build 65, I get a few beeps and the following errors in my drod.err:

Assertion error in line 550 of .\DbSavedGames.cpp: "*iter"

[EDIT: Some of these saves may have been created in 3.2, but some were with 3.1 or earlier.]

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 03-11-2008 04:20 PM]
03-11-2008 at 04:19 PM
mrimer
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Build 66 Patch (0)  
I've posted build 66. Please note that besides some bug fixes, I've updated three third-party libs that are statically built into the executable for better speed and some bug and security fixes:

libpng 1.2.25 --> libpng 1.2.25
Metakit 2.4.9.5 --> Metakit 2.4.9.7
lib-theora 1.0alpha7 --> lib-theora 1.0beta2

I also built these libs in VS 2005 (SP1) instead of VS 6.0. This required upgrading the two msvc*80.dll files used by the game to version 8.0.50727.762. I'm including these .DLLs in the patch from build 66 on. I've used Dependency Walker to verify that DROD.exe should have everything it needs to run properly, but if DROD won't start after installing this patch, just let me know what the error is and I should be able to fix it fairly quickly.

03-18-2008 at 03:55 PM
mrimer
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Build 67 Patch (0)  
I've posted build 67.

It contains a fix involving rock golems and a change to the room style loading that speeds up style changes in general. Would you verify that switching between room styles still has everything looking the way it should for various style-dependent room elements?

03-20-2008 at 02:47 PM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch (+1)  
Wow. You got it up to build 69 and 70.

Honestly, I've never seen so much progress in so few months. Really, really good work mrimer!

03-21-2008 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch (+2)  
Mr. Slice wrote:
Wow. You got it up to build 69 and 70.

Honestly, I've never seen so much progress in so few months. Really, really good work mrimer!
Thanks for the encouragement. With JtRH patches, there used to be just one big patch every few months instead of several incremental builds with up-to-date changes getting ready for one official major patch. This way seems to work a lot better than the old way, it seems to me, because for 2.0 patches, people used to post a lot of bug reports just after each new patch was released. Consequently, they had to wait a few months before the next patch came out before they saw a fix for their bug reports. This way has much quicker turnaround.

03-21-2008 at 04:04 AM
Syntax
Hence agile development :) Good call.
03-27-2008 at 06:17 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Release early, release often.

If only Linux patches worked the same way ;)
04-02-2008 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 230
I downloaded the patch to laptop DROD, but after patching that doesn't work anymore and i can't get the old version back in it.

When running, the cage does appear, but then there comes the popup: (RedX)

Nothing else pops up, and when i close it, the program closes.

What i have to do?

[Last edited by Vike91 at 04-07-2008 03:16 PM]
04-07-2008 at 03:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Vike91
Really, Help, Please.

04-09-2008 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Vike91 wrote:
Really, Help, Please.
Sorry, I have no idea what the problem could be. What was the build you were using before you installed build 74? I can re-post it here and you can reinstall it.

Edit: Laptop or desktop configuration shouldn't matter.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-09-2008 07:02 PM]
04-09-2008 at 07:02 PM
Vike91
mrimer wrote:
Vike91 wrote:
Really, Help, Please.
Sorry, I have no idea what the problem could be. What was the build you were using before you installed build 74? I can re-post it here and you can reinstall it.

Edit: Laptop or desktop configuration shouldn't matter.

I got it back using backup.

04-09-2008 at 09:06 PM
Syntax
So it's all fixed?

[EDIT]

Oh wait... If it's in backup, just fetch it again and not install any patches...

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-11-2008 12:10 PM]
04-11-2008 at 12:09 PM
Vike91
Syntax wrote:
So it's all fixed?

[EDIT]

Oh wait... If it's in backup, just fetch it again and not install any patches...

Don't worry, it's all fixed, same progress before patching.

04-13-2008 at 03:48 PM
Vike91
It is patched without problems, succesfylly. There didn't appear the previous problem.

04-15-2008 at 03:58 PM
mrimer
Vike91 wrote:
It is patched without problems, succesfylly. There didn't appear the previous problem.
That's good news! I'm glad to hear it.

04-15-2008 at 03:58 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
mrimer wrote:
Build 56:
+ Minimap: Now clicking on the minimap brings up a scrollable level map. Clicking on explored mini-rooms shows their current state.
I guess their current state means that you can see if the room is conquered or not, can you also see if a room is required/unrequired/secret? If not, it might be a good thing to add. If a room has no normal floor squares you can't see if it's required or unrequired.

04-19-2008 at 06:06 PM
Syntax
Rheb wrote:
If a room has no normal floor squares you can't see if it's required or unrequired.
I second that... I struggle to tell if certain rooms are indeed required or not.
04-20-2008 at 07:10 AM
mrimer
That's a nice idea for room viewing. I'm not going to add it until after 3.2 is released to avoid the possibility of introducing new bugs, but then it can be featured in a patch.

Build 75 is released. This is a RC and will be printed on the TCB CDs unless new bugs are exposed in the next week or so.

05-01-2008 at 07:02 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
High five!

05-01-2008 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
The new Minimap click to zoom thing (room select screen) is cool, but it's a bit unintuitive. Hitting F6, ideally, should bring up the demo menu for that room, rather than taking you to the room select screen.

Speaking of which, I think the room select screen should only be returned to when you brought it up in the first place, and that it should shrink to be the smallest possible rectangle or square. And if you click on the brown area, it closes the room select screen.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-02-2008 07:59 AM]
05-02-2008 at 07:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Moo
Rank Points: 224
Indeed.. being able to click on the small map and the zoomed in map to both close and change room is confusing..
Would be better if the click-on-the-map-at-the-bottom-left only opened and closed the bigger map, and clicks on the bigger map only chose rooms to view, or something like that..
05-02-2008 at 12:40 PM
mrimer
NiroZ wrote:
The new Minimap click to zoom thing (room select screen) is cool, but it's a bit unintuitive. Hitting F6, ideally, should bring up the demo menu for that room, rather than taking you to the room select screen.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a bit confused by your terminology, though, and need some clarification. When you say "room select screen", do you mean the pop-up map of the level? Would you elaborate on what you're saying about F6?
Speaking of which, I think the room select screen should only be returned to when you brought it up in the first place,
So...you mean that if you click on a room in the small minimap to show that room temporarily, that after dismissing that room, the view shouldn't revert to showing the pop-up level map? How should the pop-up level map appear at all then? Only by clicking on background space on the small minimap? What if there is no empty space because the entire visible area is filled with explored rooms?
and that it should shrink to be the smallest possible rectangle or square.
Mmm...nice idea. It might take a bit of work to do that, however. I'll look into it.
And if you click on the brown area, it closes the room select screen.
I agree. I've made this change.
moo wrote: Would be better if the click-on-the-map-at-the-bottom-left only opened and closed the bigger map, and clicks on the bigger map only chose rooms to view, or something like that..
Originally, I had clicking on the small minimap always brought up the level map first. But then through playtesting this feature myself and watching over peoples' shoulders I noticed people started wanting to click rooms on the minimap to see them instantly, and always bringing up the map and having to click on the room again to see it first was slow. So I streamlined that step out by just bringing up the room they click on immediately. I agree that going back to the pop-up level map after dismissing that room can be confusing, however. My issue with this is that with changed rules, there would be no way to get the level map to pop up at all if there is no visible empty space in the minimap.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-02-2008 02:23 PM]
05-02-2008 at 02:22 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
mrimer wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a bit confused by your terminology, though, and need some clarification. When you say "room select screen", do you mean the pop-up map of the level? Would you elaborate on what you're saying about F6?
My reading, and what I would also suggest, is to make F6 bring up the demo screen for the room that's currently visible, which due to the new minimap shenanigans need not be the same room Beethro currently is in. So if the player is viewing some distant room, make F6 bring up the demo screen for that room.

Originally, I had clicking on the small minimap always brought up the level map first. But then through playtesting this feature myself and watching over peoples' shoulders I noticed people started wanting to click rooms on the minimap to see them instantly, and always bringing up the map and having to click on the room again to see it first was slow. So I streamlined that step out by just bringing up the room they click on immediately. I agree that going back to the pop-up level map after dismissing that room can be confusing, however. My issue with this is that with changed rules, there would be no way to get the level map to pop up at all if there is no visible empty space in the minimap.
Errr... how about always bringing up the level map when the user clicks on the room that's in the center of the minimap? (Since the user is currently looking at that room - unless you want to give the user a way of looking at the room's starting state, that is...)

np: Justus Köhncke - Illusion (Was Ist Musik?)

05-02-2008 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.2 TCB Patch (Build 83 (Windows))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com