Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.2 TCB Patch (Build 83 (Windows))
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
IP: Logged
icon 3.2 TCB Patch (+5)  
Here are the improvements and additions(+), changes(!), and fixes(*) implemented for 3.2:

Build 83:
Click here to view the secret text

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-25-2008 08:43 PM]
02-07-2008 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: 3.1.1 TCB Patch (0)  
mrimer wrote: Build 56:
+ Minimap: Now clicking on the minimap brings up a scrollable level map. Clicking on explored mini-rooms shows their current state.

Many many thanks for adding this Mike! I'm gonna test it out right away. :)

[Last edited by slimm tom at 02-08-2008 10:00 AM]
02-08-2008 at 09:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: 3.1.1 TCB Patch (+1)  
Seems like the map isn't bug-free yet.

I was playing Smitemastery 101, the haunted maze. I cleared the Entrance, 1S, 1S 1W, 1S 1E, and 2S. When entering 2S 1W, and then going back to 2S and firing up the map window to view 2S 1W, DROD makes a beeping sound and fires an error message in the drod.err.

*** FIRST LOG IN SESSION 2/8/08 11:11AM ***
Assertion error in line 2808 of .\DbRooms.cpp: "this->wMonsterCount != 0"

When closing the map window and then trying to enter 2S 1W, results in an error message wich closes DROD.
There are no further entries in the DROD.err after the first entry which was written after clicking on the room in the map.
Also, my progress isn't saved and I need to clean 2S again.

When trying to enter 2S 1E after clicking 2S 1W in the map results in an error too. No entry in DROD.err is created either.
The same happens for 1S, which is a room I already visited and cleaned.

I hope you can use this report Mike. :)
02-08-2008 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
slimm tom wrote:
When entering 2S 1W, and then going back to 2S and firing up the map window to view 2S 1W, DROD makes a beeping sound and fires an error message in the drod.err.

When closing the map window and then trying to enter 2S 1W, results in an error message wich closes DROD.
The same thing happened to me when I tried the above, so I guess it's reproducible - oh, and restoring to 2S, conquering it and going to 2S1W and back is enough to cause this crash.

There was no assertion logged in DROD.err, however - but since it did beep I guess the text was lost when DROD crashed.

EDIT: Also, spiders are fully visible when looking at a room via the map screen - I guess that's unintended? Also, clicking on a room in the minimap in the lower left corner directly brings up the view for that room (which is nice), but then pops up the map screen (which is a bit unexpected) - could the big map perhaps only be shown if you clicked on the current room, or if you made a double click, or something like that?

Also, I went through the tutorial, but it didn't crash on any of those rooms if I left them unconquered and looked at them via the map...

np: Proem - Live @ KTRU 06-15-2001 (Merck Fragments)

[Last edited by Briareos at 02-08-2008 05:43 PM]
02-08-2008 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: 3.1.1 TCB Patch (+2)  
It's come to my attention that my bomb code is buggy ;_;

The problem is occurring with regards to doors again, but this time, it's to do with what squares should already be blown to smithereens.

ExpandExplosion marks all squares that should be blown up, which is fine, and working perfectly.

However, ProcessExplosionSquare checks the base tile again, and prevents explosions happening where they shouldn't. But this is bad if those have toggled since we started processing the explosion.

The result is that if an explosion includes Yellow and Black Doors that were open at the start of the explosion but are closed when the explosion reaches it, the explosion on that square is cancelled.

===

I'm hoping that this fix should do the trick in DbRooms.cpp in the ProcessExplosionSquare subroutine:
	//Constraint 2. What can be destroyed by an explosion.
	switch (GetOSquare(wX,wY))
	{
		case T_FLOOR: case T_FLOOR_M: case T_FLOOR_ROAD: case T_FLOOR_GRASS:
		case T_FLOOR_DIRT: case T_FLOOR_ALT: case T_FLOOR_IMAGE:
		case T_PIT: case T_PIT_IMAGE: case T_PLATFORM_P:
		case T_WATER: case T_PLATFORM_W:
		case T_STAIRS:	case T_STAIRS_UP:
		case T_TRAPDOOR: case T_TRAPDOOR2:
		case T_TUNNEL_N: case T_TUNNEL_S: case T_TUNNEL_E: case T_TUNNEL_W:
		case T_DOOR_YO: case T_DOOR_GO: case T_DOOR_CO: case T_DOOR_RO: case T_DOOR_BO:
		case T_BRIDGE: case T_BRIDGE_H: case T_BRIDGE_V:
		case T_HOT: case T_GOO: case T_PRESSPLATE:
 			break;
 		case T_WALL_B:
 		case T_WALL_H:
 			ASSERT(bIsPlainFloor(this->coveredOSquares.GetAt(wX, wY)));
 			Plot(wX,wY,this->coveredOSquares.GetAt(wX, wY));
 			break;
		case T_DOOR_Y: case T_DOOR_M: case T_DOOR_C: case T_DOOR_R: case T_DOOR_B:
			//If we decided we should explode these squares, then they should
			//be dealt with, since they may have changed during the explosion
			break;
		default: return;
	}

(EDIT: Yes, I know that Blue Doors and Red Doors shouldn't change during an explosion, and Green Doors won't change until the end of the turn, but I thought they might as well all go in, just in case.)

This means that any call to ProcessExplosionSquare that is already *on* a door should go through. ExpandExplosion should have already blocked any possible closed doors before things got toggled.

Phoenix.cpp is unaffected, since it already uses ProcessExplosionSquare to vet out any closed doors before we get here, so we can safely remove the door check from ProcessExplosionSquare.

This does mean that any tile that can theoretically toggle between states that would block destruction would need to be added in the future, which is annoying... although we theoretically could just pull out the OSquare check in ProcessExplosionSquare for everything except dealing with breakable walls, since anything important that would stop an explosion *should* have been caught by ExpandExplosion. (But for now, we should probably leave it in until everything's stable again)

===

I've tested the fix and it seems to be working (no longer safe standing on a closing yellow door, but the Kill the Messenger room was still working fine). I'm just sorry I didn't catch this earlier.

Also, while I'm looking at this, could we have a Build 57 source once you've fixed the current bugs? There's been a lot of changes since Build 54....

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 02-14-2008 01:01 PM]
02-14-2008 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Won't this break *many* rooms where triggering a bomb which closes the door on which Beethro is standing?

Can't think of any specific rooms, but I seem to remember this being used often at least.
02-14-2008 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks, TFMurphy -- I'll include your fix. It sounds right. Does it fix the problem(s) reported for JtRH?
Syntax wrote:
Won't this break *many* rooms where triggering a bomb which closes the door on which Beethro is standing?

Can't think of any specific rooms, but I seem to remember this being used often at least.
Oy...if there's an explosion that expands outward and would strike Beethro and an orb simultaneously, except for the fact that the explosion is processed on the orb tile before Beethro's tile, thereby closing the door he's standing on... Yuck...I can't believe people would actually use that kind of design often. :thumbsdown And if I did it in my own rooms, shame on me. :P But, in any event, hasn't this type of behavior been precluded since build 54 or earlier anyway?

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-15-2008 01:29 AM]
02-15-2008 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I thought this bug was fixed before? It's definitely a bug, so it should not be allowed to continue to exist, whether it breaks things or not - see the bit about building rooms around bugs. (exception: bugs in Hex are good)
02-15-2008 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
slimm tom wrote:
Seems like the map isn't bug-free yet.

I was playing Smitemastery 101, the haunted maze. I cleared the Entrance, 1S, 1S 1W, 1S 1E, and 2S. When entering 2S 1W, and then going back to 2S and firing up the map window to view 2S 1W, DROD makes a beeping sound and fires an error message in the drod.err.

Yes, this report was helpful in reproducing and fixing the bug. The pop-up minimap-to-room display is hopefully bug-free in build 57.

02-15-2008 at 01:55 AM
TFMurphy
icon Re: 3.1.1 TCB Patch (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
Does it fix the problem(s) reported for JtRH?

Which ones? The original version of the bug from 2005? As far as I'm aware, yes, but they both presented in subtly different ways. Or is there a new bug report for JtRH I missed?

coppro wrote:
I thought this bug was fixed before?

It was - or rather, a similar bug was fixed. Um, let's see if I can summarize the history of this:

May '05: Bug found where the order an explosion develops and triggers orbs makes a big difference. Doors would block the expansion and effects of explosions or let them through, depending on their state when the explosion actually *reached* it. Fixed in version JtRH 2.0.8. I think that's the origin of the 'activations' CoordSet in the bomb exploding routine.

Jun '07: Inconsistency in Black Gate activation brought up. Fixed for TCB 3.1.0.42.

Sep '07: Bug with bomb explosions interacting with the Tar Gate change noticed. Same effect as the original bug, only that it depends on tar and black doors instead. Fixed for TCB 3.1.1.55 (it missed 3.1.0.54, unfortunately).

Feb '08: Diligent optimization found that standing on a door while it closes from a bomb blast protected the player. Reoccurrence of age old bug: while expansion was working perfectly, the explosion was rechecking each square's state when processed later. Different bug, similar effect. Fixed for (presumably) TCB 3.1.1.57.

This version of the bug cropped up because after I split the bomb explosion code into an Expansion routine (which only found out which squares should be exploded) and an Exploding routine (which dealt with all the squares after it) to more generalise the effect, I still had some safety-checking routines in the Exploding routine to stop if it shouldn't be exploding on this square.

One of the main reasons this was in place was the old effect of having an Obstacle on a Broken Wall: the wall would be destroyed, but the obstacle would protect anything else on it. However, I forgot that doors would toggle state throughout the explosion, and that really, the only thing ProcessExplosionSquare should veto are the necessary squares that don't actually explode but should still be processed as part of an explosion (like orbs and obstacles).

Anyways, with luck, that should be that until the next element that gets added that could confuse things. Hopefully, the general case stuff added will make it easier to deal with that sort of thing.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 02-15-2008 02:01 AM]
02-15-2008 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon 3.1.1.57 TCB Patch (+1)  
I've uploaded build 57. It includes the fix for the minimap room pop-up assertion failures and crashes, and also the bomb explosion logic fix from TFMurphy.

I've also included some new interface goodies (see first post).

02-15-2008 at 02:59 PM
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
Anyways, with luck, that should be that until the next element that gets added that could confuse things. Hopefully, the general case stuff added will make it easier to deal with that sort of thing.
I'm unsure about what the top switch in ProcessExplosionSquare() is accomplishing now. Is it actually used for anything any more?

02-15-2008 at 03:15 PM
TFMurphy
mrimer wrote:
I'm unsure about what the top switch in ProcessExplosionSquare() is accomplishing now. Is it actually used for anything any more?

Well, the basic function would be to process any Broken/Hidden Walls and remove them. The default case, however, is just a return... but if ExpandExplosion is doing its job and we don't use ProcessExplosionSquare without calling ExpandExplosion and there aren't any extra OSquare exceptions where ExpandExplosion might let it pass but ProcessExplosionSquare should stop it... then the default case might as well be a break instead.

And I think that all three of those conditions are currently met. The only things that call ProcessExplosionSquare are bombs exploding and Fegundos, and both use coordsets vetted by ExpandExplosion. And any OSquare that shouldn't explode simply shouldn't be expanded against in the first place. So yeah, we could just have the switch deal with the Hidden/Broken Wall check, and then replace the rest of the cases with a default break.

Anyways, good to see Build 47 released. Can we have a source code upload to go with that?
EDIT: Noticed it's uploaded now. Thanks ^_^ EDIT 2: And compiled successfully! That always makes me happy.

===

EDIT: Just had a quick play with it. Two things came up.

1) Shift-clicking NPCs works, but dragging them still changes orientation, as far as I can see.

2) The "Hold Alt to see NPC graphics" is great. However, if the NPC has a sword and is visible, the sword will not be visible when you first view a room. You must press Alt to make the sword appear (it'll appear when Alt is held, and stay when Alt is released). In 3.1.0, swords held by NPCs were visible as soon as you moved to the room. These were treated as standard swords - for example, you couldn't place monsters on them.

Also, in both builds, swords would not appear (and Alt will not work in Build 57) for new NPCs: the NPC must be saved by - for example - leaving the room or exiting the editor. Not sure on the logistics of that.

EDIT: Oh, and custom characters are displayed as their base graphic right now. Would be nice if they were displayed as they were in game, especially when you're trying to line up more complicated arrangements of custom characters.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 02-15-2008 06:57 PM]
02-15-2008 at 03:44 PM
Briareos
Just a minor nit - build 57 actually calls itself 56 in the main menu... :)

Also, while I'm on a roll - changing the filter in the "Change location" screen locks the hold list until (I guess) the hold completion calculation is finished; wouldn't it make more sense to just cancel it when the filter changes, followed by resuming it after the filter has been applied?

np: Ylid - Singing Hello Featuring Francois (Intelligent Toys 4)

02-15-2008 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Beethro's Brain - Dreams and Nightmares - 1W

My demo is now broken with the latest patch. I can't work out which change caused this... ? I don't do anything special so it worries me that maybe a lot of demos are broken for similar reasons.

I also find the use of the minimap counter-intuitive. Maybe the overlay should only open if it's double-clicked? The first click doesn't bring up the overlay, but subsequent ones do.
02-20-2008 at 09:48 PM
mrimer
Syntax wrote:
Beethro's Brain - Dreams and Nightmares - 1W

My demo is now broken with the latest patch. I can't work out which change caused this... ? I don't do anything special so it worries me that maybe a lot of demos are broken for similar reasons.

I also find the use of the minimap counter-intuitive. Maybe the overlay should only open if it's double-clicked? The first click doesn't bring up the overlay, but subsequent ones do.
Hey, Syntax...you haven't experienced any more double-chats in 3.1.1, have you?

02-20-2008 at 10:19 PM
Syntax
mrimer wrote:
Hey, Syntax...you haven't experienced any more double-chats in 3.1.1, have you?
Heyup. I haven't really been playing much recently but haven't noticed any issues regarding double chats thus far. My only observation is that Alt-tab away and back seems to stop in-game messages appearing until I bring up the chat history. I haven't fully tested this though, but when I do I'll let you know :)

Hopefully it's all fixed. I'd like to thank fellow players who supported me through those hard times when I really thought I had lost the plot ;)
02-21-2008 at 12:48 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
A really minor thing, but even after installing .57 It still says I use .56, yet all stuff from 57 works.
Also, it deeply hurts my heart, but I must say the problem with slayers not appearing on room edges still preserves, as explained Here -_-.

02-23-2008 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
skell wrote:
A really minor thing, but even after installing .57 It still says I use .56, yet all stuff from 57 works.
*cough*

Way ahead of you there... :P

np: Klimek - The Ice Storm (Pop Ambient 2008)

02-23-2008 at 07:17 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Briareos wrote:
skell wrote:
*cough*

Point to you, which still doesn't fix the other problem :).

02-23-2008 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
deftriver wrote:
It tells me that the required directory isn't present. What does that mean?
Which OS? The DROD installer looks in the registry or equivalent to find where the previous install was made. If you've moved DROD, you'll probably have to specify the exact path during upgrade.

I'm guessing it's similar on Linux/Mac.
02-26-2008 at 03:58 AM
mrimer
icon 3.1.1.58 TCB Patch (0)  
3.1.1 build 58 is out. Read first post for the yummy list of changes and fixes.

02-29-2008 at 01:28 AM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
The change graphic command is coded? HURRY UP AND DOWNLOAD YOU SLOW COMPUTER!!! :lol Thanks a lot mrimer. :D :D :D :thumbsup :yay.
02-29-2008 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Neathro wrote:
The change graphic command is coded? HURRY UP AND DOWNLOAD YOU SLOW COMPUTER!!! :lol Thanks a lot mrimer. :D :D :D :thumbsup :yay.
Yes, it is, but this morning I realized I was premature in uploading build 58 -- exported holds that include this new scripting functionality will not work for players with previous builds, but I didn't update the game's hold versioning to check for that. In order to prevent mass confusion, I must rename version 3.1.1.x to 3.2 and forbid importing holds exported from 3.2 into 3.1 or earlier. I've taken build 58 down for now, but will upload a new build (called 3.2) with the proper import/export guards in place. For now, anyone with build 55-58, please do not export any holds that you've made that use the new script command options.

That means there will be no official 3.1.1 release. It will be called 3.2. Sorry for the inconvenience and potential confusion.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-04-2008 08:35 PM]
02-29-2008 at 04:37 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
mrimer wrote:
For now, anyone with build 58, please do not export any holds that you've made that use the new script command.

The first post in this threads says we shouldn't export any holds made in build 58... but only gives this new script command as reason. Should we or should we not export holds made in build 58 which don't use this new command?
02-29-2008 at 04:48 PM
mrimer
Dex Stewart wrote:
mrimer wrote:
For now, anyone with build 58, please do not export any holds that you've made that use the new script command.

The first post in this threads says we shouldn't export any holds made in build 58... but only gives this new script command as reason. Should we or should we not export holds made in build 58 which don't use this new command?
Well...it's best not to export any holds, but you might be able to get away with it. Here are the other factors involved: there are several gameplay logic fixes in 3.1.1 that don't match up with the buggy logic in 3.1.0. Because of this, holds exported from any build of 3.1.1, actually, might not work correctly in 3.1.0. But especially if you include the new "Set Appearance" script command or "Self" speaker type in your hold. Confusion due to logic bugs for players running an older version makes myself and those players sad, and it creates mounds of paperwork, I'm sure, for the archivists in the underground Empire who need to keep track of this all. I'll put out a new build for 3.2 in the next 24 hours or so, so it is my request that people who are using 3.1.1 be patient until then, and then upgrade their installation to 3.2 in order to export holds. Does that make sense?

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-02-2008 06:52 PM]
02-29-2008 at 05:01 PM
Neathro
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch (0)  
I shall look out for 3.2.
...No exports at all? :weep Oh well. I rarely use import/export anyway. I'll use the CPU with the install of 3.1.1.57 instead of 3.1.1.58. Oh yeah, and try not to make this sort of mistake again Caravel team? It can be a little bit... frustrating. I'm not much of a good architect anyway... (Who am I trying to fool? I'm probably the WORST ARCHITECT EVAR. Unless there's going to be another Cheap Trick contest sometime soon... :shifty)
02-29-2008 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
icon Re: 3.2 TCB Patch (+3)  
Neathro wrote:
Oh yeah, and try not to make this sort of mistake again Caravel team? It can be a little bit... frustrating.
Erm... No mistake was made. A beta patch was released. If you decide to install it, bear in mind that it's beta and new bugs may surface. Beta patches are there for the community to help test latest changes. It's never meant for general use.

I'm glad you backed your .57 install. You can use that when you want to export your hold.
03-01-2008 at 12:32 AM
mrimer
Neathro wrote:
Oh yeah, and try not to make this sort of mistake again Caravel team? It can be a little bit... frustrating.
It's frustrating for me too. I understand it makes more work for me and everyone else. I'll try to avoid this problem in the future, but I do expect there to be occasional problems with beta builds.

Anyway, I've uploaded 3.2 build 59 to the first post. I plan to include more bug fixes before the official release of 3.2, but this build already has a lot of good fixes and additions. Please note that 3.2 is considered a major version update, and files exported from this version are not importable into previous versions of DROD.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-01-2008 05:56 AM]
03-01-2008 at 05:33 AM
Neathro
Just so everyone knows, I didn't exactly back up TCB.57. I used it for the other computer and backed up about .52[<that was wrong]. Actually, it might have been... It was 3.0 I backed up (on CPU 1), CPU 1 now uses 3.1.1.57, now upgrading CPU 1 to 3.2.0.59 and CPU 2 uses 3.1.1.58 still. I'll update CPU 2 as soon as I find the time, as this fix sound very important.
03-01-2008 at 07:27 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.2 TCB Patch (Build 83 (Windows))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com