Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : How do you create the new styles? ('Nother Question)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon How do you create the new styles? (0)  
In addition to my question of how do you get the new styles, how would you make a new style?

I think I know some of it just by imagination; create some image files, make a new zipped file, toss them in there, and make sure everything works. Is this correct?

02-02-2008 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
icon Re: How do you create the new styles? (+1)  
I think Zch made a template somewhere here, just remake all of his floor and pit tiles (you'll know what I mean when you see it), make your own generaltiles replacing the ZchTemplateTiles, create your own .tim file and read this: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=89551
02-02-2008 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1132
Link to Zch's template.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 02-02-2008 11:23 PM]
02-02-2008 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Rank Points: 371
icon Re: How do you create the new styles? (0)  
NoahT wrote:
Link to Zch's template.

-Noah

Well, I created a style from Zch's template and I want to import it into DROD. How can I do this? :|

Edit: Never mind. I found it out. :D

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by rman at 04-23-2008 04:29 AM]
04-23-2008 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hahi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
Hey, Hey, first: Does anyone here speak German, because it's hard for me to understand the stuff here.

Second then: I have some ideas for new game elements (doors that close when you step on a sort of floor, slippery floor that lets you turn more than 45 degrees/ step more than one square/ slip til you stop on the next wall/obstacle), but I don't know how to implement that. :unsure And please explain to me how to use other peoples' elements that are presented here (German would be fine :P ).
05-09-2008 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Hahi wrote:
Hey, Hey, first: Does anyone here speak German, because it's hard for me to understand the stuff here.
Ja, aber da es sich hier nunmal um ein englisches Forum handelt waer' es anderen gegenueber unfair auf einmal in Deutsch zu posten - vor allem wenn es um Hilfe zu bestimmten Raeumen geht... :look

Also wenn irgend moeglich bitte auf Englisch posten; so schlimm ist Dein Englisch nun auch wieder nicht, zumindest hab' ich's verstanden... :)

np: Wassermann - Strasser (Schaffelfieber 2)

[Last edited by Briareos at 05-09-2008 01:56 PM]
05-09-2008 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Hahi wrote:
Yes, there are people who speak German here. There is even a thread where people posted their languages.
05-09-2008 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
Hahi wrote:

Second then: I have some ideas for new game elements (doors that close when you step on a sort of floor, slippery floor that lets you turn more than 45 degrees/ step more than one square/ slip til you stop on the next wall/obstacle), but I don't know how to implement that. :unsure And please explain to me how to use other peoples' elements that are presented here (German would be fine :P ).
A reply to the second part of your post:

First element can be done with pressure plates. You step on them and they affect doors (like an orb). 90 degree (or more) rotation could be implemented by a script, but I would be way too cumbersome (i.e.: wait for player at location, determine sword position (8 if clauses), if rotate pressed, set to a new direction (x2 per every if clause, for both directions)). I can only suggest speed potions as an alternative for whatever ideas you have on this. Last element is scriptable as well, even though it is far more painful compared to extra rotation.

Oh, and if you have a hard time understanding English, do not hesitate to use online translators, such as Yahoo's Babelfish or Google's Translate. You will have at least a rough idea of what is going on (and maybe even learn a little English). Have fun playing the game.

05-09-2008 at 04:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hahi
Rank Points: 24
Hey, thank you :3bounce But I think nothing is too cumbersome or to painfull; we love the challenges, don't we? So slipping compared to extra rotation would be joinfull, combined with this grilling red floor like in DROD TCB. :thumbsup
Do you know the script language DROD is written in? And what about the graphics?
If I'm not able to do it this way, please explain your proposals again to me, I didn't understand them really. :huh
05-09-2008 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
DROD uses an internal scripting engine, whose guide can be found here. It can be accessed via editor (guide here). Material of custom tiles is located here.

Sorry for not searching forums for more in-depth stuff, I have to get off the computer.

PS:
Hahi wrote:
But I think nothing is too cumbersome or to painfull;
Riiight...

[Last edited by eb0ny at 05-09-2008 07:06 PM]
05-09-2008 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
If that is what you are asking, DROD was programmed using C++.
05-12-2008 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 229
And the english link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B

05-12-2008 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
abe10
Rank Points: 18
How exactly do you turn a personalized template copy into a .dmf file?

04-21-2015 at 04:18 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Hopefully this should help: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=27698&page=0#269429

The export step is at the end, but it goes through everything else you need to have in place.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 04-22-2015 07:54 AM]
04-22-2015 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Gabrieloup
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 3
icon Re: How do you create the new styles? (-1)  
You kill 700 roaches in offer to the lord Eric the all mighty blessed be his name. Then thou shalt have your charm of making .dmf files.

Unseen like Wind.
Unheard like Earth.

[Last edited by Gabrieloup at 05-20-2015 08:22 PM]
05-20-2015 at 08:21 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : How do you create the new styles? ('Nother Question)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com