Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : / ! \ DOMINIONS / ! \ (Copied from the obbsessions thread.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
IP: Logged
icon / ! \ DOMINIONS / ! \ (+1)  
Dominions III.
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/1.htm

It's a really good indy 4X game where you control one of many "Pretender" gods (You make your own.) who are all trying to become the real god. The game has a lot of everything. 50 nations, 600 spells, countless magic weapons, and over one thousand unique units. It's a bit expensive at fifty bucks, and you can't purchase it through download, only through mail. But if you have a bit of extra cash, get this game.

(PS the manual is over 300 pages.)
(PPS I am not making these statistics up.)

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 01-24-2008 10:08 PM]
01-24-2008 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: / ! \ DOMINIONS / ! \ (0)  
I thought 4X was used to refer to the space exploration games.
01-25-2008 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Nope.
Civilization is a good example of a 4X game. So anything that resemble civ is a 4X. Setting doesn't matter.

01-25-2008 at 06:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: / ! \ DOMINIONS / ! \ (+1)  
zonhin wrote:
Nope.
Civilization is a good example of a 4X game. So anything that resemble civ is a 4X. Setting doesn't matter.
Except if it's set in Australia and involves trading foreign currencies, which would make it a Fourecks forex 4X game.

No, I'm not aware of such a beast, but it would be kind of cool.
01-25-2008 at 09:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: / ! \ DOMINIONS / ! \ (+2)  
b0rsuk is a happy owner of Dominions 3. It takes a while to get into into it, but it's well worth it. Very deep strategy game. And it has style !

A demon has possessed a herd of swine and ravaged the province for a week.

A buckler of polished silver, it has inscribed on its surface the face of an unknown statesman grinning at some private joke. The figure on the surface of the shield is reputedly the lover of Lady Luck and his face makes the bearer pleasant in the eyes of the Lady.

Buer is one of the Demon Lords. He is the Sun of the Inferno and tortures sinners and demons with searing heat. When summoned into this world, his powers are diminished and he takes a strange and fearsome bodily form. Buer appears as a burning, lion-maned goat's head encircled by five goat legs. The mere presence of the Goat Sun causes the temperature to rise to unbearable levels and in battle soldiers will suffer from severe exhaustion and may faint from the heat. Buer is a Lesser Sun and bound by divine laws to stay on the ground when visiting this world, a fact which he much resents.

This bear claw is enchanted to strengthen its wearer. This is a very manly talisman and it is said that a woman wearing it will get a deeper voice and maybe even a beard.

The ozelotl is a sacred jaguar fiend of the Mictlan forests. It is summoned and bound by human sacrifice.

Sorcerers are prominent witch doctors. With power comes arrogance and a will to dominate; thus many sorcerers have made themselves tribal chiefs. Sorcerers are generally feared and rule more through fear than justice.

It is rumored that there is a great city in the God Forest where apes rule instead of men. Few believed this myth until Mwaka arrived. Dressed in a cloak colored royal scarlet and crowned as a king, he marched up with his retinue to the Great Throne of the King Triumphant and swore his allegiance in exchange for one hundred and one wives and the release of the Ape Oracle, an ape of uncanny intelligence that had been captured a month earlier. The Voices of the Lord thought that if the powers of the Oracle were not enough to save her from being captured, she posed no danger and so was released. Mwaka now serves the God of the Forest and ever more apes are coming to his aid.

Kin-Breaker was the son of Ogon, founder of the Agarthan kingdom. Since the failure and destruction of the Agarthan army, his true name is no longer spoken. During the Agarthan conquest of the sunlit world, Kin-Breaker led the armies as he had underground, with strategies unfit for a sunlit world of no boundaries. Outshot, outflanked and outwitted, his royal army was nnihilated. The mutilated body of the Oracle Prince was returned to the deeps where an onyx statue was crafted in his image, black as the memory of the defeat. It was placed in the Chamber of the Seal and perhaps as a result of this, a remnant of Kin-Breaker's memories lingered on in the black colossus. Somehow it gathered wisdom and somehow it gathered might. Then came men and the statue was adorned with gold and worshipped by wretched little beings. But the beings would aid it where once it had failed. And it decided it would move.

The caster transforms seven ordinary boars into beings of flesh and steel. People do not like to be permanently transformed and would probably revolt against masters that tried to curse them with iron bodies. Pigs, on the other hand, are not bothered, or at least they don't complain. Pigs are also preferred to dogs, as they have the size and strength to trample human-sized opponents. The transformation does not make the pigs braver.

Ravagus, master of flames has sent his man-born son to serve you. In return he expects you to set the world on fire.

In the prophesies of Dungal it is said that there will be a great war that will lead to the dominance of Dungal, Dungal over all that is. During this great war Dungal will break the shackles that restrains the four winds, in roaring delight the four winds will savage the lands, uprooting trees and wrecking ships. Now the war is upon us, Dungal has unleashed the four winds. Boreas, Eurus, Notus and Zephyr can all be heard roaring outside your halls, their fury heralds the ascendancy of Dungal.
Still these winds, quell this omen, prove to faithful and faithless alike that the feeble prophesies of Dungal holds no sway over one such as you.

Mtoto, lord of Machaka, has proclaimed that the oak growing in Machaka's sacred grove is the Mother Oak, the oak that stands at the heart of the world.
The possession of this oak is surely a sign that Mtoto is the rightful ruler of this world, thus the oak must burn.

Scouts and spies have reported that clicking, clonking and ticking has been heard from the lands of Istaritu. Rumours are spreading that Istaritu is marshalling a metal army to defend his lands while he ascends to the heavens.
Istaritu's metal militia might prove to be a serious obstacle if the need should arise to strike quick and deep inside Sauromatia's territory. Unravel the foul magic of Istaritu and leave Istaritu's metal men to rust in the rain that comes to wash away his false faith.

Much much more stuff like this.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 01-26-2008 07:54 AM]
01-26-2008 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
i <3 dominions

01-26-2008 at 08:10 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
So do I, except that my skills seem to have decayed insanely, and I'm having a lot of trouble playing a decent MP game... Ah, well, I reckon I can still take one of you godlings in a fair fight.
01-26-2008 at 10:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : / ! \ DOMINIONS / ! \ (Copied from the obbsessions thread.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com