Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : .tim files
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
IP: Logged
icon .tim files (0)  
I don't know if this belongs in general or in here, but here goes. I want to create my own style for TCB for a hold i'm going to make, I've drawn stuff from zch template, but I have no idea how the .tim files work or how I modify them if I need to. So my question is: How do the .tim files work, can anyone explain please? Cheers all

EDIT: Also how do the 3 pit graphics work as in what do they do or look like in DRoD?

[Last edited by vinheim at 01-03-2008 01:59 AM]
01-03-2008 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: .tim files (+2)  
The way .tim files work is explained very well in this article. However, the same article does not describe tile IDs very well, especially in the case of walls and obstacles. You might need to do some experimenting in this case, depending upon what order you have your wall images arranged in.

The pit graphics aren't too difficult. Let's call your style MyStyle, for example's sake. First, on the bottom layer is the MyStylePit image. Next, MyStylePitside is drawn as many times as possible, starting from the left. (this may be zero times) Finally, MyStylePitsideSmall is added to fill in any pit widths smaller than the width of MyStylePitside.

This is just what I understand the system to be - if someone points out I'm wrong I'll gladly step aside and let them do some better explaining.

01-03-2008 at 02:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
icon Re: .tim files (0)  
Ok, I'm learning more, I just need the following explained:
1. pitside small, I get the rest
2. the wall formations in the article with the W's and O's and dashes
3. how to change the .tim file and the data inside it (I don't get the whole replacinh, unused stuff and I know the numbers are corresponding to the game elements at the bottom of the article)
01-03-2008 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: .tim files (+2)  
PitsideSmall is used when Pitside isn't big enough to cover the width of the space. So if you have an eight-space wide pit wall, and Pitside.png is 3 tiles wide (66 pixels), then PitsideSmall will be used to fill in the smaller bits. As an example, the arches in the Icerworks style would look pretty stupid if they were cut off, so they only appear at full increments.

The other information is hopelessly out of date, and my DROD New Year's Resolution is to fix it (hopefully soon!). It's useless regardless of whether you can understand it or not.
01-03-2008 at 06:07 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
icon Re: .tim files (0)  
I was wondering how to create a .tim file in the first place. I tried creating a notepad file and renaming it to dan.tim which did no good. Also what does it mean when it says "O doesn't matter" , does it mean you can put a floor or a wall there? Or some other obstacle?
01-26-2008 at 04:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : .tim files
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com