Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Minesweeper
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What's your best Expert Minesweeper time?
50-75
75-100
100-150
150-250
250+/haven't played.
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Minesweeper (0)  
I figured people were talking about it, and it'd be neat to see how DRODders fare in Minesweeper.

12-23-2003 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Minesweeper (0)  
Are scores of 50-75 even possible? The best minesweeper player I ever met could do it in around 90 seconds.

(I'm 140-ish, by the way, or I was when I was 18 - now I'm more along the 250 level)

12-23-2003 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I got 93 seconds once...way back in 1994, when I was a freshman in college. Never beaten that record since, and I think the closest I ever got was about 120 seconds. It was just a great board and I was "in the zone" with my middle-clicking (or actually clicking both buttons at the same time at that time).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-23-2003 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
What size of board are we talking about?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-23-2003 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
It says so in the title of the poll: "What's your best Expert Minesweeper time?" This is the largest board you can play without making a custom one.

It's kind of hidden, and it took me a couple looks to see it too.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-23-2003 at 07:10 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I got a sweet board once and ran it in 134. I once got 3 for Beginner's, and 37 for Intermediate or whatever the middle one is. I haven't even come close to these times in years, as my focus changed from speed to logic and efficiency.

12-23-2003 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I don't really try for speed and my current best I can see is 273 so I voted 250+ although I probably have done better in the past I just never bothered to remember this.
12-24-2003 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
What do I say if I've played it, but never beaten it?

12-24-2003 at 12:45 AM
zex20913
What do I say if I've played it, but never beaten it?

Darn....another failed poll...uh...put 250+.

And yes, it is possible to get a 50-75 time. My best score is a 68. This was pre-laptop, when I had a mouse, and I think I got a rocking board.

My beginner was 6 (I never got the "Good Board") and intermediate I believe 22.

The best time I could find was a 49, but I don't think he is on this board. I'd doubt it even.

12-24-2003 at 06:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
I do hope you saw that 49 in something not a screenshot, as anyone who goes digging through their computer can create whatever times they want. I found out where to do this by accident, and decided I'd better leave it so I knew what I actually did.

12-25-2003 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
I saw it in not a screen shot, but on the unofficial "We are Minesweeper addicts" site. There isn't a video of the 49, I think, but there is of one of his 57s or so. It's nuts. So I believe that he could get the 49 with a really good board.

12-25-2003 at 05:08 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I'll go back to it, and see if I can finish.

12-25-2003 at 04:09 PM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
I believe that the current world record is 43 seconds by Lasse Nyholm. I've got the video, but you have to download a codec to watch it. It's all at www.metanoodle.com/minesweeper if you're interested.

01-04-2004 at 10:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Wow, that's impressive. Reminds me of the videos for 11 minute Mario 3, and 8 minute (hardest difficulty) Quake. Stupidly fast runs through games.

01-05-2004 at 03:58 AM
Oneiromancer
The 11 minute Mario 3 was shown recently to be faked. He actually filmed himself dozens of times and then spliced the frames together so it was absolutely perfect. I don't have the link, it was on Fark a few weeks ago.

Game on,

01-05-2004 at 09:09 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Nevertheless, quite cool.

Reminds me of a video for Super Metroid (the ultimate speed-run game) that finished the game in an hour, but it was done in an emulator and was spliced together. Then again, he said so when he posted it, saying that this is probably faster than the traditional route.

Matt

01-05-2004 at 09:51 AM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Oneiromancer wrote:
The 11 minute Mario 3 was shown recently to be faked. He actually filmed himself dozens of times and then spliced the frames together so it was absolutely perfect. I don't have the link, it was on Fark a few weeks ago.

Game on,

Really? From what I heard, it was real enough (as in a single run through), but he'd used an emulator or something to make the game run at 1/30 of normal speed.

01-05-2004 at 01:39 PM
Oneiromancer
No, it was definitely not a single run-through. He used the save state option of the emulator to play the same parts over and over again until they could be spliced together perfectly.

Game on,

01-05-2004 at 04:33 PM
DiMono
There are two Mario 3 ones. The one I'm talking about involved also getting to 99 lives as a side-effect, in such a way that it would have taken an unreasonable amount of time to assemble the pieces to splice. There's another done in about 9 minutes 30 seconds which was shown to be faked, which is undoubtedly the one you're referring to.

01-06-2004 at 02:41 AM
Oneiromancer
Ah, I assumed there was only one colossal Mario 3 waste of time out there. I am so happy to be proven wrong. :glare

Game on,

01-06-2004 at 05:30 AM
Mattcrampy
Although by definition it's not that much time wasted. I mean, Super Metroid's worse - you have to cover a fair amount of the game (and sit through interactive cut-scenes) even when doing a speed run.

Matt

01-06-2004 at 08:32 AM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Mattcrampy wrote:
Although by definition it's not that much time wasted.

You forget that while the video is only 11 minutes long, the game was played at 1/30 of normal speed. That means playing for five and a half hours straight. :blink

01-06-2004 at 03:57 PM
zex20913
Most of it's boring too. Imagine playing one room of DROD where everything that happens in one second happens in 30.

01-06-2004 at 05:34 PM
Mattcrampy
Oh.

Geez, there's a point when you've just gotta let go.

Matt

01-06-2004 at 05:41 PM
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
I once got the idea to try to complete minesweeper with as many mines as I could (on the largest allowed grid of course). My record is 205, but this was several years ago. Actually, I think I'll have another go at beating 210 now.
01-08-2004 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
One version of minesweeper guarantees that all boards will be solvable.
01-08-2004 at 11:25 PM
Roasted_Mellowz
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Yeah...Of course it's almost impossible. The World Record as you may already know is 56 seconds...Many people have come close to it and tied it, but haven't been faster
02-25-2004 at 03:14 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
I wrote:
I believe that the current world record is 43 seconds by Lasse Nyholm. I've got the video...
Hmmmmm?
:hi, by the way.

[Edited by masonjason on 02-25-2004 at 03:32 PM GMT]

02-25-2004 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Darn, I came in late again.

www.albinoblacksheep.com video files. Super mario 3 speed run; the 99 lives. And that run is technically possible. It looks normal, and even the sound is good from what I remember.

Still, even to splice it together is OBSCENELY cool. I was stunned when I saw it.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-25-2004 at 03:56 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Minesweeper Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No