Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Webmaster appreciation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Webmaster appreciation (0)  
I just realized that the webmasters, and forum administrators, who really do quite a good job and do it for free, don't really ever get all the respect they deserve. As a web designer, writer and musician, it really bugs me when I put a lot of work in to something only to have it critisized by people who want to see it do other things that I deemed trivial.

It also really bugs me when people take this work for granted, because it really is quite a bit of work. This site uses php, SQL, lots of DROD source code, xhtml, cascading style sheets, and quite possibly some perl soon if my Hall of Legendary Smitemasters script gets used, and these are only the languages I know about. These are not by any means simple to learn well, and Schik and Matt are putting an immense amount of effort in to learning and applying these languages and standards.

Our humble webmasters volunteer their time here, spending hours on things we'd rather not have to do for ourselves. This is not work that just anyone can do, and it's very considerate of them to volunteer their time and energy to keeping this site and forum running and looking good.

I've also noticed the threads complaining about some problem on the site or forum far outnumber the number of posts thanking Matt and Schik and anyone else for what they've done, and this bugs me. A lot of work has gone in to this site, and most of it's gone unappreciated because as visitors we expect it, not realizing how hard it is to implement.

So Matt, Schik, Erik, and anyone else I don't know about, thank you for making this website and allowing it to host a community of puzzle lovers and game fans, and thank you to everyone who's contributed to Deadly Rooms of Death itself. Without your help, this site and the game wouldn't be nearly as cool as they are.

12-22-2003 at 08:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Webmaster appreciation (0)  
Absolutely, I agree with every word.

12-22-2003 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I'm just speaking for myself, not the others involved in the website.
DiMono wrote:
it really bugs me when I put a lot of work in to something only to have it critisized by people who want to see it do other things that I deemed trivial.
Criticism doesn't bother me - I need feedback from my users so I know what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong. Of course, only negative feedback would get a bit tiresome, but I get plenty of positive as well.
I've also noticed the threads complaining about some problem on the site or forum far outnumber the number of posts thanking Matt and Schik and anyone else for what they've done, and this bugs me.
It's a simple fact of life that people notice when things are wrong, and not when they're right. I am a dog trainer, and that's one thing we mention to people - if you just tell your dog when he's being bad, he's not learning what he *should* be doing. For instance, if you yell at him for peeing in the house, he doesn't learn that he should pee outside. The proper way would be to reward him for peeing outside (while still letting him know peeing inside is a no-no) - then he'll actually *want* to go outside, not just do it because he's afraid of what will happen if he doesn't. Behavior that is reinforced will be repeated. (If anyone has any dog problems/questions, feel free to PM me or start a thread on the Anything board.)

I'm straying a bit off-topic, because it's not an issue around here - if people notice a bug in the forum every day, that doesn't mean they should also praise me every day for my work on the forum - that would be excessive. Just seeing "Hey, that's cool!" after I upload some changes is praise enough.
So Matt, Schik, Erik, and anyone else I don't know about, thank you for making this website and allowing it to host a community of puzzle lovers and game fans, and thank you to everyone who's contributed to Deadly Rooms of Death itself. Without your help, this site and the game wouldn't be nearly as cool as they are.
I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't enjoy it. I doubt the others would either. Well, except for Mattcrampy, who we keep chained to a computer in a small, damp, dark room in Erik's basement, and does it so that we'll feed him.

12-22-2003 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I'd better thank you too.....

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-22-2003 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Schik wrote:
Well, except for Mattcrampy, who we keep chained to a computer in a small, damp, dark room in Erik's basement, and does it so that we'll feed him.
Amazing! Erik's basement is in Australia! Please, tell me, how did you extend your house across thousands of miles of ocean?

"Oook!"
12-22-2003 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It's a very deep basement; otherwise, where would he put all the man-sized roaches and the 100-meter long serpents when they're resting from chasing Beethro around?

12-22-2003 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Please help me get out, it's damp down here and the computer's a 486 with only dial-up.

I can't work under these conditions!

Matt

12-23-2003 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
In the interests of aiding Matt, I just mailed a Pentium 90mHz machine to:

Matt Crampy
Austraila

I hope it finds you well

12-23-2003 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:

Austraila

I hope it finds you well
I don't think so. Look at the spelling of the "address".

12-23-2003 at 11:12 PM
Mattcrampy
Australia Post is good, but not that good.

And my last name's 'Cramp' - the 'y' is so it's pronouncable in one word and three syllables.

Matt

12-24-2003 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
agaricus5 wrote:
DiMono wrote:

Austraila

I hope it finds you well
I don't think so. Look at the spelling of the "address".
Heehee... someone caught it

12-25-2003 at 12:59 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
The webmasters here are wonderful, and do great work. But I think Erik forgot to feed Matt again; he's looking thin.

And I'm concerned about his lack of cable. He needs T1, or at least DSL as a temporary solution.

So I'm sending over a team of trained monkeys with a smitemaster to help them get to the level Matt's at. Once there they should install a high-speed cable to go along with the Pentium.

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-05-2004 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Don't worry, I've escaped. That's how come I look thin - Erik does feed me occasionally, but out here there's no food.

However, there is an ADSL line, so I'm not concerned.

Ooh, look, a completed Sub Club card! I get food!

Matt

02-06-2004 at 01:38 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Webmaster appreciation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com