Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What is .torrent for?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon What is .torrent for? (0)  
I mean file extension
12-31-2007 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: What is .torrent for? (-1)  
13 Slayer. Why are you always posting things that are illegal?
12-31-2007 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: What is .torrent for? (0)  
Well, the emulator thread wasn't illegal. I read most of it that is. I think that was his only other 'if' illegal post. And here, all he wants to know is what a .torrent is. I mean a file extension. Now there are a few possibilities that this could be illegal, but those aren't likely.

12-31-2007 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Rank Points: 57
Mr. Slice wrote:
Well, the emulator thread wasn't illegal. I read most of it that is. I think that was his only other 'if' illegal post. And here, all he wants to know is what a .torrent is. I mean a file extension. Now there are a few possibilities that this could be illegal, but those aren't likely.

I guess what you're saying is true. All he is doing is asking a question that needs to be answered.
12-31-2007 at 05:26 AM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: What is .torrent for? (+2)  
Just because people use things for illegal purposes doesn't mean that the thing itself is illegal. For example, you can drown someone in water, but that doesn't mean that you or water is illegal. In fact water is quite nice and makes other things be able to quench their thirst and live and stuff.

So anyway, .torrent is the extension for bittorrent files. Bittorrent is not illegal, it's just another way of transferring files. Plenty of free big files out there, like Linux distros for example. Blizzard uses it for their WoW update thingy even.

Bittorrent can be nice for large files because everyone that downloads a file can also send it to others, so you can download parts from people close to you or even many places at once and get potentially greater speeds without having any negative effect on the bandwidth of whoever hosted the file originally. When you download you help everyone else download too, for everyone's benefit. (Bit of a simplification there, but essentially what it is.)

To download files with bittorrent you need a bittorrent client. The original one is at bittorrent.com, but there's many others too with various features.

12-31-2007 at 06:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Rank Points: 140
He was just asking what it was. And I think you handled that fairly readily. Good work! Now I know what one is.

12-31-2007 at 07:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Yup. Torrents can be used to share anything. They're popular for the illegal distribution of copyrighted files, but they can also be used to download Linux distributions, Tool Assisted Speedruns, and all the stuff that really has no point being put on BitTorrent over at the official website... I personally use Azureus.

12-31-2007 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Whenever I try to open a torrent, it stays at 0.0%. I tried opening ports and everything, how do I make it work?

01-01-2008 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: What is .torrent for? (+1)  
Snacko wrote:
Whenever I try to open a torrent, it stays at 0.0%. I tried opening ports and everything, how do I make it work?
Have you checked that the torrent in question is a recent one? If it's an older one, it simply might not have any seeds.

01-01-2008 at 07:00 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
calamarain wrote:
Snacko wrote:
Have you checked that the torrent in question is a recent one? If it's an older one, it simply might not have any seeds.
He could try downloading any of the Debian CD torrents - I very much doubt there'd be no seeds for those... :)

np: Dominik Eulberg - Keine Nieten Bei Den Herbstzeitlosen (Flora & Fauna)

01-01-2008 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
malkav11
Rank Points: 59
I very much recommend using a client other than the basic BitTorrent client, which has a number of annoying downsides including flooding your bandwidth. For most platforms, I'd use Azureus, for Windows, uTorrent. Although if one just wants to be able to download a file every now and then, they might be slight overkill.
01-01-2008 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Isn't the offical bittorrent client now based on utorrent?
01-02-2008 at 12:52 AM
13th Slayer
Rank Points: 27
Thanks for your help. I tried to download a game and got that. Thats why im askin.
01-06-2008 at 06:36 PM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
I do hope the game is from a legal source, although I have doubts.

-Insane
01-08-2008 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
We've already determined it isn't.
01-08-2008 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What is .torrent for?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com