Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Length of a mile
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Length of a mile (0)  
Ok, I've been playing subterra 2, and I've reached the quiz level. The first question is "how many kilometers in a mile", and the options it gives are 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4

None of these answers are correct - a mile is 1.6 kilometers.

There's a similar problem with the second question, which is "who found the golden fleece", and it gives the answers of Herakles, Perseus, and Theseus. The golden fleece, of course, was found by Jason. Theseus was with him according to some variations of the legend, but he wasn't the one in charge.

I didn't really look through all the other questions - I thought maybe this was a trick and you just had to ignore the questions, but that didn't work. And I did see one question (capital of Sweden) which did have a correct answer.

[Last edited by eytanz at 12-08-2007 03:23 PM]
12-08-2007 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Length of a mile (0)  
yeah, I noticed that as well...which is why I haven't got my nice yellow light-bulb yet.

Note: if you haven't read any of the EarthSea quartet, then you'll find one of the questions hard, so I'll tell you now, the answer to the question that ses "what is Sparrowhawks real name" is
Click here to view the secret text
:D

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
12-08-2007 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
I just got through that level by Googling all the questions. Simple.
12-08-2007 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Length of a mile (-1)  
eytanz wrote:
Ok, I've been playing subterra 2, and I've reached the quiz level. The first question is "how many kilometers in a mile", and the options it gives are 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4
Interestingly enough, there are various kinds of mile. The historical mile, first used by the Romans, is 1.4 kilometers. The international mile, first used by the British, is 1.6 kilometers. And the nautical mile is 1.8 kilometers. So the correct answer is indeed 1.4.

You are, however, correct about Jason.

12-08-2007 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Length of a mile (+1)  
Radiant wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Interestingly enough, there are various kinds of mile. The historical mile, first used by the Romans, is 1.4 kilometers. The international mile, first used by the British, is 1.6 kilometers. And the nautical mile is 1.8 kilometers. So the correct answer is indeed 1.4.

A Roman mile is not a mile. The question in its current phrasing is "how much is a dozen? 9, 11, or 13?" and the correct answer being "13", because 13 is a baker's dozen.

A baker's dozen is not a dozen. Similarly, an ancient Roman mile is not a mile. The English word mile, without modifiers, can only refer to a distance of approximately 1.6 kilometers.

[Last edited by eytanz at 12-09-2007 08:55 AM]
12-09-2007 at 12:45 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
On another note, the Roman mile is approximatively 1.48 kilometer, so even the '1.4' bit of the answer is pretty inaccurate.
12-09-2007 at 07:58 AM
Radiant
eytanz wrote:
A Roman mile is not a mile. The question in its current phrasing is "how much is a dozen? 9, 11, or 13?" and the correct answer being "13", because 13 is a baker's dozen.
Except that the so-called baker's dozen came after the dozen, and is a variation on that; whereas the Roman mile is the original mile, and all other miles are a variation on that one.

12-09-2007 at 09:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Alneyan wrote:
On another note, the Roman mile is approximatively 1.48 kilometer, so even the '1.4' bit of the answer is pretty inaccurate.

Okay, well, I'll add that to my fixlist for the next release of ST2 (that or find a different bit of trivia).

12-09-2007 at 09:35 AM
eytanz
Radiant wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Except that the so-called baker's dozen came after the dozen, and is a variation on that; whereas the Roman mile is the original mile, and all other miles are a variation on that one.

No, it's not the original mile. Romans didn't speak English, and they didn't call it a mile, the Latin term was "Mila". As far as I can tell, by the time the English form of the word was introduced the most common usage was the current usage.

But even if it were the original mile, I can't see why that matters. Here's another parallel: "how many stars on the American flag?" Well, the *first* official American flag design had 13 stars. Does that make it the right answer? No, because the current flag supercedes the previous ones. An American flag has 50 stars - though there were times in history (indeed, most of the history of the US) when that was not true. "Name the president of the USA" - the answer is George W. Bush, not George Washington, even though Washington was the original president.

Meanings of words change, just like flags change and presidents change. "Mile" may arguably have referred to 1.48 km once, but it doesn't anymore.

12-09-2007 at 10:00 AM
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
The Stew Boy wrote:
I just got through that level by Googling all the questions. Simple.

CHEATER!!!!!
you should read them, it's good.
to help you with tracking it down, the author name is Ursula K. le
Guin. Tehanu is a bit scratchy, mind. :thumbsup

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
12-10-2007 at 08:12 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Length of a mile
Surf To: