Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : serpents
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Kistral
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon serpents (0)  
I know this has been discussed before, but I really didn't learn much from reading the previous posts. My question: can anyone explain, in detail, how exactly the snakes decide which way to move? People have been tossing around something about every 5 moves, but I can't seem to find anything that consistently happens every five moves, or after five moves (therefore every sixth).

Can anyone explain, in detail, how exactly these buggers move? I can't wrap my head around it, and I'm sick of playing by guesswork.
12-16-2003 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: serpents (0)  
Hmm, I'll update the site now that the monster descriptions are going to be spoilery.

Snakes will move towards you, either attempting to get in the same row as you, and only then column, or the other way around. You'll have to work out which by observation.

They change their preference every five moves, so if a snake is trying to get in the same row as you, after five moves it will instead try and get in the same column.

The only exception is when you are behind its head, in which case it will go straight forwards until it hits a wall. Some holds exploit this behaviour.

That help?

Matt

12-16-2003 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kistral
Ooooh... yes, the helps a ton. I guess I wasn't reading the rest of the comments on this site the right way. It's very difficult behavior to observe and understand.
12-16-2003 at 05:13 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
It's also been mentioned that serpents can't "see" you if you are not in their line of sight, but it will still move tomorrow.

Anyways, one tip is that when you are getting a serpent into a dead end, you either stand on the other side of it and make it try to go to you, or stand opposite from it and move down when the serpent is in front of the "hole". However, the second one only works about 50% of the time.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-16-2003 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kistral
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
It's also been mentioned that serpents can't "see" you if you are not in their line of sight, but it will still move tomorrow.

What do you mean by "it will still move tomorrow"?

Another question: If a snake is in "match beethro's column" mode, is moving left and hits a wall, and I'm on the other side of the wall, how does the snake decide whether to turn up or down?
12-16-2003 at 07:44 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Kistral wrote:
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
What do you mean by "it will still move tomorrow"?

:twak I wasn't thinking straight. I meant "towards you"

Another question: If a snake is in "match beethro's column" mode, is moving left and hits a wall, and I'm on the other side of the wall, how does the snake decide whether to turn up or down?

There's a way that it chooses, but I don't know how. If the snake is brained, it will of course take the shortest route. But otherwise.....

12-16-2003 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cattivik
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
This discussion is very enlightening but still there are a few things that don't seem to be explained by these theories:
Click here to view the secret text

I know they are not supposed to move randomly, but they certainly seem to!
Anyone who could shed more light on the matter?
/andrea

12-18-2003 at 11:58 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
If there's a 2x2 obstacle between you and the snake, the snake will turn toward you if possible. If you're already on the same axis, I believe it takes the shortest path.

If it doesn't take the shortest path, then it probably prefers right over left, or left over right, etc.

As for the circling, if the snake can't see you then it's worse at pathfinding. I'm not entirely sure how the code determines if the snake can see you, I haven't gone digging through the code, but it's probably related to distance from the head.

I've got nothing for your second question.

12-19-2003 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
The serpent goes as diagonal as it can when it is brained.

12-19-2003 at 05:09 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Diagonal's not the issue, it's a sine wave.

12-20-2003 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Or a cosine wave. :D

12-20-2003 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
Diagonal's not the issue, it's a sine wave.
Minus the time axis, of course.

12-23-2003 at 02:16 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : serpents
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com