Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : LeyLines: How to survive? (Questions on how to avoid losing troops randomly)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
m007kuzya
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Dependents and Supliers (0)  
Hi!I'm from Rusia,and i know english so little, but i have a qustion.

Why Regency have a "dependent"(planax, diplomant) unit and no have "suplier" unit? How i can use diplomant? Only near my city? But this is not helpful, i think...
03-07-2008 at 09:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
icon Dependents and Suppliers (0)  
Well... Diplomats can bribe other units, so if any caravans just happen to wander by... ;)

Also sometimes you find a random event where all still livingš players bid for a unit... The unit is not likely to be a caravan, but you never know... Apart from that I don't know... Radiant, do the regency have any suppliers? Is m007kuzya right?

You also might find the phalanx and diplomat work quite well in your citys anyway, because it means you have a fairly strong defensive force and you can bribe invading armys. Try other units for your invading force... Daemons and Liches for example...

Sorry if I'm not helping much, but I almost never play the regency. I prefer the elves.

1: Owning at least one unit or city and not a former target of the Abjuration spell. At least I think those are the only ways for a single player but not the others to lose.

[Last edited by Neathro at 03-07-2008 12:29 PM]
03-07-2008 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Dependents and Suppliers (0)  
No, the Regency don't have supplier units.

However, think of it like this: if you were a high-ranking official in a powerful and rather corrupt city, with the kind of post that offers decadent parties and the ability to manipulate your enemies into the deepest dungeon, do you think you would go and walk out into the faraway forests to see if there was an enemy army approaching? Heh.

There is a way around this, and that is to take Chaos magic, and cast Degenerate on the diplomat.

Also, note that the Regency really isn't all that suited for a straightforward rush-and-conquest game; they're more geared towards the sneaky stab-you-in-the-back kind, with a bagful of dirty tricks.

03-07-2008 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: LeyLines: How to survive? (0)  
I always thought the Phalanx was for home defense, 'cos thats what all the AI use...

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-08-2008 at 09:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
m007kuzya
Rank Points: 10
Radiant wrote:
No, the Regency don't have supplier units.

However, think of it like this: if you were a high-ranking official in a powerful and rather corrupt city, with the kind of post that offers decadent parties and the ability to manipulate your enemies into the deepest dungeon, do you think you would go and walk out into the faraway forests to see if there was an enemy army approaching? Heh.

OK, i understend why diplomant is dependend unit. This is logistical. But i don't understend why Regency can't supply him? This is not logistical, IMHO. :/

There is a way around this, and that is to take Chaos magic, and cast Degenerate on the diplomat.

Also, note that the Regency really isn't all that suited for a straightforward rush-and-conquest game; they're more geared towards the sneaky stab-you-in-the-back kind, with a bagful of dirty tricks.

Ye :) This is my favorit race because i like his strategy :) Win with trick, not with strength :)
03-08-2008 at 09:25 PM
Radiant
m007kuzya wrote:
OK, i understend why diplomant is dependend unit. This is logistical. But i don't understend why Regency can't supply him? This is not logistical, IMHO. :/

(1) because the diplomat doesn't want to be supplied, and
(2) because the Regency thinks supply trains are a waste of time when you have undead troops that don't require food.

03-09-2008 at 05:00 PM
wonkyth
'Tis a Good Point!

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-10-2008 at 09:46 AM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
I like building up a strong economic base, and researching as much tech as I can before building up my armies. And even then, I only end up with like 3 cities, and my army is like 1 group of 6 men. That's probably why I like to play as Regency, where a few innocuous units (*cough*assassin*cough*) can easily overpower much more expensive units.

That said, it can usually take me about 30 turns to win, even on small maps. I don't know, should I be more aggressive?

Oh btw Radiant, did you get that PM I sent you?

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 03-21-2008 06:17 PM]
03-21-2008 at 06:16 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
I like building up a strong economic base, and researching as much tech as I can before building up my armies. And even then, I only end up with like 3 cities, and my army is like 1 group of 6 men.
Really? I often play with a "settler rush" strategy that nets me 6-8 cities.

That said, it can usually take me about 30 turns to win, even on small maps. I don't know, should I be more aggressive?
30 turns sounds fair, that means you might even win before winter. A game can easily take more seasons.

Oh btw Radiant, did you get that PM I sent you?
Yes.

03-25-2008 at 09:23 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
Whoops I'm not sure what I meant when I said 30, 'cuz some games do take till like... spring, 826 (that's roughly 312 turns).

The relevency of your settler rush strategy may be lost on me. See, I usually have all the settings to the midpoint, so the map is mostly fair and balanced in every regard. Also, I like starting on low power, as I find its more fun building the city from scratch than it is taking some half-developed junk (no offense :P).

03-26-2008 at 09:31 PM
wonkyth
I'm no good when it comes to quick games either.
I'm sure that in one game I passed four winters.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-29-2008 at 02:08 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : LeyLines: How to survive? (Questions on how to avoid losing troops randomly)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com