Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
<<4567
Page 8 of 15
9101112>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon Re: Leylines: the revival thread (0)  
One thing that should probably be done before the final release is the implementation of an official campaign.
Leylines has the makings of a high-flux world, and single-player strategy games seem to be a bit repetitive unless it revolves around a large scale goal, such as world domination or undead extermination...

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-09-2009 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
wonkyth wrote:
One thing that should probably be done before the final release is the implementation of an official campaign.
That would depend on whether some forum users here are interested in writing some scenarios.

11-09-2009 at 10:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
I'd be happy to do it in collaboration, but as I'm not very self-motivated, someone else would have to be in charge.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-09-2009 at 11:02 AM
B.J.Earles
Rank Points: 18

File: Moreheroes.ley (30.1 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
I might be inclined to make some campaign maps. I haven't done much with the editor yet, but I'm a quick learner. Of course, this all depends on how much free time I have between now the final release and how many other projects I'll be working on.

Anyway, I found a glitch in the game. It is apparently possible to get more than three heroes. In the game attached I was able to call a new hero when one of my old ones died, and then latter the hero that had died came back like normal. Now I have four heroes.
11-10-2009 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
BerserkerX wrote:
3) Half of map is covered with astral void. Is it funny?
Not really; that's normal when Call the Void is in effect for a long time, as it can really eat up the map over several turns.

Casting Call the Void is a double-edged sword. On one hand, all enemy/raider cities can have a chance of being destroyed outright by falling into the expanding void. On the other hand, your cities can still be taken out if they get surrounded by void, causing them to starve to death. Call the Void can also take out any units not in cities; this is good because it can kill invading armies, but bad if your armies are the ones doing the invading and are taken out.

As wonkyth said, it's best to use Call the Void after getting well established in the center if the map. My preferred method is to expand my territory toward the center, founding cities and building them up as I go to establish a power base. Then once I'm firmly situated in the center and expanding outwards, I cast Call the Void and start taking out my opponents.

Click here to view the secret text

11-10-2009 at 03:26 PM
Radiant
B.J.Earles wrote:
I noticed that a couple of the race narrators have been made into heroes as well.
You made Threb Shadowhand sad :)

Not all of the narrators appear as heroes, mostly on grounds that I don't have suitable art for heroes of all races.

Also, do certain heroes have a higher change of showing up? I seem to get roughly the same ones each time.
No, although that might be a bug; I'll check. On the other hand, I do recall putting up some code that saving, calling a hero, and restoring should result in the same hero again.

Regarding level design, at present I would be more interested in level designers for the RPG we're working on, than for a campaign for Leylines.

11-10-2009 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Radiant wrote:
Regarding level design, at present I would be more interested in level designers for the RPG we're working on, than for a campaign for Leylines.

I'd rather you worked on the new project as well.
Not that I don't think Leylines needs a campaign, but that will happen with time, regardless. :)

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-11-2009 at 09:49 AM
Radiant
BerserkerX, please remember that you are a guest on this forum, and that you are speaking to (among others) the volunteer designers of a free game. As such, I find it highly inappropriate that you would discuss hacking such a game, or that you would post hacked versions thereof in the forum. Please do not do that again.

[Last edited by Radiant at 11-14-2009 11:39 AM]
11-14-2009 at 11:28 AM
BerserkerX
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
As you wish.
But in whole prohibition of game modding leads to decrease in popularity, just in case ;)
There was a time when I disliked editing of my mods. Everyone had to play the game I saw it like. But soon I understood that doing so I just lose many fans and creative persons and if my target is not earning money, than it should be people interest and happiness.
But of course, I appreciate you decision and won't try to make harm to the original ideas any more )))

11-14-2009 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Well, if you're interested in modding, then you could always try your hand at making a level or two for SubTerra, Leylines, or Eye of the Tempest...

11-14-2009 at 02:10 PM
BerserkerX
Another bug: Guide skill does not affect Forester.

[Last edited by BerserkerX at 11-14-2009 11:30 PM]
11-14-2009 at 07:32 PM
wonkyth
Radiant wrote:
Well, if you're interested in modding, then you could always try your hand at making a level or two for... Eye of the Tempest...

! :D

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-14-2009 at 11:23 PM
B.J.Earles
Radiant Wrote: ...Eye of the Tempest

? :huh

! :-O

!!! :w00t
11-14-2009 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
Eye of the Tempest
I don't think I've heard of that one. Could you post a link?

11-15-2009 at 07:08 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
It's still under early development, so I don't think there's any online documentation available for it yet.

11-15-2009 at 10:10 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
It's still under early development, so I don't think there's any online documentation available for it yet.

Indeed, there's not.

11-15-2009 at 10:31 PM
The Mystic
That explains a lot; thanks anyway, though.

11-16-2009 at 03:03 PM
BerserkerX
Bug: reload does not restore heroes characteristics! And at first loading some characteristics are random. I checked it for sure. Found addresses and changed skills. Reloaded. And nothing changed!
What language did you use for game creating? Are the sources closed for public?

11-20-2009 at 07:10 PM
BerserkerX
Update: bug concerns only UK-Sothar.

11-20-2009 at 07:16 PM
BerserkerX
Cannot still fix the bug with town defense. Monsters change randomly, the same with their parameters. If I zero code that subtracts monster's health (smth like arr[monid].health-=num; ) then units don't change and after that game goes into endless cycle. I break cycling rule - ok, bit no one can hit anyone yet (remember, I noped SubtractHealth piece of code). If I restore it then immediately almost all units lose random amount of health and only after that normal battle begins, if it can be called normal. My units have low parameters, no exp bonuses, 2 move points and so on.

Authors, shame on you for releasing this version. I say it as a programmer to programmers. :thumbsdown
Yeah, deleting posts is everything you can, but think, maybe I'm the only one who still plays and test the game, waisting dozens of hours...

[Last edited by BerserkerX at 11-25-2009 11:49 AM]
11-24-2009 at 07:16 PM
wonkyth
Maybe you should practise playing these games at your leisure.
As Radiant already said, these projects have no other agenda other than "fun all 'round", and I don't think it's any of your business whether the game is dodgy.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-26-2009 at 05:11 AM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
BerserkerX wrote:
Cannot still fix the bug with town defense. Monsters change randomly, the same with their parameters. If I zero code that subtracts monster's health (smth like arr[monid].health-=num; ) then units don't change and after that game goes into endless cycle. I break cycling rule - ok, bit no one can hit anyone yet (remember, I noped SubtractHealth piece of code). If I restore it then immediately almost all units lose random amount of health and only after that normal battle begins, if it can be called normal. My units have low parameters, no exp bonuses, 2 move points and so on.

Authors, shame on you for releasing this version. I say it as a programmer to programmers. :thumbsdown
So, because you changed things manually, inside the game code by hacking the game, and caused things to break/saw bad code that nobody else would have ever seen, that makes it bad? Riiight. -_-

11-26-2009 at 08:15 AM
BerserkerX
The last release is totally unplayable. Such amount of critical bugs in candidate release 2 is a rare and very unprofessional thing. "Defenders of author's honour" just don't play the game.

Fixing bugs in disassembler is hundred times harder than one could do with the sources of the game, savegame and detailed description from tester.

Phrases like "it's none of your business" always take place when there is no better arguments. My opinion is that everyone should do his work carefully. One mistake of a programmer may consume hundred hours of players. You feel no responsibility? Ok, it's your problem, not mine.

11-26-2009 at 10:05 AM
wonkyth
This game has no reason to maintain "Professional Standards".
It is quite simply a hobby that the developers work on during their spare time. When there is no need for high standards, especially when that is what is required for professional work, why waste the energy.
This is Not Radiants job, and he shouldn't be expected to act accordingly.

Phrases like "it's none of your business" always take place when there is no better arguments.

Yeah,you're right, there isn't many other reasons.
But taking a non-profit project, finding a bunch of bugs and then criticising Where it was not asked for suggests that you need to take things a little less seriously.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-26-2009 at 09:55 PM
BerserkerX
2 Radiant:
As far as I can see you don't save info about new heroes and don't load it. UK-Sothar is not the only one. You save/load only 480h bytes for heroes.

Almost fixed two bugs. I need only some info.
The size of TUnit structure is 40?
The size of THero structure is 96?
How much heroes exists in the game?

11-28-2009 at 12:06 PM
wonkyth
At least your being productive now. ;)

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-28-2009 at 12:16 PM
BerserkerX
It's some kind of Hell work ))

11-28-2009 at 01:51 PM
BerserkerX
I spent about 3 days on fixing bugs and at last my younger brother came back from another town. I thought we could play, but I was wrong. Even when cast of Call the Void is 9999999, AI (can it be called AI?) is cheating. Void is spreading from both ends of the map...
This game is not for me, sorry. Some bad ideas spoiled originally interesting setting . :?

11-28-2009 at 07:07 PM
The Mystic
BerserkerX wrote:Void is spreading from both ends of the map...
That's what it's supposed to do. Call the Void causes the void to spread from the outer edges inward, not from one edge to the other.

11-29-2009 at 01:50 AM
Radiant
BX, I understand that fixing bugs in assembly code would be highly frustrating. But then, I wonder why you're doing that in the first place. To be frank, nobody asked you to; and in over a decade of being a game designer, I've never heard of anyone doing that, either. If you're trying to impress us, this is not the way to do it.

It strikes me that it would be much more productive if you would send me a saved game with instructions that if I do so-and-so, the game crashes. I do read bug reports and fix them eventually. However, since you're neither my boss nor paying for my services, I make no guarantees as to when, since I do have a social life.

Finally, you should consider that if you want somebody to do you a favor, then insulting that person is unlikely to convince him to do so. Consider this your final warning on that matter.

11-29-2009 at 08:00 PM
<<4567
Page 8 of 15
9101112>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com