Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
Page 4 of 15
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Danjen02
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Re: Leylines: still beta testing (updated) (0)  
I discovered an issue withe the Alliance race. When you have "Use Building Queues for City Production" option enabled, you cannot build buildings by selecting the individual one. The game forces a unit to be built instead.

09-15-2008 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
shruggles
Rank Points: 9
icon Re: Leylines: still beta testing (updated) (-1)  
This game looks great. :D I had a small problem early on however, which I thought I could mention.

Building in cities worked fine to begin with, but after 20 turns or so the unit information window kept popping up on top of the build menu whenever I chose "build", so I could no longer select what to build, and closing the unit information window closed the build menu as well. A complete quit and loading from saved game corrected the problem.
12-23-2008 at 01:06 PM
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
The only problem I've had when building is that the production queues don't seem to work right if you're playing as an alliance.

Click here to view the secret text

12-23-2008 at 04:30 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
*Universe Switch*
:hi
To the Forums!

12-24-2008 at 04:03 AM
Mahasuchi
Rank Points: 10

File: End_of_turn_crash.ley (26.2 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
License: Public Domain
Hi, I've downloaded this game not long ago, I'm a big Master of Magic, Civ and strategy fan so I was overjoyed when I saw this. Unfortunately I can't seem to get past 20 or 30 turns or so before it "freezes" in any game I've played so far. I've read the forums and the FAQ and I know there's been a lot of "between turns" issues and I can't seem to get past mine. Reloading doesn't help because I guess it has something to do with the AI players activities. Neither does fiddling with the settings. I didn't really know where else to turn.

What it does is that it goes to the "between turns" screen, the music stays, I can move the cursor and it's animated to indicate it's busy, but the new turn never comes or maybe I just haven't waited long enough(the most I've waited I think is around 10 minutes).

I've ruled out graphic issues and made sure to get the latest version(which worked seeing as I don't have the new-unit-acquires-random-ability-on-training bug anymore) and the problem occurs regardless of full screen or window mode. I run the game on Windows XP and I've attached my most recent save game.

I also have a bug to report and a few questions...

Sometimes when I get the "auspicious omen" event it actually decreases the morale of that city instead of increasing it. Sometimes it works properly though or doesn't have an effect at all, but those two results have been rarer on my games so far and I can't say I have played many. I've had that problem with all the races I've played with so far and I'll see if I can't get a save file of it.

Also, when I'm buying a hero and the two choices don't strike my fancy, I can't back out on selecting one. Is this intentional? I understand heroes are powerful and quite customizable, but 200 ducats is a big amount to spend on and I'd rather be able to cancel and choose again if it means I can choose a hero that's more aesthetically pleasing or that fits better with my race's mindset even if I have to wait a week or more for a fresh pick. Mind you, it's probably just easier to reload, but all the other windows have the cancel button.

Among the deities you can pick, there's the Soulkeeper who adds 1 to melee. In the description it says it's often the duty of his followers to eradicate undead. Does this mean the wizard's units have extra bonuses against undead? Was this dropped? Or is it still considered for implementation?

Last but not least, the last game I played was with the Theria and I was being harassed by a Regency player with Ornithopters. Suffice to say I got pissed and cast the Goblin's Curse on their master. By then I had mostly ejected the invading units out of my defenseless cities. Does that spell actually do anything other than comic effect?

Thanks for your time and maybe I'll post some other bugs or concerns when I spot them.
01-12-2009 at 10:40 PM
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
Recently I've been trying to make a few maps/scenarios with the map editor.

few things I've noticed/thought might be nice/are confused about:

you don't seem to be able to use the cloudscape hexes unless you have it set to Low-Res.
do the Snowy Hills hexes turn into ordinary when it's summer?
when it says 0 moves for cloudscape hexes does that mean you can't move on it?

sometimes you can't change the starting population of a city(will gather more info on problem if you want).

you can't give them a hero to start with.

you don't seem to be able to set order of play, so you always go first.

the scripting looks great, but it's a bit confusing.
what does it mean when the variable is set to a number?
could it be possible to, in future versions, have casting a specific spell one of the actions?
could it be possible to invoke winter/summer with a scripting node?
when it says "give sphere" or whatever, what does it mean?
there is a whole bunch of hex types from Tunnel to Fungus Grotto that you only seem to get with the "Change terrain" action, is that for future expansion, or just not there yet?

the magic also seems a little weird.
why can you only have mind, energy and body spheres to start with? why is there no chaos?
when you click on one of the available spells for that sphere selection, does the "=>" next to it mean you start with it, or does is mean it's banned for you?

also, goblins still can't cross ocean.

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 01-29-2009 11:52 AM]
01-29-2009 at 11:38 AM
Seravajan
How is the current status on this game?
03-12-2009 at 02:04 PM
wonkyth
Good Question.
As far as I know, Radiant has his hands pretty full, what with subterra2 levelset + Eye of the Tempest + life.
It'd be nice to see LeyLines completed, but I'm not sure it's going to happen soon.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-14-2009 at 07:07 AM
Danjen02
Probably not, since a lot of things still lack a description. Last I checked, the humans, and one or two other races had full descriptions. There are also the occasional bugs that need to be fixed, including undiscovered AI quirks (there's always something ;)).

And, there's that problem I've always had on my Vista computer - either it runs slowly or crashes erratically. I really don't see why either, because the one computer I ran it on without any problems was a Windows 98, and worse in every way. Vista just seems to take it's time drawing the fade in/out between everything.

Eh, what can you do? :P

03-15-2009 at 05:25 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I'm not sure where it is in Vista, but in XP if you right click on the .exe or a shortcut and open Properties, you can click to the Compatibility tab and tell it to run in Compatibility Mode for an older version of Windows you can choose.

And to make the window itself conform to the appearance of the OS you chose (so that you don't get the Vista glass frame in an XP program, for instance), there is a "Disable visual themes" option there.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-18-2009 01:02 AM]
03-15-2009 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Danjen02 wrote:
either it runs slowly or crashes erratically.

I've had the same problems. Sometimes it takes up to five minutes just to do the FX from a spell.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
03-17-2009 at 06:40 AM
Danjen02
Can't wait to see this game hit a bug-free, stable status, especially if it gets multiplayer support over a network and map sharing. :)

03-25-2009 at 07:39 PM
Danjen02
I've finally figured out what settings I have to use for this to run smoothly and not crash (as much)! :D

If I want to play the game, then it must run in windowed mode on High-Res. Details are irrelevant to stability or gamespeed. The only problem with that, is that the lower part of the window is overlapping the taskbar, so if I try to click on that part, the game minimizes.

:?

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 04-06-2009 06:57 AM]
03-27-2009 at 04:27 AM
Danjen02

File: Azeroth.ley (2 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
Here's the map I've been working on so far. It's more or less a replica of the map of World of Warcraft. :D
I'm not sure how (or if you can) select a specific wizard to play as (ie, wiz0 is neutral, wiz1 is you, wiz2 is enemy, every time), so you're stuck playing as the Horde races. Interesting to note is that you actually control three different full races in this. Have fun. :)

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 04-06-2009 06:58 AM]
03-29-2009 at 08:23 AM
Danjen02
Sorry for the multiple posts in a row in this thread, but:

When a building says it increases a city's growth rate (ie - granary), how much does it actually increase it by?

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 04-06-2009 06:58 AM]
04-06-2009 at 06:55 AM
The Mystic
EDIT: Never mind, I misread the question.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 04-06-2009 09:44 PM]
04-06-2009 at 09:42 PM
jeffandy1234
Im an avid player of laylines and i have been for some time, once you get past the broken programing its not so bad. The only thing that needs to be changed is the texture smoothing and the background pics, or the windows background should not be see through, its way too confusing, maybe just jet black? :thumbsup
08-15-2009 at 03:48 AM
B.J.Earles
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, so I'll mention it. It seems that when you play the Alliance with the Theria as one of the two races, it lists the Etherial Wall as one of the units you can build. I thought that the Etherial Wall had been moved to the Elf race.

Anyway, I've been playing Leylines for a while, and I have to admit it's pretty good. The backgrounds can feel a little busy, but I don't mind. I've only had the game crash on me once or twice. Oh, and it would totally be cool if you could choose your color.
08-27-2009 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
B.J.Earles wrote:
It seems that when you play the Alliance with the Theria as one of the two races, it lists the Etherial Wall as one of the units you can build. I thought that the Etherial Wall had been moved to the Elf race.
I never noticed that before; then again, I normally don't play as an alliance, nor do I make Ethereal Walls.

Also, when you play as an alliance, you can build in any city, not just ones you built, or ones you've conquered that are the same race(s) as you.
Oh, and it would totally be cool if you could choose your color.
Yes, that would be nice, especially since you'd always know which color you are.

08-27-2009 at 03:48 PM
Danjen02
Yeah, the Alliance is buggy as heck. I avoid playing them, especially since I'm trying to learn humans, elves, or regency.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I have to play the game in windowed mode to avoid it being slow. If in fullscreen, each "tick" of the fading animation takes about 0.25s to play. So we're looking at about a 3 second delay between every screen transition.

Also, reminding Radiant to update this game again soon. :P

09-08-2009 at 05:58 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Seravajan wrote:
How is the current status on this game?
FWIW it's officially back in development. It's been awhile :)

Danjen02 wrote:When a building says it increases a city's growth rate (ie - granary), how much does it actually increase it by?
Every such building increases the maximum population by 1000. Actual city growth is an inverse exponential function based on that.

09-08-2009 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Radiant wrote:
FWIW it's officially back in development. It's been awhile :)
Sounds good to me! :D

Radiant wrote:
Every such building increases the maximum population by 1000. Actual city growth is an inverse exponential function based on that.
Er, so the growth rate depends on the maximum population?
And does the rate eventually level off at some point?

09-09-2009 at 02:05 AM
wonkyth
icon Re: Leylines: still beta testing (0)  
One would assume that the rate is constant.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
09-09-2009 at 11:37 AM
Danjen02
Right, but if there's 100 people vs. 250 people, chances are the group of 250 is going to increase in size a lot faster than the group of 100.

09-09-2009 at 05:35 PM
The Mystic
The growth rate depends on the population. The more people you have in a city, the slower the growth rate; and once the city hits the maximum population, the growth rate goes to zero.

09-09-2009 at 06:40 PM
wonkyth
Not exactly realistic, but very functional.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
09-11-2009 at 09:44 AM
Radiant
wonkyth wrote:
what does it mean when the variable is set to a number?
could it be possible to, in future versions, have casting a specific spell one of the actions?
could it be possible to invoke winter/summer with a scripting node?
(1) that means you can use "when variable = number" in other script nodes.

(2) I believe it's already there. (if not, then I'm running a different version than you, and you should wait 'til the next upgrade)

(3) you can do that by setting the turn number to something within winter range (36 to 52).

[Last edited by Radiant at 09-14-2009 08:44 PM]
09-14-2009 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
I am impressed that you were able to do a self-contained scripting language in the game, but it is, at times, somewhat clunky to use.

For example, if I wanted to change the terrain on a line of cells into another type, I would have to have one node per variable I wanted to use, then a node to change one cell, and another node to repeat it. As it stands, each node is more or less like one line of a script.

Are there any plans to make scipting faster or easier?

09-14-2009 at 11:13 PM
Radiant
Danjen02 wrote:
Are there any plans to make scipting faster or easier?
At the moment, no.

On the other hand, if people were using the scenario editor more often to make cool scenarios, I'd certainly consider adding options to it.

(note, though, that you may want to wait for the next release before trying that :) )

09-14-2009 at 11:28 PM
Danjen02
Any idea when it'll be ready? :P

09-15-2009 at 01:14 AM
Page 4 of 15
5678>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: the revival thread (Fantasy 4X Strategy Game, now available on Steam!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com