Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : /!\ ROUGELIKE TOPIC /!\
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Re: /!\ ROUGELIKE TOPIC /!\ (0)  
Nah, if you don't like it, you don't like it :) Unavoidable. I quite like ToME for that reason - solves a lot of the issues (while introducing entirely new ones!)

01-09-2008 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Is that a response to me? It's not that I don't like it. I do. It's just that for a long time, I saw Angband more as a canvas to work upon than a game to play. I thought maybe time would have changed that but no - I guess once a variant maintainer, always a variant maintainer :)

01-09-2008 at 04:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
eytanz wrote:
Is that a response to me? It's not that I don't like it. I do. It's just that for a long time, I saw Angband more as a canvas to work upon than a game to play. I thought maybe time would have changed that but no - I guess once a variant maintainer, always a variant maintainer :)
Never resist the urge to tinker, eh? :) I confess that I've never played EyAngband. Can you summarise the major differences from vanilla Angband?

01-09-2008 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: /!\ ROUGELIKE TOPIC /!\ (+1)  
calamarain wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Never resist the urge to tinker, eh? :) I confess that I've never played EyAngband. Can you summarise the major differences from vanilla Angband?

Well, it introduced a lot of interface changes - the more popular among them have all made their way back to vanilla by now. It also rebalanced the game a bit for an smoother difficulty curve (it was not as difficult to start but got harder in the mid-game.), but IIRC, the last couple of versions broke the balance as I started a major rebalancing I never finished.

There weren't really any major changes on the scale of wildernesses or anything like that. There were basically a lot of changes to different aspects of the game. I added percentile resistances, variable-power magic spells, a (partially implemented) ego-monster system, the bard class with its music instrument based magic, artifact spellbooks (I think I was the first to do that), potion mixing, and so forth.

Oh, and quests. I created a random quest system that was adopted in quite a few other variants.

01-09-2008 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Why am I getting the vague feeling that you created EyAngband? :?

01-09-2008 at 11:07 PM
eytanz
Monkey wrote:
Why am I getting the vague feeling that you created EyAngband? :?

Because I did - that's why calamarain was asking me about it.

01-09-2008 at 11:15 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
You know, I'd never made that connection with the username until just now. Still, I guess I was slightly ahead of Monkey :P

01-10-2008 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Rank Points: 106
Oneiromancer wrote:
Heh, IVAN was one of the few roguelikes that held my attention for more than 15 minutes, although that may be mostly because it wasn't ASCII. What exactly did it do badly, again? I'm having much more trouble deciphering this post compared to the previous one. ;)

Oh, I'm not saying IVAN isn't fun; I'm saying that the way it handles the storytelling part is bad (pages of text which never vary and which you're likely to start skipping after your tenth death in the underwater tunnel; not so much bad actually as overly conventional). Basically, when it comes to roguelikes the usual implentation of permadeath forces repetition of the entire game; messing up in Zot means you have to start over from the very beginning in Crawl, and getting to Zot is a quite large time investment. The usual means of storytelling suffers heavily as a result because you see most of the story a zillion times and only see new content/the end after playing for long enough to know how to survive to the end. Now, Crawl gets a pass because it takes a route similar to Doom by restricting its 'story' to a bit of background fluff and the story the user generates as a response to the randomly constructed content (which can be anything from the sad, short tale of a hopeful mage cruelly clubbed to death not even a minute after he entered the dungeon to a long tale of a successful warrior who manages to overcome all foes and escape with the Orb). Roguelikes that try to put a conventional story in the game in the same way console games use cutscenes don't succeed nearly as well since, while the console player can repeat a battle/level over and over until it's finally beaten and thereby progress in the story, the roguelike with permadeath asks for perfection and thus forces the player without the ability to do such all the way back to the beginning. It's sort of like what would happen if you have a book that you want to read and find a word you're not familiar with; the console version will let you read the rest of the sentence to try and get context, then pick up where you left off, while the roguelike version shuts itself the instant you fail to grasp something and forces you to read again from the beginning. The upshot here is that longer or complex plots are hard to support as a feature in games that force you to restart from the beginning, and the IVAN reference was part of my way of saying that even simple plots handled in conventional storytelling fashion can become more of a nuisance than a feature (in IVAN's case, it's not that the story isn't fun but that finishing the storyline, or even reaching Attnam if you're a newbie, takes so much time that the previous bits of story become old-hat; it's sort of like why you don't see terribly complicated storylines in arcade games, only those who have the change and time to spare for an arcade game will see the end).

You Only Live Once, while a little obscure (though I rather think it's not hard to find on Google), is mentioned because it alters the permadeath conditions in a rather pleasing way; the story isn't instantly reset when you die even though your original character stays dead, which means that even though the story is quite simple, it progresses and thus remains as a feature instead of just being fluff or a nuisance.

[Last edited by BDR at 01-10-2008 06:39 AM]
01-10-2008 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
I like YOLO, especially how it has permadeath, but more than one life in the same game, and how nothing is RNG'd except maybe monster AI.

Well, I beat it. 6 characters alive, 5 characters attempted, 2 escaped: Mushroom collecting dude and Timmy's father. Yep, I won with the elder. That thar fireball's mighty.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 01-11-2008 06:00 AM]
01-11-2008 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
ADOM/JADE now have a forum! Unfortunately, it's yellow.
03-08-2008 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Surely the pace of the resumed JADE development is a greater cause for celebration? :P

03-08-2008 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
For those of you who have a programming interest, as well as an interest in roguelike games... you might find the

7 Day Roguelike

competition fun. The object is to write a working roguelike game in 7 days. It doesn't have to be briliant or highly polished, the point is to work on it. Think of it as a practice run for a full roguelike. Like NaNoWriMo for roguelikes :)

03-08-2008 at 02:14 PM
calamarain
icon Re: /!\ ROUGELIKE TOPIC /!\ (+3)  
Nethack is tricky, but it's solvable, I've completed it a few times. But Angband? Oh dear, it's hard. It's very challenging indeed. Which is why this made me so happy.

Budkin III, the Dwarf Warrior.

My first ever winner in Angband. And by all the powers, it was a hard final battle. Woohoo!

04-30-2008 at 04:18 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : /!\ ROUGELIKE TOPIC /!\
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com