Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : 419 Eater
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon 419 Eater (0)  
Some light reading:

http://419eater.com/html/letters.htm

I just received one, thankfully not to my real e-mail address. I'm tempted to use my UK account (the reason I use my current Yahoo address is because I accidently signed up for a yahoo.co.uk address with my usual username) and bait them to at least send me a picture of them holding up a sign saying 'DROD' or something. (Deadly Rooms of Death: The Puzzle Game Preferred By Eight Out Of Ten 419 Scammers)

Would we, as a forum, be interested? I'm concerned mostly because these people are criminals and pulling a bait and switch like this may lead to negative ramifications (hence the UK account).

Matt

12-14-2003 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: 419 Eater (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
Would we, as a forum, be interested? I'm concerned mostly because these people are criminals and pulling a bait and switch like this may lead to negative ramifications (hence the UK account).
I dunno, Matt. It's hard to say what one of these fellows could do if we made him mad. From reading around on DROD.net it is possible to figure out that "Erik Hermansen" lives in "Seattle", from which you could eventually find my street address. Maybe the guy you make a fool out of decides he wants revenge, and has buddies that live in this area. It's far-fetched, but just an example. From reading Loompanics books, I never underestimate the capabilities of some idiot out for revenge.

But if you want to bait some scammers, without linking it back to "DROD", I'm more than interested to hear what happens. So keep us updated!

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Very good point there, and one I didn't think of. I'd need to come up with something fun to make these guys do, though.

I may just ignore it, though, if I can't come up with something funny.

Matt

12-14-2003 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Is it a coincidence that I was reading this 419 thread and saw this

I think not.
12-15-2003 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
You forgot to add :devil .

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-15-2003 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Why not just tell them what you want to do, and see if they go for it? Then there's no chance of negative outcome, we probably get a lot more people downloading the game, and whoever does it gets a cheap laugh. As long as they don't start sticking references to DROD in their spam or scam mails...

12-15-2003 at 08:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
DiMono wrote:
Why not just tell them what you want to do, and see if they go for it? Then there's no chance of negative outcome, we probably get a lot more people downloading the game, and whoever does it gets a cheap laugh. As long as they don't start sticking references to DROD in their spam or scam mails...
I'm not sure how this is any different. The typical format of these jokes is scammer asks for money, then baiter leads scammer on and gets him to do progressively stupider things without scammer understanding how stupid they are. Eventually the scammer figures it out and stops talking to the baiter, probably pretty angry at that point. In the examples I've seen, the baiters make up fictitious names and organizations that serve to protect themselves. If there really were a Church of Bread and Wine, (see the 419eater site) then I think whoever was running it would have a small risk of getting rocks thrown through their stained glass windows.

-Erik

12-15-2003 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I just mean be up-front about it. Say "Hey, would you be up for taking a picture of yourself holding a sign that says DROD so I can turn it in to a funny ad for my computer game?"

12-17-2003 at 04:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Heh, I've got one going at the moment. He's the umpteenth to respond to an ad for one of my motorbikes. I'm going to see how far he will go.
12-17-2003 at 08:55 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I don't know.....

This stuff can be very dangerous.....

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-17-2003 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I was interested to see how he was going to try to make money out of me. The bike is only worth 950UKP, which is peanuts compared to some of the scams they try to pull off. Anyway, I think I scared him off this morning when I asked for a copy of his headed notepaper as proof of who he was. I got 4 emails from him before he went quiet.
12-17-2003 at 04:34 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : 419 Eater
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com