Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Picture/Signature
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Picture/Signature (0)  
Is it possible to put a picture in a signature? (not counting smilies) If so, how?

I guess probably, because as far as I know, Oneiro's is custom-made.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-13-2003 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Picture/Signature (0)  
Mine is a custom made smilie. It's at the bottom of the list in the More Smilies... link. Schik added it there, anyone can use it if they want to.

You should be able to use any picture in your signature that you can in a post. That is, you will have to type [img](Insert URL here)[/img] where the URL is the location on the web of the picture you want to use.

The problem with doing this in the signature is it will just take that much longer to load every time someone wants to read a thread that has a post you made in it. Even when the picture is in the browser's cache it can decrease browsing speed. Especially with the speed problems this forum has been having, I don't think this is something we need. Everyone's avatar is probably enough in that respect. Although, if you wanted to remove the picture from your avatar and instead use one in your signature I guess that would be reasonable. The avatars are stored locally on the DROD server, though, which makes them load faster usually.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-13-2003 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
icon Re: Picture/Signature (+1)  
I wasn't actually planning to get one - I was just curious.

Question #2: Is it possible to change the background colour of my posts? (you know, instead of light/dark blue all the time)

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 12-13-2003 at 01:57 AM GMT]

12-13-2003 at 01:57 AM
Oneiromancer
Good save. And I didn't like the watermark idea either. :)

Some boards have the option of choosing different color styles. This one doesn't...yet. Perhaps Schik will think about doing it at some point, instead of the ever-present blue shades. But I'd rather see the Holds submission stuff refined, and the release of 1.7, before something like that.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-13-2003 at 02:02 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Until that time, we can always fiddle around with the colours. How about some sort of parchment colour?

Any suggestions?

Matt

12-13-2003 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
I think that on our profiles there should be the option to choose a colour for the background of our posts. However, there would need to be a neutral-coloured bar between posts by people of the same colour.

12-13-2003 at 02:16 PM
Oneiromancer
When you change the color of the background it should only be something that you see for yourself, when browsing the forum, not something you inflict upon others. Not everyone has the same taste in background colors.

Game on,

12-13-2003 at 07:49 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
That would be really neat, actually, although it's open to abuse unless we set the colours ourselves.

However, I'm not sure how easy this would be to do. At some point I'm going to have to take a look at the forum's PHP, but I'd guess that the colour is tied to what reply down it is (OP counted as 0). If it's even, use colour 2, otherwise colour 1.

To change this may require a fair amount of coding, but on the other hand it doesn't strike me as especially difficult coding unless there's a rather large gulf between poster details and the variable that determines which reply it is.

If you didn't understand that, it's probably not for you.

Edit: Oneiros has a good point, though. Despite the fact it distinguishes people's posts, at the least I'd restrict it to admin's choice or high posters.

Of course, we don't even have the traffic to justify making people's posts more distinctive. So although I still think it would be neat, perhaps later, when we have more than a collection of cool people.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 12-13-2003 at 08:05 PM GMT]

12-13-2003 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Mattcrampy wrote:
To change this may require a fair amount of coding, but on the other hand it doesn't strike me as especially difficult coding unless there's a rather large gulf between poster details and the variable that determines which reply it is.
It wouldn't be that difficult. However, I agree with Onei - I don't want how I see posts to be decided by other people (other than an admin).

People can express themselves with their avatars and signatures, I don't think we need to add colors and fonts as well.

If you want to make config changes with the admin tool, feel free, but if you're going to change any PHP please contact me first, as at any time I have a fair number of changes that aren't on the site. Without using something like cvs, it could be difficult for multiple people to work on the PHP code at the same time.

12-13-2003 at 10:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I haven't seen the code, obviously, but if it looks anything like the code I'm going to use for my guestbook when I get around to writing it it's probably something like

if ($postnum == 1) {
print table({bgcolor=>"001345"}, $tabledata);
} else {
print table({bgcolor=>"d4e8f6"}, $tabledata);
}
$postnum = 1 - $postnum;

Hint: that's perl, not php :D

If that's the case, it shouldn't be too difficult to set up some predefined background colours, then generate the background colour based on param("bgcolour"). If that's not the case, then I'm on crack and should be ignored.

[Edited by DiMono on 12-14-2003 at 01:49 AM GMT: undesired smiley]

12-14-2003 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I don't think people should be able to control the color of their posts in that manner - it will end up causing threads to look very clownish with a lot of different colors - and that's probably the best case scenario; it could be really headache-inducing if people reply to people with incompatible colors.

I'd suggest, if individual color customiztion is desired (I don't really miss it), then each thread should use a single color, determined by the person who started it. But I think Oneiromancer's suggestions are best.

12-14-2003 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
eytanz wrote: I'd suggest, if individual color customiztion is desired, then each thread should use a single color, determined by the person who started it.

That's a pretty good idea.

Would the posts still alternate between light and dark of the choice colour?

12-14-2003 at 03:22 AM
DiMono
Actually, how about changing the colour based on how popular the thread is?

12-14-2003 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
My preference by far is still to have multiple styles defined, and each user can select which style they want to view the site in.

12-14-2003 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
I think that's a little bit of code, a few new stylesheets, and a huge payoff. :thumbsup

12-14-2003 at 04:27 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Picture/Signature
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com