Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : win2linux savegame transfer ??
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon win2linux savegame transfer ?? (0)  
Hi.

I've installed DROD on Linux.

Is it possible to transfer savegames from windows to linux ? How ? It doesn't work for me.

I don't like the idea of beating 13 levels again.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-12-2003 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: win2linux savegame transfer ?? (0)  
Copying the data files probably won't work, but you can export your player, and re-import it on the other system.

12-12-2003 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Good call. If that doesn't work, it should...after all, if the hold files are importable on multiple systems then the player and the demo files should be too.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-12-2003 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
As someone who plans to switch from Windows to Linux in the near future, I totally support platform-independant dat files, if there's a way to do it.

12-14-2003 at 01:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
DiMono wrote:
As someone who plans to switch from Windows to Linux in the near future, I totally support platform-independant dat files, if there's a way to do it.
I'm surprised that .dat files aren't platform-independent now--they should be, but I guess there is a problem. In any case, copying .dat files between computers is not recommended, if you want to transfer data between them after that. Records in .dat files are given globally unique identifiers to facilitate transfers between different installations. If you copy one set of .dats to another installation, these GUIDs will no longer be unique although the records they point to may be intended to be unique. You risk introducing some really nasty errors into your data--the kind that show up unannounced at weird moments.

So it is much better to use the built-in export and import features.

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
DiMono wrote:

I actually oppose platform-independant dat files; dat files should be optimized to whatever computer uses them. This doesn't mean, of course, that cross-platform compatibility can't arise this way, but that it shouldn't be a goal.

That's what platform independant interfaces (such as export/import files) are for.

12-15-2003 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
My system is Debian Woody, and simply copying .dat files doesn't work. Moreover, DROD won't start ! (with some kind of message about bad data)

However, exporting data works well. At the moment I need just few rooms to finish level 19...

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-15-2003 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Copying .dat files between Windows and Linux should work. I've tested it before without problems. There's not any difference between the Windows and Linux .dat file format, and the dats installed by the Linux installer is in fact identical to the ones installed by the Windows installer*. If copying them doesn't work, something is wrong somewhere. Did you make sure the copied dats are identical to the source files ? Also, are they are writable by DROD ? Does copying .dat files from Linux to Windows work ?

In any case, exporting your player and holds from Windows and importing them in Linux should work (and is the preferred method). Let me know if you run into any more problems.

Edit: Just saw that you said using export was a success. Yay! :P

- Gerry

* Well, I haven't actually checked this, but they should be -- I've not created any Linux-specific dats.

[Edited by trick on 12-16-2003 at 09:42 PM GMT]
12-16-2003 at 09:39 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : win2linux savegame transfer ??
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com