Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote for the Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What does the Department of Benevolent Influence do?
things they should not PollPollPoll 4 10.81%
makes wonderful smells PollPollPoll 8 21.62%
exerts a benevolent influence PollPollPoll 25 67.57%

What's the Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence supposed to do?
whatever he feels like until somebody gets an eye poked out PollPollPoll 9 24.32%
directs the influencial extertions of beneficialities PollPollPoll 19 51.35%
Why you always hassling me like this? PollPollPoll 9 24.32%

How will you decide who to vote for?
I will use all manner of logicks and ingenufication. PollPollPoll 20 54.05%
My opinion will carerfully mirror the zeitgeist of the community. PollPollPoll 9 24.32%
I ask my television. PollPollPoll 8 21.62%

Do you really think you can responsibly form an opi--
Oh, shut up, already! PollPollPoll 31 100.00%

Well, I just wanted to be sure that--
Holy Jeebus, would you just shut up? PollPollPoll 32 100.00%

Who do you most want to be Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence?
Elfstone PollPollPoll 22 59.46%
Stephen4Louise PollPollPoll 10 27.03%
Tim PollPollPoll 5 13.51%
Total Votes 42 100%
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Vote for the Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence (0)  
In a few weeks, we'll have a new Director. Once again, I like all the choices. There is nothing wrong with continuing discussion and Q&A on candidates.

-Erik

11-05-2007 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Vote for the Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence (0)  
I can't make up my mind, so tell me. What would be your first goal as Director, ignoring already specified obligations?

11-05-2007 at 06:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Vote for the Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
I can't make up my mind, so tell me. What would be your first goal as Director, ignoring already specified obligations?
After recruiting the aforementioned positions. My first goal is to put together a team to create a monthly DRODcast. I have a rough idea of the content I would like to be included, but once the team leader is selected (s)he will have full control.

Steve.
11-05-2007 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Hey! Stop stealing my ideas Stephen! How did you know what I was thinking?
11-05-2007 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Ezlo wrote:
Hey! Stop stealing my ideas Stephen! How did you know what I was thinking?
It is one of the many skills that I will use once I am elected to the Directatorship :)
Now, hurry up and think of something nice, I can't decide what to have to dinner!

Steve.
11-05-2007 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I have two questions for the candidates, which some have already somewhat answered:
1. If you were required to state the mission of the Department as specifically and concisely as possible, what would you say?
2. What methods at your disposal would you avoid using, on principle, and what exceptions to such avoidances would you make?
Bonus points for providing rationale behind the answers.

11-05-2007 at 11:30 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
If you were an ice cream, which flavor would you be, and why?

11-06-2007 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Since I think I asked in the previous two elections, I'll ask you guys as well

Q: What do you think is the purpose of the DROD fan site? And where do you see it going during the next few months? :P
11-06-2007 at 12:35 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Here is my chance to see you in action: fight disagreement in the new contest thread: The Media of the Eighth

Lets see ye all in action!

11-06-2007 at 04:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Vote for the Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence (+2)  
First let me say that I'd rather wait with campaigning before Elfstone is fully recovered. Besides, my tonsils operation was a complete failure, having complications and so on. So I hope she gets better real soon.

But I can still answer some questions, in that case even if I'm not elected you know what some of my viewpoints are.
NiroZ wrote:
There are some things I want to do, like creating a special contest together with the DoC. Or a orderly disruption. But the first thing I think I want to do is to re-install a Normal Person like position.

Jatopian wrote:
I have two questions for the candidates, which some have already somewhat answered:
1. If you were required to state the mission of the Department as specifically and concisely as possible, what would you say?
We are here to help* you.
2. What methods at your disposal would you avoid using, on principle, and what exceptions to such avoidances would you make?
I think you are expecting too much from a Director. The Director only has powers over the Department's positions, nothing more. I don't see my (or any) Directorship more than a Secretary with a little bit vision. The only thing I do hope is to get people in this Department that has a genuine interest in other people, and really care about them.

Maurog wrote:
Good question. Plain Vanilla with lots of sugar. Great taste, but can also kill your teeth.

Ezlo wrote:
Q: What do you think is the purpose of the DROD fan site? And where do you see it going during the next few months? :P
After reading the front page, I'd say that it is written in such a way that it's meant as the reference site for new DROD players. For the next few months, I'd say that page needs a link to a FAQ, or the H&S Board. ;)

11-06-2007 at 05:20 AM
Stephen4Louise
Jatopian wrote:
1. The mission of my Department is to promote everything that is good about the DROD community.
2. There is no need to fear, and I'm sure the other candidates will agree, Snacko will not be getting the Missioner job :D
I won't be getting involved in fights or disagreements unless absolutely necessary. As I said before, the community already does a great job of self policing and this is one of the thing we should be celebrating, not trying to take away. (sorry techant)

Maurog wrote:
Blue Sea - Everyone is scared to vote for try it, but once they do, they realize it's the only proper choice :D

Ezlo wrote:
There is a problem with the fan site. Most of the fans hang out here on the forum and pay little or no attention to what is happening over there. I hope that whoever wins this contest will work with Ezlo to try and bring the two closer together and make it worth spending some time at.
Ways to do that could include, do away with the Illumination board and move all new Illuminations over there. An Illumination with added colour and pictures might be great. Of course there will be a link back to a topic in general to discuss the contents.
If the DRODcast works out, it should be hosted on the site rather than the forum.
More content! This department can use it's influence to encourage more participation and to inspire creativity.

Steve.

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 11-06-2007 11:10 AM]
11-06-2007 at 09:25 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Hmm. I don't think Elfstone's inability to campaign right now has really hurt her bid that much.

11-07-2007 at 04:55 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
I have now read all that postings on this subject which have appeared in my absence. and here are some thoughts (secreted to save space):

NiroZ asked “What would be your first goal as Director?”
Click here to view the secret text

Jatopian asked 1. If you were required to state the mission of the Department as specifically and concisely as possible, what would you say?”

I think I’m going to go back to what Erik said: “make the Forum more enjoyable”. That probably covers it all.

2. What methods at your disposal would you avoid using, on principle, and what exceptions to such avoidances would you make?”

Maurog asked “If you were an ice cream, which flavour (fixed!) would you be and why?”

Rich, smooth chocolate, with little pieces of toasted hazelnut and swirls of maple syrup. Why? - oh my darling, that would be telling!! ;) :kiss

Ezlo asked “What do you think is the purpose of the DROD fan site?

Tim said "First let me say that I'd rather wait with campaigning before Elfstone is fully recovered."

11-08-2007 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
Tim dear, you are ever the gentleman! It has been a truly grim week and I’m not out of the woods yet. I had honestly thought I would be back to work by now - naive of me of course. In fact I have been in constant pain for the last week and able to eat very little. It has left me feeling very worn out! Thank you for your concern and understanding. :)
While off topic - I hope you feel better soon!

11-09-2007 at 03:59 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Elfstone wrote:
Jatopian asked 1. If you were required to state the mission of the Department as specifically and concisely as possible, what would you say?”

I think I’m going to go back to what Erik said: “make the Forum more enjoyable”. That probably covers it all.
Yep, that's all that's really needed :) Hope your throat recovers soon, and you've got my vote.

11-09-2007 at 11:15 AM
Stephen4Louise
Elfstone wrote:
In fact I have been in constant pain for the last week and able to eat very little. It has left me feeling very worn out! Thank you for your concern and understanding. :)
At least it's a good excuse to eat plenty of that chocolaty swirly ice cream :D

Steve.
11-09-2007 at 12:28 PM
Elfstone
My thanks to Techant, Calamarain and Steve for their good wishes! :)

Stephen4Louise wrote:
At least it's a good excuse to eat plenty of that chocolaty swirly ice cream :D
Funny, but lots of people, before and since the operation, mentioned eating ice cream, but I have found the intense cold just too painful on already sore and infected wounds. An excuse to eat ice cream and I can't do it!!! - there really is no justice in this world! :rolleyes

11-09-2007 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Exactly why aren't I on here?

11-09-2007 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
You were too late, Snacko.

BbJ

11-09-2007 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
If anyone has any last minute questions before the poll ends tomorrow, now is the time to ask. Hopefully Elfstone and Tim will be around to answer them.

Steve.
11-16-2007 at 09:04 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Oh well. I didn't win. :)

Congrats to Elfstone and Steve! Well done you two!

11-17-2007 at 10:27 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Yes, congratulations! Elfstone, I'm sure you'll do a good job as the new director.

-Erik

11-17-2007 at 11:17 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yes, congratulations! Elfstone, I'm sure you'll do a good job as the new director.

-Erik
Thankyou!

- and my humble thanks to all of you who voted, not only for me but for the 2 gentlemen as well. Your participation in the founding of the Bureaucracy is important and much appreciated.

To Stephen and Tim, my commiserations but also my thanks for conducting a thoughtful and dignified election campaign.

And now, to business!

11-18-2007 at 07:59 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Does anyone else find it funny that Banjooies's sarcastic suggestion has become more or less a reality? ;)

I also heartily agree with elfstone.
11-18-2007 at 09:06 AM
Stephen4Louise
Hope I didn't miss the party! Well done Elfstone, I'm sure you will make a great director.

It was a fun campaign to participate in :)

Steve.
11-18-2007 at 09:33 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Congrats Elfstone! It was a fun campaign to not participate in.

11-18-2007 at 10:53 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
NiroZ wrote:
Does anyone else find it funny that Banjooies's sarcastic suggestion has become more or less a reality? ;)
Pixexplain plz.

11-19-2007 at 02:16 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Mattcrampy's first post in this thread may be of interest.

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 11-30-2007 01:45 AM]
11-19-2007 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'm happy to do official Mattcrampy endorsements for other candidates for $50!

...what?

Edit: ah, Banj's suggestion that Elfstone run the DoOD was in a private chat we had. That'd be why I couldn't find it.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 11-19-2007 10:57 AM]
11-19-2007 at 10:50 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Vote for the Director of the Department of Benevolent Influence (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com